Coach Adam Simpson Megathread est. 2017 - Staying for 2024, Lyon’s Cryin’

Will Simpson be Head Coach at WCE in 2024

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Again, I reckon more than a few people are missing the point...

I get it... we didn't put a team of superstars on the park. Everyone understands that. It's not like we have a potential premiership winning team that is failing to click. There are deep, deep list problems.

But almost every single player on the park yesterday performed way below their ability levels. Bar maybe Sheed and Witherden... possibly Kelly. We were pantsed pretty much everywhere.

When players are consistently playing below their potential, don't the coaches start to wear the blame?
Under normal circumstances, absolutely.

Consider it from another angle. How well could you perform your job if you were given substandard resources while everyone around you has the best gear? If you know you can't produce your best work week after week, month after month, how would you feel about that?

Simmo is dejected and to be honest, I don't see him seeing out his contract. But right now, and arguably next year, it serves the club no purpose to move him on as it allows us to gloss over the actual issues - the consistent build up of injuries over the past 18 months. That's Nisbett level, not Simmo.

Once Simmo has 30-35 blokes to choose from, if after, say a month, we're not showing some sign of life (like the beginning of season...) then it is fair to question Simmo's place. Until then, look higher.

Last edited:
Every team has these players on their list. Most are never forced to play them.

Is Harry Barnett the only player on our list who hasn't either gotten a game or been injured?

Ever heard of Pat Contin? Harrison Wigg? Dean Gore? I'm just coming up with names of blokes who got drafted, some highly rated, who never played AFL. There are hundreds more. There are 5-6 non-AFL standard players on every single list minimum. Most no-one has heard of, its just that ours are actually playing.

Heaven help the competition if a 19th team does eventually come in.
then a 20th as has been mentioned.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Under normal circumstances, absolutely.

Consider it from another angle. How well could you perform your job if you were given substandard resources while everyone around you has the best gear? If you know you can't produce your best work week after week, month after month, how do you would feel about that?

Simmo is dejected and to be honest, I don't see him seeing out his contract. But right now, and arguably next year, it serves the club no purpose to move him on as it allows us to gloss over the actual issues - the consistent build up of injuries over the past 18 months. That's Nisbett level, not Simmo.

Once Simmo has 30-35 blokes to choose from, if after, say a month, we're not showing some sign of life (like the beginning of season...) then it is fair to question Simmo's place. Until then, look higher.
We were showing decent signs before the injuries came v freo in rd 3

We had just lost to NM (prob shoulda won) and beaten GWS and looked semi competitive.

I've got no doubt If we had minimal injuries we'd probably have won 2 or 3 and not lost any by 100 just on the back of experience and giving the kids a chance at minimum

then a 20th as has been mentioned.

Yeah ugly.

I mean if the AFL was smart they would look at us and realise the dearth of actual talent at the bottom of lists. This is unprecedented (this would be genuinely close to the worst team availability crisis in professional sport history on the planet. I cannot think of a an example outside of plane crashes where over 50% of a starting group are unavailable), and shows where most draftees are actually at.

Yet apparently its a good idea to add 70+ players who wouldn't have even been drafted last year to the pool.

We were showing decent signs before the injuries came v freo in rd 3

We had just lost to NM (prob shoulda won) and beaten GWS and looked semi competitive.

I've got no doubt If we had minimal injuries we'd probably have won 2 or 3 and not lost any by 100 just on the back of experience and giving the kids a chance at minimum

The freo game killed us.

As above we had 1 win, lost to a North team that were actually ok at the time - they also beat Freo a week later in Perth

And i'm confident we were on track to win the Derby if we didnt get decimated with injuries during the match.

We had injuries, but were doing ok, since then, every week we just lose more and more players.

Simo isnt doing great - and yesterday was pathetic all round - but we wouldnt be winning with another coach either, so sacking him serves no point at this stage. Unfortunately its another wasted year - for both Simpson and the club.

Yeah ugly.

I mean if the AFL was smart they would look at us and realise the dearth of actual talent at the bottom of lists. This is unprecedented (this would be genuinely close to the worst team availability crisis in professional sport history on the planet. I cannot think of a an example outside of plane crashes where over 50% of a starting group are unavailable), and shows where most draftees are actually at.

Yet apparently its a good idea to add 70+ players who wouldn't have even been drafted last year to the pool.

There's so many reasons the comp size should actually be reduced to 12-16 teams, even with a team in Tassie.
As well as lower quality players, 20 teams means there will be more teams like St Kilda that don't have any success over a 60+ year period.

