Player Watch #3 Taylor Adams

Remove this Banner Ad

adams1.jpg

Player Profile:

Drafted by GWS with Pick 13 in the 2011 National Draft, Taylor Adams made his AFL debut in Round 5 of the 2012 season. After 31 games with the Giants the midfielder moved to Collingwood where he went on to play 10 seasons and five finals campaign for the Magpies. He joins the Sydney Swans with a wealth of experience including a Grand Final appearance in 2018. In 2020 he was named the club’s Best and Fairest and selected in the All-Australian team.

DOB: 20 Sep 1993
Draft: 2011
RECRUITED FROM: Collingwood

Last edited:
He's been pretty unlucky to find himself in a team with an almost 100% fit list. Every chance he's in the side more often than not most weeks and may still find himself in a grand final somehow. Couldn't imagine he would have complained at this stage.

It would also be pretty silly to want to jump ship next year. He's still got more chance of a flag being a fringe player with us than he would anywhere that he'd be best 22 every week.

Sam Edmund saying he was very frustrated in the aftermath
Yeah, I saw the twitter post.

Whether its a problem all depends on whether he's behaving in a team-first, professional manner.

Expressing a bit of frustration is fine if its "I'm frustrated my performances haven't been good enough to win a spot".

But if it was a chuck-the-toys-out-of-the-cot tantrum, blaming Horse, or anyone else at the club, then its an issue.

Yeah, I saw the twitter post.

Whether its a problem all depends on whether he's behaving in a team-first, professional manner.

Expressing a bit of frustration is fine if its "I'm frustrated my performances haven't been good enough to win a spot".

But if it was a chuck-the-toys-out-of-the-cot tantrum, blaming Horse, or anyone else at the club, then its an issue.

Well we must not rate him at all not even a emergency.

Its a bit peculiar especially the first half against GWS im certain Adams would of made more contests as we were obliterated in the middle.

Common sense would dictate you would try and improve that area for the following game right? i mean if Toby kicks those 2 sitters from 20m out we probably lose.

Adams is a hard player. Hard players wins finals. Unfit flashy players gives you nothing.

Adams plays like ROK or Jude and we are going against the best stopping team with a lot of flashy players.

Unless Port are cooked, the game win will be won by the team, who is the hardest for the longest.

Sent from my SM-G990E using Tapatalk

I really feel for Adams. Not seeing him listed as an emergency is a bit of a concern.

Not suggesting that Adams has spat the dummy, but if he's been overlooked as an emergency then he's fallen way down the pecking order.

He'd need an injury to Parker, Heeney, Rowbottom or Chad. Or poor performances from Fox. JMac or Campbell to make the GF from here (provided we make it of course).

The current "meta" gameplay is all about putting speed on the ball coupled with precision passing, dunno why you guys would want him.
Because contest focussed teams have broken the backs of speed focussed teams at times. They obliterated us in the mids last game.

All well and good to back our own team focus as long as we don't melt under the pressure, which we have shown can happen to us. And Adams has been a part of a successful team chemistry for majority of the year. I totally understand if he's peeved, I more so find it odd that he isn't even an emergency when he is clearly the next best player.

The logical part of it is that he's essentially been replaced by Parker, so unless he or a similar type is unavailable, Adam's won't play. The risk is that Adam's has been the superior mid chop out whilst Parker looks off the pace in that area.

Ultimately i don't think the Parker/Adam's selection will be the difference in winning or losing. If we get belted, Adam's wouldn't have turned it around, and if it's close then it means our mids have played well and it comes down to our flare players (and Parkers forward craft) closing out the win. So either way I feel we can rest easy knowing this selection likely won't be the difference. Adam's needs to control what he can control and keep focussed, all it takes is 1 more injury and he's playing in a GF.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The McKirdy/Edmund tweets are telling to me, at least how I perceive it (I could be very wrong...)

Two unrelated journalists clearly making the same inference, the one with a vested interest in - and likely connections within - the club being the one who deletes his tweet.

That's suspect to me.

Combined with the uncharacteristic non-Sydney-affiliated leak of team selection, and the absence of Adams as an emergency... there is something there.

Whatever it is, I hope it's contained and resolved with minimal dramas.

The McKirdy/Edmund tweets are telling to me, at least how I perceive it (I could be very wrong...)

Two unrelated journalists clearly making the same inference, the one with a vested interest in - and likely connections within - the club being the one who deletes his tweet.

That's suspect to me.

Combined with the uncharacteristic non-Sydney-affiliated leak of team selection, and the absence of Adams as an emergency... there is something there.

Whatever it is, I hope it's contained and resolved with minimal dramas.
Yeah whatever it is, it's not a welcome distraction.

I won't be reading too much into it for now though.

We are choosing again 2 players with big questions marks over a fully fit Adams.

If we win Mills is coming in for the GF anyways.
Yeah I'm a bit uncomfortable with that choice too. Longmire has a history of playing injured players. Kinda fed up with it.

I'm making the assumption Longmire has learnt his lesson and Jmac and Campbell are fully fit from a weeks break? Surely he can't make the same mistake again, right? Right? RIGHT? :disrelieved:

Anyway, this ain't the Grand Final so there's still hope for Adams.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #3 Taylor Adams

Remove this Banner Ad

Back