Autopsy 53 point win against GCS

Remove this Banner Ad

I might make a GIF of that kick Adams did to Heeney early in the first. Just kinda sizzled a kick off the side of his boot slightly to find Heeney alone in the pocket but disguised where he was kicking it really nicely.

Could've been an accident of course but didn't seem it to me. He looked the goods early.

I had to look at it again too. I first thought it was an accident but there was nobody else he could have been going for so it was very clever.

On a personal note I was playing for Moorooka reserves and in the last quarter absolutely drilled a pass to the leading full forward. I was promoted to the seniors on the strength of that kick. I was aiming for a guy alone in the pocket standing still.

I had to look at it again too. I first thought it was an accident but there was nobody else he could have been going for so it was very clever.

On a personal note I was playing for Moorooka reserves and in the last quarter absolutely drilled a pass to the leading full forward. I was promoted to the seniors on the strength of that kick. I was aiming for a guy alone in the pocket standing still.
Fraudyo Bloods!

This might go down like a lead balloon, but I think James Rowbottom is one of our smartest players. I think it can be easy to judge him off the few times a game he'll bomb it forward with little thought, but that discounts the other stuff he does with ball in hand that is usually pretty great.

You almost need slow-mo replays to appreciate his footy IQ at times.

His kick to Papley that made him land on his arse seemed like a lofty skyball, but it's only on the replay from a different angle you see there was literally half a dozen players between he and Papley he had to get it through, and he lowers his eyes but instead changes his mind in a split second and opts for a high ball to get it to Papley over the back.

At another point he gets the handball receive and is running through off half back and has the awareness to handball it over the top to put it out in front of Wicks to run onto rather than trying to get it straight to him when he's under pressure.

And later on it's him winning possession back from a tackle he lays himself that starts the chain leading to Papley's brilliant mark & goal against the boundary line.

I feel like things like this are the reasons he doesn't win as many possessions as he could. He's usually just so good at making the right choices as to who to give the ball to that there's no need for the ball to come back to him in a passage. It's an efficiency that's really well-suited to our game plan IMO.

generally, i think you're off the mark with your devotion to lloyd, but this is absolutely spot-on
rowbottom is one of the most underrated players in the league

the various criticisms about him "bombing it forward" or hacking it out of defence miss the point that he's always there when we need him to be, always scrapping, and so many of his possessions are under pressure
to me, he's an upgrade on, say, jack viney or even tom liberatore (and he's younger), and if he played with a victorian club he'd be built up into a cult hero in the vic media
and i also don't think he needs to be racking up possessions because he has the likes of heeney, gulden, warner, mcinerney et al to cash in on the possessions he does get

that was the heeney-grundy one-two i mentioned in another post ...
they'll probably have to share the norm smith
That exchange between Grundy and Heeney was so slick. Heeney as an on baller has been an absolute revelation. He is currently the best player in the competition, hands down. We should not play him a second less on ball when Parker and Mills come back.

In that possession chain Grundy is involved at the start, then runs hard to again be involved in the chain with Heeney. Really impressive work from the big bloke.

This might go down like a lead balloon, but I think James Rowbottom is one of our smartest players. I think it can be easy to judge him off the few times a game he'll bomb it forward with little thought, but that discounts the other stuff he does with ball in hand that is usually pretty great.

You almost need slow-mo replays to appreciate his footy IQ at times.

His kick to Papley that made him land on his arse seemed like a lofty skyball, but it's only on the replay from a different angle you see there was literally half a dozen players between he and Papley he had to get it through, and he lowers his eyes but instead changes his mind in a split second and opts for a high ball to get it to Papley over the back.

At another point he gets the handball receive and is running through off half back and has the awareness to handball it over the top to put it out in front of Wicks to run onto rather than trying to get it straight to him when he's under pressure.

And later on it's him winning possession back from a tackle he lays himself that starts the chain leading to Papley's brilliant mark & goal against the boundary line.

