Player Watch #3 Taylor Adams

Remove this Banner Ad

adams1.jpg

Player Profile:

Drafted by GWS with Pick 13 in the 2011 National Draft, Taylor Adams made his AFL debut in Round 5 of the 2012 season. After 31 games with the Giants the midfielder moved to Collingwood where he went on to play 10 seasons and five finals campaign for the Magpies. He joins the Sydney Swans with a wealth of experience including a Grand Final appearance in 2018. In 2020 he was named the club’s Best and Fairest and selected in the All-Australian team.

DOB: 20 Sep 1993
Draft: 2011
RECRUITED FROM: Collingwood

Last edited:
I accept the view that other players may overtake Adams. But I don’t think it is fair to say that Adams may block them. Adams is responsible for putting his best foot forward. The coaches are responsible for who they select, and I don’t think any can say that the coaches are 100% bonkers for keeping Adams in the team at the moment, regardless of preferences for who should start (to be clear, I was in the camp of trying Sheldrick against Adelaide and giving Adams and rest, but also understand the view the coaches have taken on trying to build momentum).

Stepping back, it is not reasonable to expect that the Swans have depth AND not have emerging players wait longer than they would otherwise AND not have some senior players get overtaken and spend potentially significant time in the reserves. By its very definition, having depth means having AFL quality players playing reserves, and their salary and/or future growth potential that comes with it.

It is a good problem to have! Especially if we are also retaining our stars, which we are!

64% TOG and that’s with Heeney out of the side. It’s going to be sad for him but he’ll be squeezed out for finals. Parker offers more as a forward than he does

Didn't really do much wrong tonight, his contested stuff was excellent. Went at 100% DE in the first half. Agree with King could be a potential sub come finals.

Campbell Francis Fox and Cleary drop out so i reckon he either starts as sub or Lloyd does. Still think his contested brand of footy will stand up more just didn't have to do much tonight because both teams didn't want to get injured so it was so uncontested

Campbell Francis Fox and Cleary drop out so i reckon he either starts as sub or Lloyd does. Still think his contested brand of footy will stand up more just didn't have to do much tonight because both teams didn't want to get injured so it was so uncontested
Don't see Campbell getting dropped

I can see Adams in the starting 22 for the 1st final. I think they will want another contested player to support Rowbottom. It will be tight contested football.

Parker probably plays forward for the early part of the game. Then maybe Campbell/Mcinerney as the sub.
That's how they used Parker tonight and it worked pretty well. Mainly forward early. CBAs later. I sit down near the fence so I can't tell what happens in CBAs.

Re his limited TOG, I think I mentioned this in the game day thread but we possibly might've seen similar TOG from Parker if he'd played most of the year as Adams has done.

In 2024, Parker has played 4 full VFL games, 4 full AFL games and 3 games as a starting sub. That's still less than the number of full AFL games Adams has played this year. So it just makes sense to try and manage Adams in-games to make up for the lack of breaks and time spent on the sidelines that has clearly benefitted Parker.

I also think we wouldn't have bothered managing Adams if we weren't convinced there would be a spot for him. If he needed to convince Horse & co of his value, I'd imagine they'd have been trying to give him ample game time and opportunities to show what he can do.

Re his limited TOG, I think I mentioned this in the game day thread but we possibly might've seen similar TOG from Parker if he'd played most of the year as Adams has done.

In 2024, Parker has played 4 full VFL games, 4 full AFL games and 3 games as a starting sub. That's still less than the number of full AFL games Adams has played this year. So it just makes sense to try and manage Adams in-games to make up for the lack of breaks and time spent on the sidelines that has clearly benefitted Parker.

I also think we wouldn't have bothered managing Adams if we weren't convinced there would be a spot for him. If he needed to convince Horse & co of his value, I'd imagine they'd have been trying to give him ample game time and opportunities to show what he can do.
100% we saw last week Grundy had a 64% TOG down from his average of like 75-77%. So we might not be seeing all players managed but still we have gotten rest into Warner, Rampe Grundy Adams Heeney and McCartin in the last fortnight

Campbell has to play. His contested work has improved greatly and it's chalk and cheese when you compare his disposal skill with Adams.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They are apples and oranges. They're not competing for the same position unless it's as sub.
I'd say they are. They are competing for the 22/23 spot in the team along with Cleary and Fox (all different players). Given the ability of footballers to play multiple positions, it essentially means that they are going for those last 2 spots in the team. Unless of course you feel Adams is playing a role that is unique to him and essential to our team?

