Autopsy Adelaide wins the prelim [WARNING: ZERO TOLERANCE TO TROLLING]

Remove this Banner Ad

We were too tall
Cameron, Betts and Atkins run killed us
Yep, Zach Guthrie should have played. No argument from me. It was a terrible decision not to play him ahead of Stanley. I said this before the game had even started.

Well that was disappointing.

But as disappointing as it was, we've had a great year with what is frankly a pretty average list. We finished 2nd. With a great list like we had in 07-11, yes I would agree that bowing out in a prelim would be below par, but we've batted well above par with our list and injuries this season. We've also played a lot of debutants. There are a lot of positives. We were supposed to go out in straight sets remember?

The knee-jerk suggestions of delisting players because 'they are shit in finals', like Blicavs, Henderson and Menegola is pretty weird, and the posters suggesting it have short memories - all three were bloody fabulous last week (which was also a knockout final). Everyone bar Motlop, Bews and Duncan had a mare tonight. Jelwood isn't fit, hasn't been since he came back. His endeavour is there, but impact isn't.

My concerns are with those players who have been poor for the whole season, and some even longer. Sometimes I think you can forgive a player who has been poor during the H&A but really turns it on during finals - people are loving Motlop now, but 6 weeks ago? People never wanted him in the hoops again. But when they are poor consistently in both H&A games and finals? I think it's time to call time. For me, and I'm sure they're great blokes, but they're not adding anything, they are Stanley, GHS, Menzel and as much as I feel bad for saying it, Hawkins. Hawkins SHOULD have been one of the best key forwards in the comp, but he's never used his size to his advantage and hasn't ever learnt how to out-body his opponent (legally). That is a basic requirement of a good forward, and defenders know he is crap at it and how to get under his skin mentally. We'll keep him as we don't have a replacement knocking on the door, but we desperately need a KPF that can impact games consistently.

I'm really not sold on Kolo either, he's been pretty poor for a while now, and for the length of time he's been in the system I would have expected him to get much better. You can throw stats around at how often he's beaten 1 on 1, and it might look pretty on paper, but he does dumb things all over the ground and costs the team goals every match.

We are in dire need of some young talent during this trade period. Forget Stringer, he's lazy and selfish and goes missing for large chunks of games. Motlop during the H&A but in a slightly bigger frame. Ablett's too old and risky. Devon Smith is just an average depth player who can't get a game for GWS at the moment. I would prefer to go to the draft rather than bring in lazy or average retreads.

I look forward to having (hopefully) some fit small forwards next season. I also look forward to the continued development of Parsons, who had a great first year but understandably ran out of steam towards the end, Stewart, Z Guthrie and Parfitt. I look forward to seeing the club cull some of its deadwood players. I look forward to next season, and although disappointed with tonight (and I live in Adelaide to make it worse) I'm actually pretty proud of the club this year.

Great post. I agree with pretty much all of that.

Biggest problem is with the game plan tbh, not the players. The instruction to not man up until they get within a kick of pumping it into the 50 is bizarre. I think we have a good playing group...we have shown that, but this is a tactical failure. The difference when we don't have the ball between this week and last is insane.
I couldn't understand why they weren't picking them up, all of them just trailed off until their man got the ball. Chip by chip they just inched closer and no changes were made. I understand that they tried to play the zone but once you are getting chopped up surely you make some changes.

Yeah, not sure why our mods are tolerating this shit to be honest.

I just came to say good game and better luck next yr, and that I have admired how much your club has achieved this year given the lack of depth and talent. Ultimately that got shown up tonight, but a prelim from the list you guys have I honestly think is a pretty big accomplishment.

You cannot possibly blame Scott. At least 10 players that can play 1 good game out of 4. In fact anyone blaming Scott tonight are simply resorting to the easiest and most common person to blame through complete shutdown of reasonable thought in their mind. To those people all I have to say is. Composure, you need it and 70% of our players do.
Lets just accept 3-8 in finals and move on to next year. Wow !

The most disappointing thing for me was we fueled their good start to the game with our un pressured turnovers and set them on their way to a match winning lead.

111pts they scored off turnovers. I've never seen anything like that before!! Insane

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I just came to say good game and better luck next yr, and that I have admired how much your club has achieved this year given the lack of depth and talent. Ultimately that got shown up tonight, but a prelim from the list you guys have I honestly think is a pretty big accomplishment.

Depth, yeah, I can agree with that - lots of injuries.

Talent...well...that comes across a bit...weirdly.

