Player Watch #5 Isaac Heeney

Remove this Banner Ad

Heeney 2.jpg

Isaac Heeney

Isaac Heeney is a crowd favourite and one of the best young players in the competition. The QBE Sydney Swans Academy graduate won the 2018 AFL Mark of the Year award, was selected in the AFL Players’ Association’s 22Under22 team in two of his eligible four years and played his 100th senior game in 2019. Heeney can be used in the midfield, forward line – where he booted four goals in star teammate Lance Franklin’s absence in Round 20 last year – or as a loose man in defence.

Isaac Heeney
DOB: 05 May 1996
DEBUT: 2015
DRAFT: #18, 2014 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Cardiff (NSW)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Liz, I'm afraid I disagree with the idea of this being a reasonable decision. To deem the action deliberate is the default position. The reason the term "usually" is used is to recognize that there are exceptions.

The rule is designed to deal with the situation where a player who is being tagged takes wild, head high swings at the tagging player behind him. This is a highly reckless action and should rightly be regarded as deliberate.

To say that the evidence before the Tribunal is a typical " deemed" deliberate act is, however,I would argue, extremely unreasonable based on the evidence before the Tribunal. That evidence being, primarily, the videos supplemented by verbal evidence.

The video evidence clearly shows that Heeney, who is about to have the ball kicked to him, is being held without the ball without the umpires blowing the whistle.

To argue that he was not in the play when he is clearly about to be passed the ball is an unreasonable conclusion by the Tribunal.He is being held with the expectation by Webster that the ball is about to arrive.

The video clearly shows that Heeney's back was turned (because he had eyes on the ball) and could not see that Webster was in the process of falling, a process that took only a split second.That was the only reason that contact to the head was made, the only reason.

The verbal evidence from Heeney was that he was trying to Swat Webster's arms away.

The comments of the Tribunal, where they basically say that Heeney was lying and that he could see that he was going to make contact with Webster's head, is absolutely outrageous, and would in legal circles, be regarded as giving evidence from the bench.There was no such evidence given. This is also unreasonable.

Despite the weak case put forward by our advocate, there are strong grounds for an appeal in my opinion.

PS: I have just seen that we are appealing. YESSS!!

Sent from my Pixel 8 Pro using Tapatalk
You do realise that the Appeals Board is made up of 2 Chairs & 3 Panel Members. All 3 Panel Members also sit on the Tribunal! Talk about a set of fresh eyes!! A joke.

You do realise that the Appeals Board is made up of 2 Chairs & 3 Panel Members. All 3 Panel Members also sit on the Tribunal! Talk about a set of fresh eyes!! A joke.
Well, now I do. Yes, a joke, but it's the vibe of the thing!

Seriously though, this is a public forum and they are subject to the court of public opinion as well. It's not quite Southern states America yet. Close maybe, but not quite yet

Sent from my Pixel 8 Pro using Tapatalk

AFL AND AFLW TRIBUNALS/APPEALS BOARD
Tribunal Chair: Jeffrey Gleeson KC and Renee Enbom KC.
Tribunal Panel Members: Jordan Bannister, Michelle Dench, Darren Gaspar, Wayne Henwood, Jason Johnson, Stephen Jurica, Richard Loveridge, Stewart Loewe, Shannon McFerran, David Neitz, Talia Radan, Scott Stevens, Shane Wakelin, Paul Williams
Appeal Board Chairs: Murray Kellam KC, John Middleton
Appeal Board Panel Members: Wayne Henwood, Stephen Jurica, Richard Loveridge
AFL Tribunal Counsel: Sam Bird, Sally Flynn KC, Lisa Hannon KC, Nick Pane KC, Andrew Woods

They won’t get the same faces though…surely.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was going to write something about if defensders didn't hold forwards etc, but realized ours are probably just as guilty lol

We have defenders?

Tribunal has cocked this up badly.

Webster looks to have stumbled and unexpectedly lowered his head, when Heeney moved (hardly call it swinging) his hand back.

Clearly accidentally and careless at best.
Correct, should have been a fine at most

GoulburnSwan, have you packed an overnight bag, 7 hours on the Hume to AFL HQ to sort this sham out
I could always give them “the look” that only a really pissed off 60 year old woman can. It’s been known to scare people!!! (I keep getting told to turn my camera off in teams meetings - I don’t suffer fools!!!🤣) I told a lawyer once to “cut the crap, I’m not paying you for crap”

Player Watch #5 Isaac Heeney

Remove this Banner Ad

Back