AFL Player # 5: Elijah Tsatas

Remove this Banner Ad

Maybe that's how they stuffed it up so badly?
05_AM_b7a682c5-351b-4190-83f8-4b53ed77222e.png

Has also been widely reported all year in the media.
Been reported since his last contract when the Eagles chased him. It is not knock your socks off news for sure but it was more about ruling Victorian clubs out.

People are saying that it’s extremely hard to fix your kicking action and also that if he hasn’t fixed it by now he won’t. If it’s so hard to fix maybe he just needs longer?

Also posters have said that they haven’t personally been able to fix their own kicking action when they tried to. But I don’t think that these posters are elite athletes who were picked top five in the afl draft based on their talent and had an elite kicking coach working with them personally specifically on their kicking. Correct me if I’m wrong.

And he's still a teeny bopper. Wait till the guy is 23.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He had injury interruptions in his final under 18 year which extended into his first year at AFL level. He has not had enough time to build the running capacity required for AFL level competition let alone the body required to play inside. His kicking is an issue but I would prefer he develop his running, body and kicking at VFL level rather than AFL. He is currently not needed at AFL level and will comfortably replace Shiel when he moves on.

Can any Baker / Tsatas trade get us Harley Reid?
No chance. Forget read. He is a few years away and it will be 3 top 10 pick territory.

Another team would obviously need to be willing to offer it, but the idea of having two (est) top 10 picks this year (our own and one from a Tsatas trade) plus Kako would be pretty damn exciting.

Where do they play. Assuming Cox is a forward. Here’s the list of young talent/high pick players + AA players or captains (First round picks) on the list

Forward cox, Caddy Langford Perkins Kako Davey Gresham stringer

Wing Martin Durama Jones

Mids Merrett Parish Caldwell Durham Tsatas Hobbs Sheil

Rucks Bryan??? Wright ????

Def McKay Reid Hayes Ridley Redman McGrath

There’s an obvious need for a big mid/HB but beyond that the list is in good shape aside from ruck which cant be fixed in the draft short term.

Don’t see where that pick fits on the afl list. And trading a top 5 pick lighting up the VFL who’s just waiting for his body to develop for the chance to draft a similar player to spend the next 2 years in the VFL seems strange to me

Where do they play. Assuming Cox is a forward. Here’s the list of young talent/high pick players + AA players or captains (First round picks) on the list

Forward cox, Caddy Langford Perkins Kako Davey Gresham stringer

Wing Martin Durama Jones

Mids Merrett Parish Caldwell Durham Tsatas Hobbs Sheil

Rucks Bryan??? Wright ????

Def McKay Reid Hayes Ridley Redman McGrath

There’s an obvious need for a big mid/HB but beyond that the list is in good shape aside from ruck which cant be fixed in the draft short term.

Don’t see where that pick fits on the afl list. And trading a top 5 pick lighting up the VFL who’s just waiting for his body to develop for the chance to draft a similar player to spend the next 2 years in the VFL seems strange to me

They’ll have to play VFL for a few years.

A lot of the players you’ve listed won’t be playing at AFL level.

Kako will be in the VFL for a few years. Davey’s there too.

Cox I think stays wing with Martin back (not my preference, but they seem set on Cox on a wing).

Tsatas and Hobbs are VFL players. Shiel is probably traded.

Bryan and Reid both average less than 3x AFL games a year, and Hayes is a VFL player.

There’s still a sizable number of gaps we need to fill in the next few years.

They’ll have to play VFL for a few years.

A lot of the players you’ve listed won’t be playing at AFL level.

Kako will be in the VFL for a few years. Davey’s there too.

Cox I think stays wing with Martin back (not my preference, but they seem set on Cox on a wing).

Tsatas and Hobbs are VFL players. Shiel is probably traded.

Bryan and Reid both average less than 3x AFL games a year, and Hayes is a VFL player.

There’s still a sizable number of gaps we need to fill in the next few years.

Most of those guys are playing AFL now.
Brisbane had 3 first year players in the team that made the grand final last year. Good teams can usually fit in one or two productive rookies.

If the gaps are there good rookies should be able to fill most of them straight away with a few exceptions (defensive I nside mid, ruck, key forward no1 key def)

Most of those guys are playing AFL now.
Brisbane had 3 first year players in the team that made the grand final last year. Good teams can usually fit in one or two productive rookies.

If the gaps are there good rookies should be able to fill most of them straight away with a few exceptions (defensive I nside mid, ruck, key forward no1 key def)

Our coaches aren’t going to do that though - as they’ve shown.

Caddy’s currently in - but aside from him, we’re not actually playing any 2nd or 3rd year guys.

I think we’ll largely go in with the same 22 next year - probably adding a few guys in their mid-late 20’s (i.e. Gresham, McKay) to fill any possible gaps. I’m guessing we’ll sign a Tom Campbell or a 30+ year old ruck too (if Goldy doesn’t go around again)

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player # 5: Elijah Tsatas

Remove this Banner Ad

Back