All emotion aside, we aren't a bad side. Poor tonight but geez the crows were on and didn't really give us a sniff. We were done by quarter time. Our season was screwed when we lost to the tigers. I don't blame Scott. He isn't out there turning it over, or fumbling or missing gettable goals. A few tweaks and some handy additions and we'll be back up there again. I have faith in th club and whilst I'm disappointed with the way the season finished, I'll purchase my membership again and front up next year to support the club. We won't all agree on what is going to take us from good to great again but we should all acknowledge that it's been a pretty bloody good 10 years and we are privileged to still be able to be competing in another preliminary final. Chin up everyone. The sun will come up tomorrow and trade period will soon be here. Trust in the club to make the right decisions. They know more than us and when it's all said and done, they have done a pretty bloody good job for the past decade. Keep the faith and go cats.

Fact is the fish rots from the head. The guarding grass gameplan. You know, the one that got us a spanking last prelim and this prelim? Thats the head coach sport. Its on him. The players we recruit to fit that game plan? Yup, the coach seeks them out and gets the club to bring them in.

End of the day, the players make the bad mistakes, but the coach sets them up for failure. Amazing how badly we have dropped off since Thompson left...

Hindsight is always a great thing, but omitting Zuthrie I believe was an issue tonight.

Bews did his usual job of blanketing Betts and has proven himself to be our #1 small defender.

The problem we had tonight was with Charlie Cameron - because we really only had the one small defender we were playing a mixture is players on him: Tuohy, Stewart at one stage, possible Mackie amongst a whole lot of no one near him.

While Adelaide does have a tall forward line, we got killed by speed on the outside and allowing Cameron to have his way.

I know Zuthrie isn't as strong as someone like Bews & looks like he should have been running around with the kids during half time, but he has done the job he has been asked to do - can't wait to see him get more chances next year

I'm not doubting what I saw. Running past the ball with his arms in the air when the game was needed to be won.

Must go as captain. Too many failures in finals now.
Who do you suggest to replace him? This is a drastic and absurd comment. Played underdone and with his foot problem. He should never relinquish the captaincy until he retires. Plays with more heart than anyone.

Well that was disappointing.

But as disappointing as it was, we've had a great year with what is frankly a pretty average list. We finished 2nd. With a great list like we had in 07-11, yes I would agree that bowing out in a prelim would be below par, but we've batted well above par with our list and injuries this season. We've also played a lot of debutants. There are a lot of positives. We were supposed to go out in straight sets remember?

The knee-jerk suggestions of delisting players because 'they are shit in finals', like Blicavs, Henderson and Menegola is pretty weird, and the posters suggesting it have short memories - all three were bloody fabulous last week (which was also a knockout final). Everyone bar Motlop, Bews and Duncan had a mare tonight. Jelwood isn't fit, hasn't been since he came back. His endeavour is there, but impact isn't.

My concerns are with those players who have been poor for the whole season, and some even longer. Sometimes I think you can forgive a player who has been poor during the H&A but really turns it on during finals - people are loving Motlop now, but 6 weeks ago? People never wanted him in the hoops again. But when they are poor consistently in both H&A games and finals? I think it's time to call time. For me, and I'm sure they're great blokes, but they're not adding anything, they are Stanley, GHS, Menzel and as much as I feel bad for saying it, Hawkins. Hawkins SHOULD have been one of the best key forwards in the comp, but he's never used his size to his advantage and hasn't ever learnt how to out-body his opponent (legally). That is a basic requirement of a good forward, and defenders know he is crap at it and how to get under his skin mentally. We'll keep him as we don't have a replacement knocking on the door, but we desperately need a KPF that can impact games consistently.

I'm really not sold on Kolo either, he's been pretty poor for a while now, and for the length of time he's been in the system I would have expected him to get much better. You can throw stats around at how often he's beaten 1 on 1, and it might look pretty on paper, but he does dumb things all over the ground and costs the team goals every match.

We are in dire need of some young talent during this trade period. Forget Stringer, he's lazy and selfish and goes missing for large chunks of games. Motlop during the H&A but in a slightly bigger frame. Ablett's too old and risky. Devon Smith is just an average depth player who can't get a game for GWS at the moment. I would prefer to go to the draft rather than bring in lazy or average retreads.

I look forward to having (hopefully) some fit small forwards next season. I also look forward to the continued development of Parsons, who had a great first year but understandably ran out of steam towards the end, Stewart, Z Guthrie and Parfitt. I look forward to seeing the club cull some of its deadwood players. I look forward to next season, and although disappointed with tonight (and I live in Adelaide to make it worse) I'm actually pretty proud of the club this year.
Joel had a mare? We were watching different games obviously. Oh and Bews was the lowest ranked player on the ground.

Who do you suggest to replace him? This is a drastic and absurd comment. Played underdone and with his foot problem. He should never relinquish the captaincy until he retires. Plays with more heart than anyone.
I'm not here for excuses. The players shouldn't be either, but I can't change what I seen.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Adelaide wins the prelim [WARNING: ZERO TOLERANCE TO TROLLING]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back