I feel like things like this are the reasons he doesn't win as many possessions as he could. He's usually just so good at making the right choices as to who to give the ball to that there's no need for the ball to come back to him in a passage. It's an efficiency that's really well-suited to our game plan IMO.

Rowbottom should of been captain with Parker/Mills out was absolutely settling the team and giving instructions when he was mic'ed uo in the Richmond game.

Those are all mids - he's talking about forwards and backs.
Okay. I have now had the chance to watch this and If I'm missing something please feel free to set me straight. Will also preface it by saying I don't get bent out of shape about the media or certain members of it being negative about the team or doubting our credentials. What I do get P1ssed about is when they do they want to get it right.

They said that they had doubts about our ability between the arcs back and forward in a big final. What does that even mean ?
Between the arcs is in the middle. The middle is through the midfield. The middle of the ground. King also prefaces their opinion of doubting us between the arcs by saying we love what they do in the middle. So which is it ? Backs forwards or mids that they doubt ? They talk off the top of their head and say the first thing that comes into it. Montagna has never rated us and King goes On and Off Us Like a Brides nightgown on a Honeymoon.
They have every right to give opinion as is their job and have doubt about our credentials as plenty here still do me included but they talk complete garbage. What they said was a complete pile of shite. Back and forward between the arcs ? LMAO.

Last edited:
Okay. I have now had the chance to watch this and If I'm missing something please feel free to set me straight. Will also preface it by saying I don't get bent out of shape about the media or certain members of it being negative about the team or doubting or credentials. What I do get P1ssed about is when they do they want to get it right.

They said that they had doubts about our ability between the arcs back and forward in a big final. What does that even mean ?
Between the arcs is in the middle. The middle is through the midfield. The middle of the ground. King also prefaces their opinion of doubting us between the arcs by saying we love what they do in the middle. So which is it ? Backs forwards or mids that they doubt ? They talk off the top of their head and say the first thing that comes into it. Montagna has never rated us and King goes On and Off Us Like a Brides nightgown on a Honeymoon.
They have every right to give opinion as is their job and have doubt about our credentials as plenty here still do me included but they talk complete garbage. What they said was a complete pile of shite. Back and forward between the arcs ? LMAO.
He’s saying he’s yet to be convinced our game style of fast ball movement through the middle of the ground doesn’t break down when the opposition applies high pressure …. as occcurs in finals.

I think it’s a reasonable reservation - until such time as we prove that what Richmond did to us was an aberration & isn’t readily replicated.

He’s saying he’s yet to be convinced our game style of fast ball movement through the middle of the ground doesn’t break down when the opposition applies high pressure …. as occcurs in finals.

I think it’s a reasonable reservation - until such time as we prove that what Richmond did to us was an aberration & isn’t readily replicated.
No he’s speaking shit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Okay. I have now had the chance to watch this and If I'm missing something please feel free to set me straight. Will also preface it by saying I don't get bent out of shape about the media or certain members of it being negative about the team or doubting or credentials. What I do get P1ssed about is when they do they want to get it right.

hahahahaha ... that so perfectly sums up the kind of vacuously fickle and contradictory nonsense so many of the "analysts" come up with from week to week, to fulfil their various media commitments and keep themselves in the public eye ...
and they think no one will catch them out or remember the previous day's or week's mouthful of bollocks
and yes, montagna is always very quick to dismiss us, and if he's not, he's sticking the boot in
did he have a bad record against us in his playing days? maybe it's just the hangover of having spent his career with such a dreadful club

hahahahaha ... that so perfectly sums up the kind of vacuously fickle and contradictory nonsense so many of the "analysts" come up with from week to week, to fulfil their various media commitments and keep themselves in the public eye ...
and they think no one will catch them out or remember the previous day's or week's mouthful of bollocks
and yes, montagna is always very quick to dismiss us, and if he's not, he's sticking the boot in
did he have a bad record against us in his playing days? maybe it's just the hangover of having spent his career with such a dreadful club
He probably repeatedly asked to be traded to us and we said "No".

Played in an era against Us when we were quite the physical Beasts at the contest. Speedy Squib.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back