AFL Player # 9: Dylan Shiel

Remove this Banner Ad

Can't believe this guy is only 10 months younger than Heppell. Physically is in so much better nick than Dyson and you'd hope can stay in his prime form for another 2-3 seasons at least.
He has the body composition of someone that takes his diet and training very seriously, probably does additional training for fun in his spare time, I imagine he won't be one of those players that blows out after retirement

Pure speculation here, he just looks like one of those guys.

He has the body composition of someone that takes his diet and training very seriously, probably does additional training for fun in his spare time, I imagine he won't be one of those players that blows out after retirement

Pure speculation here, he just looks like one of those guys.

Think I heard or read he does yoga retreats & the like in the offseason.

...and Parish is better offensively, but younger. I'm making a point. Did you miss it?

He kicks more goals you say - except he doesn't really - but that doesn't make him better offensively outright.

His form the last few weeks has shown how good he is on-ball. Parish off a HFF isn't great.

They're the same player; will be good on-ball, but struggle for impact elsewhere.

I see Shiel as more outside, who breaks from congestion, can break a line and doesnt accumulate but also gains more metres

Whereas Parish is one of the cleanest players ive seen, elite by hand, ground ball player, accumulates and doesnt shirk hardly any contest. Also has more ability overhead

Could be elite if he started hitting the scoreboard a little more. Has been playing far better in the last 5-6 games or so. Typically has a severe brainfade every game but far better than earlier this year

Nope. Parish will pull the trigger when the shot at goal is on, or take the responsibility when it's a set shot, and more often than not he'll kick the goal.

In any case, the Brisbane game showed Parish has turned a corner and Shiel's defensive efforts have definitely improved. I think they can coexist now.

Shiel was excellent again today, and that spin out of trouble at the centre bounce to sell candy 360 was insane, but he really needs to work on taking the shot fot goal on the run.

Parish has kicked 1.5 from 9 shots on goal, going at 11.1% accuracy this season to Shiel 3.2 from 8 going at 37.5%

So yeah nah.

He kicks more goals you say - except he doesn't really - but that doesn't make him better offensively outright.

His form the last few weeks has shown how good he is on-ball. Parish off a HFF isn't great.

They're the same player; will be good on-ball, but struggle for impact elsewhere.

Parish has kicked 1.5 from 9 shots on goal, going at 11.1% accuracy this season to Shiel 3.2 from 8 going at 37.5%

So yeah nah.

This chart shows that Parish has been more accurate kicking goals on average over his career. So as I said, more often than not, he'll kick the goal. Dylan's challenge is to convert, which as I've said, is what he needs to work on. As you can see, he is elite for behinds and below average for accuracy.

I never said Parish was better offensively outright at all, however, he could be considered better offensively when you see the similarity of numbers of the metrics shown here. Let's say those cancel each other out; you're then left with goal accuracy and shots at goal as the discriminator.

Shiel is elite for i50s, so that's something, but Parish ranks higher for contested possessions and ground ball gets, and guess who the beneficiary of that grunt work often is going forward. As I've also said, I think there is enough difference in their respective games for them to coexist, especially if the Parish we saw v. Sydney is anything to go by moving forward. His apparent willingness to stay I think signals his acceptance of that change in approach.
1658149661641.png

By the way, here's how they compare defensively on average over their careers as well. The bottom two metrics are the realm of the backline and I'm not sure what the go is with the N/A Defensive Half Pressure Acts, but you can see that these numbers show Parish is also defensively better with pressure acts around the ground especially, and also tackles i50. He's also younger.
1658148747329.png

Could be elite if he started hitting the scoreboard a little more. Has been playing far better in the last 5-6 games or so. Typically has a severe brainfade every game but far better than earlier this year
That's the point I'm trying to make. He gives himself so many opportunities but he doesn't capitalise on them. He is highly professional though, so it would be something I'd hope he focuses on improving.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This chart shows that Parish has been more accurate kicking goals on average over his career. So as I said, more often than not, he'll kick the goal. Dylan's challenge is to convert, which as I've said, is what he needs to work on. As you can see, he is elite for behinds and below average for accuracy.

I never said Parish was better offensively outright at all, however, he could be considered better offensively when you see the similarity of numbers of the metrics shown here. Let's say those cancel each other out; you're then left with goal accuracy and shots at goal as the discriminator.

Shiel is elite for i50s, so that's something, but Parish ranks higher for contested possessions and ground ball gets, and guess who the beneficiary of that grunt work often is going forward. As I've also said, I think there is enough difference in their respective games for them to coexist, especially if the Parish we saw v. Sydney is anything to go by moving forward. His apparent willingness to stay I think signals his acceptance of that change in approach.
View attachment 1450183

By the way, here's how they compare defensively on average over their careers as well. The bottom two metrics are the realm of the backline and I'm not sure what the go is with the N/A Defensive Half Pressure Acts, but you can see that these numbers show Parish is also defensively better with pressure acts around the ground especially, and also tackles i50. He's also younger.
View attachment 1450169
The defensive ratings do not take in any team defence stuff like two way running or defensive actions like zone set up or roll over defensive actions.

I think Dylan Shiel would be a better player if he wasn't also VelvetSledge and continually here reading Big Footy.

There. I said it.
If I was a professional footballer, I’d make a point of avoiding literally any footy content online, let alone be a mod

But that said I do love Dyl, what a bloke

Shiel had a couple nice chances last Gold Coast game about 50m out but didn't. Maybe it's something that will come later.

He's playing the best footy now then I can ever remember.

It's a funny thing, early in the season and we were crying out for him to be better.

Now he's better, people are upset that he's not got 2 goals to go with his 29 disposals, 5 tackles, 7 clearances, 9 i50s and 452m gained from the weekend.

High bar for the bloke.

It's a funny thing, early in the season and we were crying out for him to be better.

Now he's better, people are upset that he's not got 2 goals to go with his 29 disposals, 5 tackles, 7 clearances, 9 i50s and 452m gained from the weekend.

High bar for the bloke.
But those two first round picks 😛

Shiel is playing great, maybe it's from his refraining from blasting kicks at goal and being more focused has got him to this place now.

If there is one thing that Dons is lacking at the moment is mids that can go on to kick goals. Maybe it will come later, will see.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player # 9: Dylan Shiel

Remove this Banner Ad

Back