Player Watch #36 James Trezise - Re-Signed for 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Can someone give me a player comparison of who we think trezise will model his game off? What player do we think/want trezise to be like when he’s fully developed?

Can someone give me a player comparison of who we think trezise will model his game off? What player do we think/want trezise to be like when he’s fully developed?

Of our recent players, Broad for sure. Essentially starts at a similar age, similar shaky kicking, in that mid sized defender range, can run and is very committed to tackling etc, so like Broad, is likely to make a good pacifier for dangerous forwards who like to run a lot.

Of our recent players, Broad for sure. Essentially starts at a similar age, similar shaky kicking, in that mid sized defender range, can run and is very committed to tackling etc, so like Broad, is likely to make a good pacifier for dangerous forwards who like to run a lot.
Okay thank you! I can get behind a long term broad replacement 😃

Broad seems a good idea, I reckon trezza is a good mark and especially a good spoil. He can run into space and set up plays with runners alongside.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

images

the ladies love it

But with a bit more aggro than Broad as well. In some of the games he looks always ready to fight someone.

Signings like this are easy to just accept as being good or ok. He has not been on the list long & shown he is not unplayable. I don't think he has shown anything really to suggest he could ever be more than a role/depth player in a role we are pretty covered for. But its 1 year. And we have 10 players coming off the list already - i guess it makes sense.

And it does. But, if you gave me the choice to keep all our elite future draft picks and spend the next few years seeing if Caleb Marchbank can fill the Grimes sized hole for 3-4 years while we rebuild vs whatever comes of a 1 year extension for 22year old James Trezise?

If i was told i had to make the team as competitive as possible while not being allowed to trade aby of our picks as rebuilding is priority - i think i would like

Retire
Naismith
Dusty (cough, bullshit, cough)
Grimes
Pickett

Trade
Bolton
Baker
Riolli

Free-Agency
Graham

Delist
Coulthard
Tresive
Colina
K-Mac

12 Changes all up. Could have up to 7-8 picks alone in the first 2 rounds in 2024 & possibly 5 going into 2025.

Hit low-mid lvl Free Agency & Recycled player market

Sign - Caleb Marchbank, Martin, Riley Bonner as free agents ( or similar ilk )

Free Agency
Make offers to players like Markov, Goldstein - but also any players who might benefit for taking on a high-reward / low duration contract. ie no more than 2 years. If you can get 2 of them, get them. We are just wanting mature players that can make the team better over the next 2 years.

After all this we We could still
Retain
Dow. Cumberland. Sonsie on 1 year contracts. Let Kosi + Ryan have another year to workout. In saying that though. if i could get definite better options via free agency, i would likely cut 1 without a 2nd thought.

These moves will not make us get to finals or even out of the bottom 4 most likely - but it will avoid us having too many blowout losses and the fear we could go winless in 2025. That is my biggest fear for us in 2025 - i have never seen a team go winless, but based on our 2 wins this year? 2025 is a massive chance for that.

The club needs to rebuild through the picks its getting from the losses of games and superstars - but it also needs an army of pain-sponges. Players that you plug n play into a team on a hiding to nothing. Players that need that extra 1-2 years of AFL contracts & have played 60-100+ games already. Take a few risk on high reward injury prone blokes like Martin + Marchbank who are 27+29 respectively. The next 2 years will be UGLY for whoever is wearing the yellow sash. Too much violent losing RARELY breeds champions - it tends to traumatise young players and demolish their confidence and development.

Let this elite group of 8-10 1st+2nd rounders over 2 years grow in the VFL winning flags & moonlighting in the AFL, while a team of professional grunts sponge the pain away. Over paying Jack Graham or similar to stay at the club to do that is pointless. Turn players into assets - then get ready made replacements via the system which allows you to pluck unlimitedly from it to get that.

This is what American Sports do when tanking for a rebuild. Accumulate assets by moving on players for picks, and replace with short term signings at higher than market yield contracts to lure good, reasonable players to come to the club to be their "pain sponge" to ensure they don't lose too many viewers, members.

Last edited:
Signings like this are easy to just accept as being good or ok. He has not been on the list long & shown he is not unplayable. I don't think he has shown anything really to suggest he could ever be more than a role/depth player in a role we are pretty covered for. But its 1 year. And we have 10 players coming off the list already - i guess it makes sense.

And it does. But, if you gave me the choice to keep all our elite future draft picks and spend the next few years seeing if Caleb Marchbank can fill the Grimes sized hole for 3-4 years while we rebuild vs whatever comes of a 1 year extension for 22year old James Trezise?

If i was told i had to make the team as competitive as possible while not being allowed to trade aby of our picks as rebuilding is priority - i think i would like

Retire
Naismith
Grimes
Pickett

Trade
Bolton
Baker
Riolli

Free-Agency
Graham

Delist
Coulthard
Tresive
Colina
K-Mac

12 Changes all up. Could have up to 7-8 picks alone in the first 2 rounds in 2024 & possibly 5 going into 2025.

Sign - Caleb Marchbank, Martin, Aiden Bonner as free agents ( or similar ilk )

Free Agency
Make offers to players like Markov, Goldstein - but also any players who might benefit for taking on a high-reward / low duration contract. ie no more than 2 years. If you can get 2 of them, get them. We are just wanting mature players that can make the team better over the next 2 years.