I'd say they are. They are competing for the 22/23 spot in the team along with Cleary and Fox (all different players). Given the ability of footballers to play multiple positions, it essentially means that they are going for those last 2 spots in the team. Unless of course you feel Adams is playing a role that is unique to him and essential to our team?
What an odd take that question. You wouldn't pick Campbell as an inside mid and you wouldn't pick Adams as a winger. Depends what the team needs. Could be both or neither but you don't pick a "22nd player" on that basis. Sub is a different matter where versatility and/or impact comes into play.

What an odd take that question. You wouldn't pick Campbell as an inside mid and you wouldn't pick Adams as a winger. Depends what the team needs. Could be both or neither but you don't pick a "22nd player" on that basis. Sub is a different matter where versatility and/or impact comes into play.
Let me explain. Say if Adams is in the side to provide inside support. If he's not selected, then his role can be done by giving additional inside time to Parker, Gulden, McInerney or Papley. Florent can go in and under as can Roberts. Campbell then takes up the slack for any of these guys when they're on ball. So even though Campbell and Adams are not similar players, they could be competing for the last few spots.

Let me explain. Say if Adams is in the side to provide inside support. If he's not selected, then his role can be done by giving additional inside time to Parker, Gulden, McInerney or Papley. Florent can go in and under as can Roberts. Campbell then takes up the slack for any of these guys when they're on ball. So even though Campbell and Adams are not similar players, they could be competing for the last few spots.
I've followed Aussie Rules for 60 years. Played a few of those, mainly at half back.
I really don't need explanations. Thanks anyway.

Adams should be spewing.

JMc knee is buggered but is selected (Hi Sam Reid). Watch him run.

In the first quarter, he started to sprint and took 3 steps and slows down. Didn't see him change direction at high speed at all. He is an elite runner with significant stamina. It will not any better in 2 or 3 weeks. Can he play wing again? No. We can use Gulden, Lloyd, Campbell, Florent etc. We have plenty of receivers but not enough insiders.

He left leg is depowered and unstable. Can't plant left foot and twist when kicking across his body with two grubbers the result. Can only kick straight through the ball.

Amartey rolls his ankle, but selected, and plays (due to the Longmire mantra of 3 talls) another nothing game with a few chases and a goal in the last minutes.

Mills was simply ordinary. Health heavily effected by Gastro, but is captain, so maybe a pass.

Campbell has a groin issue and the grief of losing a family member, so relegated to the bench, but provides a huge spark to the team in his 40 minutes.

Adams plays 19 games, he is a smart footy player, and tough as teak and tooks any role given. He is a finals player. We are lucky we have him.

Sent from my SM-G990E using Tapatalk

Adams should be spewing.

In the first quarter, he started to sprint and took 3 steps and slows down. Didn't see him change direction at high speed at all. He is an elite runner with significant stamina. It will not any better in 2 or 3 weeks. Can he play wing again? No. We can use Gulden, Lloyd, Campbell, Florent etc. We have plenty of receivers but not enough insiders.

He left leg is depowered and unstable. Can't plant left foot and twist when kicking across his body with two grubbers the result. Can only kick straight through the ball.

Amartey rolls his ankle, but selected, and plays (due to the Longmire mantra of 3 talls) another nothing game with a few chases and a goal in the last minutes.

Mills was simply ordinary. Health heavily effected by Gastro, but is captain, so maybe a pass.

Campbell has a groin issue and the grief of losing a family member, so relegated to the bench, but provides a huge spark to the team in his 40 minutes.

Adams plays 19 games, he is a smart footy player, and tough as teak and tooks any role given. He is a finals player. We are lucky we have him.

Yep agree. I don't see how Juzzy can gain enough confidence and movement in that knee in the next 2 weeks to be good enough and Adams can directly help with one of the major weaknesses for us on the weekend in the contested possessions, down by 15-20 for most of the day. Think Campbell at the sub role could be a good play in general as it expands the gap in speed he has when everyone else has tired legs

I hope Adams is given an opportunity in place of JMac in the prelim.

JMac was visibly hampered by his injury and added to our poor performance throughout the first 3 quarters.

I'd give JMac until the GF to prove his fitness, but in a match simulation (or close to it) where he's expected to go full tilt and prove he's capable of changing directions etc. If he can't do that, or gets re-injured then he simply has to miss out.

Adams and Fox are too good to be left out while playing Juzzy at his current capacity.

Is JMac likely to recover by the prelim or GF?I don't know, but would be surprised if he did. But his inclusion could have cost us the game if not for some last quarter heroics.

Adams should be spewing.

My thoughts exactly.

Adams should be spewing.

Great post. In hindsight I think we got the call wrong. It'll be interesting to see if Horse adjusts.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #3 Taylor Adams

Remove this Banner Ad

Back