Player Watch #3 Taylor Adams

Remove this Banner Ad

adams1.jpg

Player Profile:

Drafted by GWS with Pick 13 in the 2011 National Draft, Taylor Adams made his AFL debut in Round 5 of the 2012 season. After 31 games with the Giants the midfielder moved to Collingwood where he went on to play 10 seasons and five finals campaign for the Magpies. He joins the Sydney Swans with a wealth of experience including a Grand Final appearance in 2018. In 2020 he was named the club’s Best and Fairest and selected in the All-Australian team.

DOB: 20 Sep 1993
Draft: 2011
RECRUITED FROM: Collingwood

Last edited:
The one thing Adams does have is a good finals record. Which is more than you can say about nearly every other player in the team.
So does Joel Hamling.....

This line of argument is rubbish and a desperate attempt to justify his signing.

calm down mate.

I am just pointing out a fact. He does have a good finals record and most of our players don't.
But seriously you can't go picking guys just because they have a good finals record. Conversely, Chad, Errol and Heeney have a pretty average one so you going to drop them?

But seriously you can't go picking guys just because they have a good finals record. Conversely, Chad, Errol and Heeney have a pretty average one so you going to drop them?
It wouldn't be the sole reason I would pick someone, otherwise you would go and ask JPK to come out of retirement.

But absolutely the finals record of a player should be considered when picking the team.

It wouldn't be the sole reason I would pick someone, otherwise you would go and ask JPK to come out of retirement.

But absolutely the finals record of a player should be considered when picking the team.
I agree with that but imo (which counts for nothing) his experience is not enough to account for his recent form.

I agree with that but imo (which counts for nothing) his experience is not enough to account for his recent form.
He is going to have an issue regardless because Warner and Papley have to replace someone, and McInerney as well if he is fit.

Campbell was better last night and we'll see how he goes against Adelaide.

If it came down to the last position and who was going to be sub and it was between Adams, Cleary and Campbell. I would give serious weight to Adams' record in finals when making that decision.

Adams in a lot of trouble to hold his spot

With Chad, JMac and Papley to come back into our 23, three need to go out …Cory and Cleary (dispute an awesome first full game last night) are obvious ones …and one more will need to make way if we’re at full strength

I feel Campbell and Parker have got their place in the 23 now. Compare their set shots for goal to Adams set shot and it’s a no contest. Parker offers more in the middle and Braiden so much more in open play (his running goal just after Taylor’s horrendous miss for example)

The thing is he was great v Neale and in the shit losses v the dogs and port he was probably (sadly) our best mid.

Can't defend his last two games, but he didn't cash in against the minnows in fact looked shite.

But if the others all go to dishwater against the good teams well that's why he would stay.

looks shagged though and playing like shit the last 2. Started ok last night then looked gassed and the errors were like really poor

I've been saying this since the a little after the season started: get rid of him.

I've never seen him do anything even remotely remarkable on the field, and I'm nervous af whenever he goes near it or has possession. The guy just plain sucks. How he manages to get a game is beyond me.

I've been saying this since the a little after the season started: get rid of him.

I've never seen him do anything even remotely remarkable on the field, and I'm nervous af whenever he goes near it or has possession. The guy just plain sucks. How he manages to get a game is beyond me.
Always like it when someone makes an entrance!

Welcome 🙏

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like what Cleary has done so far, but I don't think he's anything more than an insurance policy (in case of injuries). Cleary, Corey Warner, and to a lesser extent, Campbell, are all likely to lose their spots with Chad, Paps & JMac to return.

I wouldn't go as far as to say Adam's spot is secure. He'll need to perform to keep his spot, but experience gets additional weight during finals. We have no idea how Cleary will perform during finals so sometimes you just have to go with the known quantity rather than gambling on someone who may go into their shell when shit hits the fan in a final.

I can see the value he brings to the team. He's a decent extractor at ground level, he knows when and where to block for team mates at stoppages and is quick enough to apply some pressure and lay a few tackles as well.

Having said that, his disposal is often a liability and unless he's impacting the game enough in other ways to offset that then he's going to have to make way for players who bring more to the table. Given the run we had with injuries last year I don't blame the club at all for bringing in some midfield depth. Especially given we didn't necessarily realise how well Heeneys move to the midfield would turn out, or that Jordon would turn out to be best 22 as well.

And that depth may still come in handy yet over the next 12 months. The fact he's borderline best 22 doesn't necessarily mean he'll be stuck in the reserves.

Long rant coming in…

I’ve been reading posts about Adams across a number of different threads and to be honest I feel like I must be on another planet. There is a narrative forming that offering Adams a contract was a mistake and was not thought through. Or that the bloke could be a dud. I could not disagree more.

Firstly, we can forget about the Swans being minor premiers this years without Adams. He was a critical cog of a machine that was indisputably one of the most dominant teams in recent memory. We were 3.5 games clear on top of the ladder at over 150 percent. Without Adams - and with the injuries to Parker, Mills, even Sheldrick, etc - our midfield would not have had an extractor that made our stars look like stars.

Secondly, while Adams has been out of form recently (btw he has good company across the park, including but not limited to Blakey, Grundy, Errol and McCartin), he is a top line player. He would have played in last years grand final bar his injury, and likely would have been a premiership vice captain. He has also been very good this year for us. In addition to the start of the year, he has been one of the few would could hold their heads high is some of our less defensible losses. The guy plays his guts out every week.

Thirdly, we have lacked depth and experience since the start of our rebuild, and Adams offers both in spades. If he plays several games of reserves over the next couple of years, that doesn’t mean his recruitment was a mistake. It means our youth is firing and we have strong depth if they get injured or need to recapture form in the reserves. This would be a good thing.