Retain
Dow. Cumberland. Sonsie on 1 year contracts. Let Kosi + Ryan have another year to workout. In saying that though. if i could get definite better options via free agency, i would likely cut 1 without a 2nd thought.

These moves will not make us get to finals or even out of the bottom 4 most likely - but it will avoid us having too many blowout losses and the fear we could go winless in 2025. That is my biggest fear for us in 2025 - i have never seen a team go winless, but based on our 2 wins this year? 2025 is a massive chance for that.

The club needs to rebuild through the picks its getting from the losses of games and superstars - but it also needs an army of pain-sponges. Players that you plug n play into a team on a hiding to nothing, but every game they play is 1 more game they thought they were going to play. Players that need that extra 1-2 years of AFL contracts & have done it for 8 years already. Take a few risk on high reward injury prone blokes like Martin + Marchbank who are 27+29 respectively. The next 2 years will be UGLY for whoever is wearing the yellow sash. Too much violent losing RARELY breeds champions - it tends to traumatise young players and demolish their confidence and development.

Let this elite group of 8-10 1st+2nd rounders over 2 years grow in the VFL winning flags & moonlighting in the AFL, while a team of professional grunts sponge the pain away. Over paying Jack Graham or similar to stay at the club to do that is pointless. Turn players into assets - then get ready made replacements via the system which allows you to pluck unlimitedly from it to get that.

This is what American Sports do when tanking for a rebuild. Accumulate assets and sign short term replacements at high yield contracts to lure good, reasonable players to come to the club to be their "pain sponge".
Delist Trezise but keep Cumberland
FMD

Delist Trezise but keep Cumberland
FMD

I honestly couldn't care about keeping Cumberland either. Would cut them both for R.Bonner & Martin/Marchbank without a 2nd thought

And has Trezise really done anything more than Cumberland to show he can be more than a very average AFL player? you do realise they are almost the same age?

I honestly couldn't care about keeping Cumberland either. Would cut them both for R.Bonner & Martin/Marchbank without a 2nd thought

And has Trezise really done anything more than Cumberland to show he can be more than a very average AFL player? you do realise they are almost the same age?
Are you for real !!

Martin Marchbank Bonner
The first 2 would spend all year in rehab getting paid and occupying list spots failing to develop future players
why the hell would we take this rubbish

you have lost the plot

Retire
Naismith
Grimes
Pickett

Trade
Bolton
Baker
Riolli

Free-Agency
Graham

Delist
Coulthard
Tresive
Colina
K-Mac

Sign - Caleb Marchbank, Martin, Riley Bonner as free agents ( or similar ilk )

Free Agency

Retain

The club needs to rebuild through the picks its getting from the losses of games and superstars - but it also needs an army of pain-sponges. Players that you plug n play into a team on a hiding to nothing. Players that need that extra 1-2 years of AFL contracts & have played 60-100+ games already. Take a few risk on high reward injury prone blokes like Martin + Marchbank who are 27+29 respectively. The next 2 years will be UGLY for whoever is wearing the yellow sash. Too much violent losing RARELY breeds champions - it tends to traumatise young players and demolish their confidence and development.

This is what American Sports do when tanking for a rebuild. Accumulate assets by moving on players for picks, and replace with short term signings at higher than market yield contracts to lure good, reasonable players to come to the club to be their "pain sponge" to ensure they don't lose too many viewers, members.

RJK - "Too much violent losing RARELY breeds champions - it tends to traumatise young players and demolish their confidence and development."

So I search back to when all our dynasty champions started....

2007 - 6 x losses 40 points or higher including a 157 point loss.

2008 - 6 losses by 41 or more.

2009 - 9 losses by 40 or more.

2010 - 9 losses by 50 or more, 12 losses by 35 or more.

2011 - 6 losses by 39 or more.

So we lost 36 matches(33% of all our matches) so every 3rd match by at least 39 points and probably an average of around 60 points.

Yet Cotchin, Riewoldt, Edwards, Rance, Martin, Grimes all endured this and were cornerstones of a 3 flag dynasty. And who else was in those dynasty teams? Prestia, Lynch, and to some extent Caddy, exposed to flogging after flogging early in their careers. Houli and Grigg weren't exactly playing for powerhouse clubs in their first 4 seasons. Astbury another. Probably half our dynasty teams were exposed to regular floggings early in their careers.

So whilst it may not feel good, and it may not evn be ideal, it probably isn't a reason to delist Trezise and recruit Marchbank and Oldstein.

Wrong track here RJK. As usual.

Are you for real !!

Martin Marchbank Bonner
The first 2 would spend all year in rehab getting paid and occupying list spots failing to develop future players
why the hell would we take this rubbish

you have lost the plot

Bonner is 27, has played 112 AFL games, 19 this year while avging over 20 touches a game.

Sure, Marchbank & Martin are risk, but they are way younger, with a much higher ceilings than Naismith & Tarrant ever offered & ya'll thought that was a smart move 🤣 & they play roles that require a pain sponge.

The players named are as much for example of strategy than a endorsement. The list needs competent grown-ups who work for cheap.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #36 James Trezise - Re-Signed for 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Back