Autopsy 53 point win against GCS

Remove this Banner Ad

Just on Logan. I noted he was immediately behind Amartey in a pack mark contest. Logan was well placed but Joel was in front and took the mark. Logan-

• Had his arms up and hands ready
  • Was careful not to interfere with Joel’s mark
  • Took the physical heat from behind and protected Joel.
It was a good moment for him that I doubt even counts as a one per cent’er. From my obs he does a lot of smart stuff like this in most of our games, eg taps and using his body to shepherd for a teammate.

It was obviously not a great game for him but he got into it in the second half. Iirc he was on donuts close to half time. (so was the widely celebrated Hayward who most here credit as the match turner)

On replay it was noticeable how often Gold Coast's inexperience really hurt them. They might have plenty of promising youth but there were many times the likes of Uwland, Read, Rogers, Andrew, Berry, Humphrey, Graham, Clohesy etc. all looked out of their depth at times and we were able to punish them for it. As good teams do.

I think if they're gonna go to the next level as a team, Hardwick might have to try and find a better balance between talented youth and quality senior experience. Still a bit skewed towards the former for mine.

This is probably shown in their results - they've beaten up on other young sides like Richmond, Adelaide and Hawthorn, but been no match for older sides like Bulldogs, GWS or us (not that we're ancient ourselves.)

On replay it was noticeable how often Gold Coast's inexperience really hurt them. They might have plenty of promising youth but there were many times the likes of Uwland, Read, Rogers, Andrew, Berry, Humphrey, Graham, Clohesy etc. all looked out of their depth at times and we were able to punish them for it. As good teams do.

I think if they're gonna go to the next level as a team, Hardwick might have to try and find a better balance between talented youth and quality senior experience. Still a bit skewed towards the former for mine.

This is probably shown in their results - they've beaten up on other young sides like Richmond, Adelaide and Hawthorn, but been no match for older sides like Bulldogs, GWS or us (not that we're ancient ourselves.)
Yup, they'll get better once they all play together and get a bit more experience. We're a couple years ahead of them that we have a core group of young players that have played together for 3-5 years now.

Just on Logan. I noted he was immediately behind Amartey in a pack mark contest. Logan was well placed but Joel was in front and took the mark. Logan-

• Had his arms up and hands ready
  • Was careful not to interfere with Joel’s mark
  • Took the physical heat from behind and protected Joel.
It was a good moment for him that I doubt even counts as a one per cent’er. From my obs he does a lot of smart stuff like this in most of our games, eg taps and using his body to shepherd for a teammate.

It was obviously not a great game for him but he got into it in the second half. Iirc he was on donuts close to half time. (so was the widely celebrated Hayward who most here credit as the match turner)
I like seeing Logan up the ground, taking marks on the wing. He has a good awareness and a great field kick.

We seem to be missing that marking outlet with Hayward staying closer to goals and Sam staying closer to the rehabilitation centre.

I like seeing Logan up the ground, taking marks on the wing. He has a good awareness and a great field kick.

We seem to be missing that marking outlet with Hayward staying closer to goals and Sam staying closer to the rehabilitation centre.
Yep agree with this. He has built a good tank already and continues to build it - very happy for him to be roaming up the field more, and Maclean and Amartey being the stay at home forwards.

I agree we are missing that marking outlet a bit.

Come one come all - Game Previews up for grabs!!!

How do you hide on the Wing As a matter of interest ? Lloyd was fine today.

Agreed, thought this was Lloyd's best game as a wingman so far. Looked the most comfortable out there that I've seen in his adjustment to the position.

I loved that they didn't just stick him at HB again because Rampe is out of the side too and they stuck with him on a wing. That's where he's gonna be the rest of the year and we've got enough experience down back with Cunningham, McCartin, Blakey, and Florent.

Also reckon it had something to do with Campbell not being really at his height to this point this year. I thought that was another good choice to make him sub to make sure Wicks is in the side. Lloyd takes over Campbell's role nicely and I hope Campbell gets a bit of reserves time to go back and focus on his kicking skills and covering the ground to be an attacking weapon.

Great performance still that second quarter allows the team something to work on too was an extremely poor quarter.

Good kicking is good football it’s amazing when forwards do what they are paid to do- kick straight

As for the positives how good was Adams we saw how invaluable he’ll be when the going gets tough. Florent is continually underated on here after Logan he’s a must sign.

Other positive the emergence of Roberts has made Blakey more dangerous they can’t just sit on one of them

Yep agree with this. He has built a good tank already and continues to build it - very happy for him to be roaming up the field more, and Maclean and Amartey being the stay at home forwards.

I agree we are missing that marking outlet a bit.
McLean does a fair bit of this. He isn't quick but he has a massive tank. Even Amartey occasionally.

i think mclean has become more of a marking link, he's really improved in mobility and capacity to cover ground
i did always think mcdonald would become that kind of player, but i think mclean's backup ruck role has contributed to him getting more involved around the front half ...
i think the three talls are working generally pretty well in their roles, and we're revelling in not having a franklin-type key forward
getting six or so goals a game from the tall forwards, plus what we get from heeney, papley, hayward, wicks et all, seems to be an effective recipe at the moment

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Come one come all - Game Previews up for grabs!!!

Awkward Cricket GIF

And Papley!!

Scenes at the SCG after Paps' wonder goal!
Swans Goal of the Week

Could it be anything else?! Paps earns a standing ovation after a freakish mark in the third quarter
Swans Mark of the Week

How good was Amartey yesterday?!Four goals including this one right on the 3/4 time siren
Photo of the Round

I thought his workrate was as important as the goals

Can he get that TOG another 10% higher

Sorry struggling to understand that. Between the arcs we have no class compared to others ? Heeney, Warner, Gulden McInerney ? If they are going to pick anything to question it would be our forwards.
Those are all mids - he's talking about forwards and backs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy 53 point win against GCS

Remove this Banner Ad

Back