Adelaide AFL 2024 Midseason Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Toby Murray is clearly inevitable. Iā€™d say we pick him with our first. This selection would essentially be the final nail in Himmelbergā€™s AFC career coffin, freeing him up to sign with GWS as a FA.

The other pick could be any number of players but Iā€™d personally be hoping for Beecken if heā€™s there to add a bit of dash and skill - makes sense with Parnell to be delisted, Mileraā€™s career up in the air, and B Smith to retire at the end of 2025.

McLennan would be a pointless selection for mine. Looks a classic ā€œreally good SANFL, not enough weapons for AFLā€ type to me.

I certainly wouldnā€™t be opposed to taking a pure ruck like Pike, but do we really think weā€™re taking both a fwd/ruck AND a pure ruck in the same midseason draft? Iā€™d suggest not.

Personally Iā€™m glad we arenā€™t really linked to any true midfielders - chances of hitting a quality AFL mid in a midseason draft are extraordinarily low. Target talls and outside players with X factor.

Decent chance we pass on the 2nd pick and end up with just Murray.

Toby Murray is clearly inevitable. Iā€™d say we pick him with our first. This selection would essentially be the final nail in Himmelbergā€™s AFC career coffin, freeing him up to sign with GWS as a FA.

The other pick could be any number of players but Iā€™d personally be hoping for Beecken if heā€™s there to add a bit of dash and skill - makes sense with Parnell to be delisted, Mileraā€™s career up in the air, and B Smith to retire at the end of 2025.

McLennan would be a pointless selection for mine. Looks a classic ā€œreally good SANFL, not enough weapons for AFLā€ type to me.

I certainly wouldnā€™t be opposed to taking a pure ruck like Pike, but do we really think weā€™re taking both a fwd/ruck AND a pure ruck in the same midseason draft? Iā€™d suggest not.

Personally Iā€™m glad we arenā€™t really linked to any true midfielders - chances of hitting a quality AFL mid in a midseason draft are extraordinarily low. Target talls and outside players with X factor.

Decent chance we pass on the 2nd pick and end up with just Murray.
A Phil Harper special?

Sounds like it's a done deal if Jez is still there at this point?

He's always had excellent foot skills.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Four years on a crappy Gold Coast list and couldn't manage a single game
He was apparently desperate to go to Gold Coast at a time when no one wanted to go there (probably still true now) so that may have been why they reached for him at pick 23.

Letā€™s do the maths.

We have three rookies (Hamill, Parnell and Borlase) plus ten* on our primary list (Smith, Sholl, Berry, Cook, McHenry, Gollant, Himmelberg, Walker, Bond and Sloane) who are unsigned beyond 2024.

We are likely to need at least 5 spots at the end of the year (hopefully we will have two players traded in plus at least three players in the draft). We will need 5 spots plus the number of players picked up in the MSD.

Sloane is one, Himmelberg is probably number two. At this stage we are likely to keep Cook, Sholl, Berry and we need to have a place for Tex assuming he performs in the back half of the season. Despite the thoughts on Bigfooty, Smith, McHenry and Gollant are still at least 50/50 for an extension. The next most likely to be delisted is Bond and even that is not a certainty. The next in line is Parnell but Borlase and Hamill are also 50/50 and we will then have to move at least one player onto the rookie list.

If we take 3 players in the MSD then we will need to discard some of them at the end of this year (which is dumb) or have our hand forced with the 50/50 calls. I would also prefer more flexibility at the end of the season. Surely our third pick in the draft will be more attractive than our third pick in the MSD?

*I assume that Burgess is contracted for 2025

Wouldn't mind us having a look at 206cm athletic Ruckman Ajang Kol Mun a Kenyan born Sudanese refugee who only switched from soccer last year and lit up the Geelong Football and Netball League for cellar dwellers Anakie.This led to a host of VFL clubs chasing him for season 2024 eventually signing with Geelong VFL where he's showing great potential for someone with his limited background in aussie rules.. I doubt there's any player with more untapped potential available in this MSD.
This would be far too logical for our club to do.

At the very least worth taking as a speculative pick, when it seems we will only take two of a possible three list spots.

For a club in our position, the MSD should be all about players with untapped potential. Of course, our recruiting team and list management cannot see it.

Honest question to those who watch our SANFL team. Is Toby Murray any good?
Imho, YES!

Still a bit raw but has good skills for a big fella. Takes a strong mark, tidy kick and his ruck work is OK. With Himmelberg and Thilthorpe unavailable until after the bye, he would be a real chance to debut.

Remove this Banner Ad

Adelaide AFL 2024 Midseason Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Back