Finally, and most disappointingly for me, where the heck is the Bloods spirit on this board? Swans champion teams have been built with players who were undervalued by their previous teams and came to the Swans for opportunity and/or a new start. Did all of those players have a seamless ride after coming across? Heck no! So how about instead of pulling Adams down and saying he is a mistake or a dud,’we get around the bloke and wish him the very best as a true member of the mighty Bloods! Because I guarantee you there will be no one more aware of how much more Adams can give than himself, and very few AFL players working as hard as him to get back to where he knows he can perform (just listen to his podcast at the start of this year, or how his Bloods team mates mentioned how hard he trains and the standards he sets).

End rant.

Edit: you can agree with me on the above and still think that he may not be best 22 for the finals series. I just think it is crazy to say his recruitment was a mistake.

Long rant coming in…

I’ve been reading posts about Adams across a number of different threads and to be honest I feel like I must be on another planet. There is a narrative forming that offering Adams a contract was a mistake and was not thought through. Or that the bloke could be a dud. I could not disagree more.

Firstly, we can forget about the Swans being minor premiers this years without Adams. He was a critical cog of a machine that was indisputably one of the most dominant teams in recent memory. We were 3.5 games clear on top of the ladder at over 150 percent. Without Adams - and with the injuries to Parker, Mills, even Sheldrick, etc - our midfield would not have had an extractor that made our stars look like stars.

Secondly, while Adams has been out of form recently (btw he has good company across the park, including but not limited to Blakey, Grundy, Errol and McCartin), he is a top line player. He would have played in last years grand final bar his injury, and likely would have been a premiership vice captain. He has also been very good this year for us. In addition to the start of the year, he has been one of the few would could hold their heads high is some of our less defensible losses. The guy plays his guts out every week.

Thirdly, we have lacked depth and experience since the start of our rebuild, and Adams offers both in spades. If he plays several games of reserves over the next couple of years, that doesn’t mean his recruitment was a mistake. It means our youth is firing and we have strong depth if they get injured or need to recapture form in the reserves. This would be a good thing.

Finally, and most disappointingly for me, where the heck is the Bloods spirit on this board? Swans champion teams have been built with players who were undervalued by their previous teams and came to the Swans for opportunity and/or a new start. Did all of those players have a seamless ride after coming across? Heck no! So how about instead of pulling Adams down and saying he is a mistake or a dud,’we get around the bloke and wish him the very best as a true member of the mighty Bloods! Because I guarantee you there will be no one more aware of how much more Adams can give than himself, and very few AFL players working as hard as him to get back to where he knows he can perform (just listen to his podcast at the start of this year, or how his Bloods team mates mentioned how hard he trains and the standards he sets).

End rant.

Edit: you can agree with me on the above and still think that he may not be best 22 for the finals series. I just think it is crazy to say his recruitment was a mistake.

Great post

A good reminder to us all.

There was an important act I saw from Adams after the Collingwood game that showed me how invested he is at the club and how an important senior player he is. As the players went down the race and were about to sing the song, he grabbed Errol and kept telling him multiple times something like "You tried all game". He knew what a tough game it was for Errol, and he saw that he didn't drop his head and ended up kicking the winning goal. This really stood out to me.

Long rant coming in…

End rant.

Ha, a decent rant there & some good points.

The counter position is that Adams’ best years are behind him, his form has dropped away alarmingly & with a 3 year contract, he could become a blocker that stifles the development of Cleary & Sheldrick.

Only time will tell which way it goes.

He’ll either be remembered as a premiership hero & a stroke of recruiting genius, or a major list clogger.

I think we can all agree - we hope it’s the former!

Ha, a decent rant there & some good points.

The counter position is that Adams’ best years are behind him, his form has dropped away alarmingly & with a 3 year contract, he could become a blocker that stifles the development of Cleary & Sheldrick.

Only time will tell which way it goes.

He’ll either be remembered as a premiership hero & a stroke of recruiting genius, or a major list clogger.

I think we can all agree - we hope it’s the former!
This is a good summary of the counter position.

And if he not only blocks the progression of our younger talent and either forces LP out or blocks him from our best 22, then there will be many, including me, that will be very annoyed, especially if LP proves he still has a bit left.

But if he plays well, earns his spot, then there is no counter argument to his signing.

I can see the value he brings to the team. He's a decent extractor at ground level, he knows when and where to block for team mates at stoppages and is quick enough to apply some pressure and lay a few tackles as well.

Having said that, his disposal is often a liability and unless he's impacting the game enough in other ways to offset that then he's going to have to make way for players who bring more to the table. Given the run we had with injuries last year I don't blame the club at all for bringing in some midfield depth. Especially given we didn't necessarily realise how well Heeneys move to the midfield would turn out, or that Jordon would turn out to be best 22 as well.

And that depth may still come in handy yet over the next 12 months. The fact he's borderline best 22 doesn't necessarily mean he'll be stuck in the reserves.
The thing is those disposals he is liable for are few and far between, it doesn't offset the rest of his work in the slightest, it's just noticeable when someone ***** up especially when you're focusing on it.

Yeah he has the odd blue, probably averages 1 shocker disposal a game if you span it across the season (there's been games where he's had none, and games where he's had a couple). heck I've seen Gulden butcher the ball 7 times in 5 minutes on multiple occasions this year. And you've got a guy like Dangerfield who has built a Brownlow and premiership career off playing blindfolded. Adams goes alright.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #3 Taylor Adams

Remove this Banner Ad

Back