Player Watch #6: George Wardlaw - two-time RS nominee ('23 &'24) - The Warlord/ The Boss - out vs RFC w/ delayed concussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Dammit, this changes things. He’s just that good.

crushed noo GIF

Sorry but that's malpractice. You can train with intensity. A bump on a kick that results in a concussion, outside of a freak accident, is just a poor decision.

Half the people in here were pissing their pants a couple of months ago over the apparent lack of intensity at North Melbourne training because Mick McGuane made a comment about seeing a sloppy training drill over Summer. Now all of a sudden we are going too hard and we need to put our players in cotton wool. Let's pick a lane, shall we?

Law of averages the only things keeping me sane right now. This much bad luck and loss is just unnatural and has to correct itself the other way at some point right?

… unless I’m on the Truman show… am I? You can tell me…

Hope this don’t stop him winning rising star

I can’t recall who said it but someone in AFL world said recently that a player would need to play 17 games to be in the running for it. He’s still in there but he’s a hammy niggle away from being ruled ineligible.

C’monnnn Georgie Boy! ✊

I can’t recall who said it but someone in AFL world said recently that a player would need to play 17 games to be in the running for it. He’s still in there but he’s a hammy niggle away from being ruled ineligible.

C’monnnn Georgie Boy! ✊
That feels like bad voodoo.

max von sydow priest GIF

Of all the training incidents that could happen, this is probably close to best case no?

Rolled ankle maybe the only thing that would be a better injury provided there is no other history of concussion.
I was actually thinking after last weeks game vs the GoDees that he would be one that I would be giving him a week off soon . Just because of he’s history & the way he plays. 2 weeks off is not ideal but will now set him up till seasons end .

Law of averages the only things keeping me sane right now. This much bad luck and loss is just unnatural and has to correct itself the other way at some point right?

… unless I’m on the Truman show… am I? You can tell me…
Yes your on the truman show, there is a hatch on the horizen out on the lake

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I saw this unfold at training. Firstly, George was limping significantly after what I assume was the result of somebody stomping on his foot. He was trying to walk it off and was rubbing the top of his foot to try and get it right. He should have left the ground for treatment. I wouldn't be surprised to hear that this is something serious.
George being a competitive beast didn't leave the ground but instead called for the ball. He received the ball and had a chance to handball it off but instead tried to burn off (on one leg) the ensuing pack of players. He was tackled at the moment he kicked the ball with I think two players falling on top of him. He got up slowly, dazed and favoring his shoulder. He made his way very slowly to the dug-out where he asked someone there to check out his foot and shoulder. Before that moment, none of the staff appeared to be aware that he had any issues. He couldn't raise his arm above his head. He made his way off the ground with one boot off. He took the time to sign autographs on his way. I left worried I'd be hearing more about this and as it turns out he has concussion symptoms. For me it sure has taken the shine off Saturdays game.

Hope this don’t stop him winning rising star
Not wrong. I have $1500 on him @ $4.10. I doubt the club will re-imburst me. But all good. I had a significant pay increase last month. It's gotten to the stage where I'm now using Premium Unleaded in my lawn mower.

why would you late bump in training even if slightly?
A few possible explanations I could come up with in answer to that:

-Because they are upping their intensity across the board
-just playing footy without an eye on the clock,
-training like they want to play,
-responding to the example that George shows on the field and on the track...

It's bitterly disappointing George misses out and I would be a lot more disappointed if we were on the cusp of the 8 and pushing for finals where a victory would be a must.

Half the people in here were pissing their pants a couple of months ago over the apparent lack of intensity at North Melbourne training because Mick McGuane made a comment about seeing a sloppy training drill over Summer. Now all of a sudden we are going too hard and we need to put our players in cotton wool. Let's pick a lane, shall we?
Players getting concussed (or not) in contested exercises says nothing about whether training standards are, or were, intense or high enough.

From rounds 1-11, it was the lack of pressure, and inability to win the ball back, the failure to run quarters and games out and the loss of contested ball that had a lot of supporters understandably questioning why the side looked physically so unprepared for the season. The club referred to how young the weekly sides were and list is. Watching games live though, we could see many older players struggling and actually the main culprits.

The players' fitness has improved significantly since round 1 - evidently from actually playing those 11 games and freshening up over the bye. The preseason itself, though, is a completely different matter. It didn't prepare the players for round 1 and it needs to be reviewed.

Screenshot_20240628-161839.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #6: George Wardlaw - two-time RS nominee ('23 &'24) - The Warlord/ The Boss - out vs RFC w/ delayed concussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back