But turning a suburban comp into the national comp means many people don't get this.

I’d like to see how every other team would do if they took 10 first choice players out of their team. Number one ruck and 2 best mids. Two best tall defenders, and 2 small defenders. Number one goal kicker and two best small forwards. Replace them with the bottom end of their list, and see how competitive they are. Sacking Simmo will do nothing and likely set us even further back. Injuries are what they are, and maybe a by product of us putting majority of our eggs in the senior players basket, but you can’t argue that taking all these key players out, has been the main reason we’ve been so rubbish.

b09ec4b772a0100f5c40b0abef2ebc27cf9c600c-16x9-x1y0w2446h1376.jpg

By the time Sumich is done with them we would have 40 on the injury list. 22 with injuries and the other 18 with mental health injuries from being verbally abused for hours on end
Summa played in 1989 when we kicked 1 goal against Essendon at Windy Hill and he was senior assistant coach when we were wooden spooners in 2010. He knows about bottoming out and poor lists. Now he has a column to write.

Summa played in 1989 when we kicked 1 goal against Essendon at Windy Hill and he was senior assistant coach when we were wooden spooners in 2010. He knows about bottoming out and poor lists. Now he has a column to write.

He won my respect a few years back when he was on radio and went absolutely off his rocker that no W.A club traded down to get Chad Warner before the Swans did.

Proves he should atleast be our head of recruiting

I’d like to see how every other team would do if they took 10 first choice players out of their team. Number one ruck and 2 best mids. Two best tall defenders, and 2 small defenders. Number one goal kicker and two best small forwards. Replace them with the bottom end of their list, and see how competitive they are. Sacking Simmo will do nothing and likely set us even further back. Injuries are what they are, and maybe a by product of us putting majority of our eggs in the senior players basket, but you can’t argue that taking all these key players out, has been the main reason we’ve been so rubbish.

How does this team go on the weekend? Red are players who have debuted but haven't exactly set the world on fire. Black bolded are total randoms I had to find to fill positions based on what they are described as. It wouldn't have lost by 100+, but no way I am backing that teams to head down to Tassie and win.

1684724063216.png

I don't understand why we just don't get the cheque book out and be prepared to go over the soft cap for a couple of years at least. Just pay the tax and be damned. Try and head hunt the best people in the areas where we know we have underperformed like drafting and S&C etc.

What is the point of having all the profitability and money in the bank we have and the most expensive memberships in the league if we are not prepared to spend some of it trying to get ourselves out of a situation like the one we are in? If we are not prepared to spend any of the money we make in profits now and on this then when would we ever spend it?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't understand why we just don't get the cheque book out and be prepared to go over the soft cap for a couple of years at least. Just pay the tax and be damned. Try and head hunt the best people in the areas where we know we have underperformed like drafting and S&C etc.

What is the point of having all the profitability and money in the bank we have and the most expensive memberships in the league if we are not prepared to spend some of it trying to get ourselves out of a situation like the one we are in? If we are not prepared to spend any of the money we make in profits now and on this then when would we ever spend it?

Because it costs

dr-evil-austin-powers.gif

Just checking but didn't Ratten have two years left to run on his contract before St Kilda gave him the axe?
Yes but for the last time, Saints licence is owned by the AFL, so they only needed to pay out 6 months.

WCE don't have that luxury, because they're under a different clause.

Its Simpsons list and all those god aweful spuds we saw in that 23 -26 age bracket were all "developed" on his watch.
I understand that. But the last two draft classes are solid and the game style has developed since then. Don't get me wrong, the signs were there as early as late 2019 but, on face value, they have clearly identified some issues and changed course. The thing that hasn't changed from last year is injuries.

The coach is an easy scapegoat. Sure, he might be a problem but he isn't the main problem. Sort out the main problem first.

No tweets, emails, press statements or press conferences announced yet by the club. No response at all. I wonder what is hapenning down there at HQ. They clearly have no idea what to say and no position that everybody is unified behind to put out.

I can't see both Simpson and Nisbett surviving this season.

If Nisbett/the executive and the board are rock solid on Simpson, than Nisbett needs to do the honourable thing or be pushed out.

Otherwise Simpson will be dogged until he leaves.

No tweets, emails, press statements or press conferences announced yet by the club. No response at all. I wonder what is hapenning down there at HQ. They clearly have no idea what to say and no position that everybody is unified behind to put out.

"I wonder what is happening"

"They clearly have no idea"

Choose one

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back