Player Watch #33: Kamdyn McIntosh Re-Signed until 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

No point being a gut runner if you actually don't have a positive impact on the contest.

Don't get me wrong, I love what he has given the club over the years, seems like a ripping lad, would love to have a beer with him...

But we are only hanging onto him due to sentiment, not what he brings to the table as a footballer (anymore anyway).
Judging our movements over past few weeks doesn’t seem like sentiment to me. KMAC is a break glass type of player. He will come back and be in the top couple of trials and set a high training standard. He is the exact type of player you need to help lead on the training track. IF he gets game that’s hardly his fault the way posters are making it out to be. As other posters have stated he’ll drive others to push past him. The perfect win/win in my eyes and will be earning **** all whilst doing it. Do I think his first choice? **** no. Do I think he is handy to have around the place? 100%

Last edited:
Judging our movements over past few weeks doesn’t seem like sentiment to me. KMAC is a break glass type of player. He will come back and be in the top couple of trials and set a high training standard. He is the exact type of player you need to help lead on the training track. IF he gets game that’s hardly his fault the way posters are making it out to be. As other posters have stated he’ll drive others to push past him. The perfect win/win in my eyes and will be earning ** all whilst doing it. Do I think his first choice? ** no. Do I think he is handy to have around the place? 100%
Everything you said, plus the fact he will do everything asked by the coach to the best of his ability, which couldn't be said of quite a few this year.
I think a lot on here forget we aren't playing afl fantasy, there are more things going on than what you see on a stats sheet.
You need good club men that help with culture and environment, experience and personality.
I do hope he doesn't play every game as that means there are youngsters not pushing past him.

Has stuck around playing VFL and earning his spot back every time.
He played one VFL game halfway through the season. One. And he hardly earned his spot back. He played one good quarter in the VFL and was straight back in.

The right call. Anyone saying "but he'll take games from the kids" doesn't understand that many of the kids we draft will only be capable of 6-12 games of AFL next season.
It’s him taking games off Green and Campbell and Banks and Sonsie. If we don’t play the young blokes then next year we will be delisting Kmac and the kids that he blocked from proving themselves. He really isn’t a player that influences games and he won’t stop us from getting thrashed by the good sides so really what is the point.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s him taking games off Green and Campbell and Banks and Sonsie. If we don’t play the young blokes then next year we will be delisting Kmac and the kids that he blocked from proving themselves. He really isn’t a player that influences games and he won’t stop us from getting thrashed by the good sides so really what is the point.
He’s not blocking anyone? He doesn’t pick himself. He trains his arse off and gets picked. If he gets selected then that’s because they see what he may offer. He got offered a contract and he signed it. Stop blaming HIM

He's only blocking one of them at any one point in time. The youngsters can rotate through and if they are worthy then K-Mac can have rest.

Mature body, good trainer, runs hard, positive influence around the club.

Good on him, but I’ll be really disappointed if Macca runs around in the seniors if I see ANY of our 2+ year youngsters in the VFL like Banks, Clarke, Smith, Green etc…

In 2024, there were 102 x non-defenders to play 20+ games who were 25yo+. Only 4 didn’t get a coaches vote - Swallow (mostly sub), Owies, Holman and …. Macca !

Of those 102 x players have a wild guess at who had the lowest player rating? Yep, our man Macca.

In 2023 there were 108 x non-defenders to play 20+ games. Only 8 didn’t get a coaches vote. Go to the front of the class if you picked it that Macca was one of them.

But in fairness this time he wasn’t last in player ratings. He was 106th of 108th.

Now in 2022 there was 84 x players in the same cohort. 5 of them didn’t get a coaches vote. And no, Macca wasn’t one of them! He was one of the next group of 4 that got 1 x vote!!

And his player rating was 64th out of 84.

He didn’t get a coaches vote in 2021 either, and rated 114th out of 135.

So that’s 4 x seasons and 82 x games playing as predominantly a wingman with 1 x coaches vote when in the prime age of his career. Coupled with being last in player ratings for the same period it’s pretty dire.

As a comparison in the same period of 2021-24 Brandon Ellis has 30 votes in 49 games. Lachie Hunter has 10 votes in 61 games. Seb Ross has 25 votes in 71 games.

3 x guys who’ve retired or been given the ar*e.

Anyway …. if Macca plays VFL all year and only plays if injuries become really dire so be it. It’s just a baffling decision given history tells you the key to development is getting games into the youngsters ASAP, and we have 9 x 100+ game players not including Macca on the list, so experience around the club isn’t an issue at all.

The temptation to play him will be too much in 2025 I guarantee it, and it’ll take 15-20 games off the kids.

Ps. None of this is Macca’s fault and good luck to him.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I think he’ll play plenty of games next year. We still haven’t drafted a tall player with a big tank. Until we do the coaches are going to have to keep falling back on Macca as no one on the list has shown they can play wing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Banks and Hugo got first crack at the wing. Kmac is a big body we need around the kids no issues for me.

Banks and Hugo got first crack at the wing. Kmac is a big body we need around the kids no issues for me.
Banks still has a way to go.

If Kmac is getting games ahead of Sonsie, Green, Clarke, Banks etc it's simply means they need to lift their standards to a professional AFL standard to get a game.
If they aren't doing enough to get a game in a side that will finish bottom 4, they certainly need to do a lot more to get a game when he eventually rise up the ladder.

Perfect clubman to set an example to our younger players on what they need to do to craft out a 190 game career.

Hopefully he gets the 200 milestone and serves us well for 2025.

Culture around the club, experience, hardened body, just to name a few.

I think he’ll play plenty of games next year. We still haven’t drafted a tall player with a big tank. Until we do the coaches are going to have to keep falling back on Macca as no one on the list has shown they can play wing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FMD …. That’s because nobody has been given a decent crack at the wing because Pickett and Macca had a mortgage on those spots. Nearly everyone wanted Hugo delisted … he gets a string of games playing wing in 2024 and whattya know … he plays some pretty decent football and might just make it as a player - but if he didn’t get an opportunity in 2024 he’s probably delisted and career cooked right now.

Sam Banks in 2024 … he finally got full games from R18-23… had 16 / 17 / 15 / 14 / 25 / 16. His average player rating those 6 x games was just under 11, which is exceptional.

Having Macca on the list will deny opportunities and this is what annoys me about his retention. When Yze has suffered his 8th loss in a row and is choosing between Macca and Clarke for the wing in R14, we all know what’s going to happen.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #33: Kamdyn McIntosh Re-Signed until 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Back