Autopsy A win for the true believers - swans down pies

Remove this Banner Ad

Hey Moderators, can we please have the undefeated Bonz write the remaining Previews for the season? All those assigned for the remaining Previews can instead do the Autopsys 🤭
Saviing Bonz up for Finals mate.

How can the team be so effing bad for three and a half quarters and then suddenly turn it on like that ?
Amazing from Heeney and we finally closed out a close one.
Still yet to be convinced we are back but at least we are still kicking this year.
Not sustainable but it gives a chance to regroup while we hold top spot a little longer.

In the 4th term Horse moved McDonald forward, subbed on Cleary, put Parker on ball, Lloyd to defence and moved Florent onto the wing.

We moved the magnets around a bit during the game but those changes were key to the win.

Great to win, but honestly, it's papering cracks. I know people were getting into Horse about saying pressure was needed, but for most of the game our players were sitting off the ball carrier and just giving them all the time in the world.

There was a point in the second where a Collingwood player got a loose ball with three Swans players around and as they gathered the ball, all three Swans players simultaneously slowed to a jog. Stuff like that concerns me.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great to win, but honestly, it's papering cracks. I know people were getting into Horse about saying pressure was needed, but for most of the game our players were sitting off the ball carrier and just giving them all the time in the world.

There was a point in the second where a Collingwood player got a lost ball with three Swans players around and as they gathered the ball, all three Swans players simultaneously slowed to a jog. Stuff like that concerns me.

It's fatigue physical or mental? I have no clue.

There was a point in the second where a Collingwood player got a lost ball with three Swans players around and as they gathered the ball, all three Swans players simultaneously slowed to a jog. Stuff like that concerns me.

Hopefully the way they had to tackle etc in the last shows them what works

How can the team be so effing bad for three and a half quarters and then suddenly turn it on like that ?
Amazing from Heeney and we finally closed out a close one.
Still yet to be convinced we are back but at least we are still kicking this year.

There just wasn’t confidence, belief and trust. I think the emblematic play was in the third - we had a 3-1 in the back pocket/flank, an acre of space in front, perfect opportunity to rebound. And the Pies forward ended up winning the contest because none of our players committed to what the needed to do: one player to win the ball, one to shepherd, one to run forward to receive the handball.

It wasn’t a coaching problem in terms of tactics, it wasn’t a player problem in terms of effort or skills. It was just the result of indecision caused by a lack of confidence in themselves and each other.

Somehow, they reignited that belief in the last 15 minutes.

I still can't believe we won that.

Just how our leaders ALL collectively lifted and started to win contests was fantastic.

Still alot of work to be done though, our decision making and footy smarts was awful for 3 quarters. However you just have to be proud with a comeback like that.

The players needed to treat that final quarter as a season on the line scenario. Rub of the green was handy for us no doubt, but great to see us finally nab one from the clouds.
We toughened up & finally applied pressure but that won’t happen every week.

He’s launched into:

• the non 50
  • the deliberates
  • home ground decisions

It’s so rare to hear a coach launch into umps the way McRae just did.
Should cost him $10k.
We "won" the frees 26-15. Umping looked reasonable, not too awful.
The comment about getting the 50 at the MCG was just plain stupid. His emotions were getting the better of him because they ain't making the 8 baby!

• At the end of the day there's some defending stuff in the first 3 qtrs I'm not stoked with and certainly raged about, but all we needed at the end of the day was a W and we found a way. The way we found it was probably the satisfying bit (in hindsight), the close win actually coming from behind is something we just haven't done in a long time. Found a win when we didn't play that well, been a while since that's happened too.
  • Wasn't happy with McDonald starting back, especially while the other 2 were non competitive up-forward at times.....but well done on realising a mistake and making the change late in an attacking move change for once. Know McDonald himself can be frustrating at times as that tall, but is still comfortably the best of the 3, stoked for him he got his moment again and nailed probably the most decisive goal of the game from 50. He's a forward, play him forward from now on please, playing back is a waste of time.
  • Heeney, Warner huge when it mattered in the last qtr, basically saved our season such was the consequences of a loss. Thought Rowbottom, Hayward and Parker were the main ones who kept that flicker alive in the first 3, when honestly we weren't great.
  • Shout out to Roberts who has been our best through these shitful weeks, despite some mistakes. Tonight he was sensational......Blakey & Campbell absolutely torched us with their errors, might be the beers talking and will be proven wrong on replay, but at first view it felt like Roberts saved our ass (and theirs) quite a few times.
  • **** anybody that whinges about that non 50 late, the non 50 saved them in their North game, now their coach has a ****ing sook when the shoes on the other foot. ****ing spare me, especially after that charity goal they were given in the first.
  • 1 more win needed from the last 2, such a relief it's not 2 from 2 needed. Hopefully we can just get it done next week and rest a whole bunch in the last game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy A win for the true believers - swans down pies

Remove this Banner Ad

Back