Adelaide's decline

Remove this Banner Ad

Port were able to turn it around after 2012 fairly quickly, or have you wiped that era from your memory? I think we are in for some extended time at the bottom, but I’m not sure why you’re taking joy in it, two strong SA sides is good for the comp.

Yes, Crows fans were famously nothing but supportive and encouraging of Port during the Primus years.

There is no denying that date will be the one we all remember that started our decline. But the real issues were much deeper than losing a game, however big it was. It was the decisions, events and people within the club made after that date that did tje damage.

Even more telling though is the fact that the club's culture had obviously been off for the better part of a decade given how many players seemed happy to leave. Papering over the cracks with decent finishes allowed those at the club to deny a problem and instead blame the individual player for leaving- now we know that the place just isn't/wasn't an appealing option for players.

As you could read there aren't too many Crows fans, if any at all, that are trying to deny our problems. This could be a really frank, interesting and mature discussion across all supporters but you seem insistent to try and bring it down to trashy magazine levels.

I urge you to do better and be better. Contribute a meaningful post not hit n run rubbish designed to incite.

I agree with you.

Let's see how I go with this post,

Adelaide were consulted by their own mindset philosopher's... The belief was to make yourself bigger to intimidate, gain the mental advantage. Like how a human in the jungle is not trained to run away from a lion, it will get caught, its taught to stop, make itself bigger and badder and that's its only chance at survival.

The power stance, purchasing a plane seat for the premiership, all of that... was orchestrated to be bigger and badder in this world of competitive sport. To be the Mike Tyson or Michael Jordan.

Whilst Adelaide was winning, this mindset was embraced and further enhanced, if you can get a premiership out of it, well, ...**** you got a premiership! It ain't cheating, it could have been embraced by every other club if it worked, if Adelaide had won the grand final, for certain, some clubs would have attempted to emulate it to some degree.

They lost, but the real loss was the carnage of the grand final, this mentality of being invincible was destroyed, whilst richmond took the opposite approach, embrace your strengths, acknowledge your weaknesses and show vulnerability to the group. It make even be the reason, to this day, Matt Crouch tries to be Scott Pendlebury on gameday.

Adelaide went down a dark path post grand final, and no, richmond didn't break them, richmond gave them a mighty reality check, but the horrid training camp and all the other misdemeanours since, were the doing of their leadership group and club leaders.

As Vince McMahon would say,

Bret screwed Bret,

Adelaide screwed Adelaide.

Sadly, there's still much to be done, Matt Crouch, Tom Lynch, Rory Sloane, Taylor Walker need to go end of this year.

Mentally theyre damaged goods and a restart elsewhere could be a mini rebirth.

Yes but let's say there are 30 current and ex players in the AFL who are deemed good or better from the Crows if we had held onto some of those then others wouldn't have even made our team. Again, being able to make a team of exCrows is just highlighting that we have been able to cover our losses. It doesn't even speak to the fact these losses span a decade. Losing Davis and Gunston at one end and Keath, CEY and Greenwood at the other. Again i reckon it just shows Adelaide has become a bit of a footy factory. Even Robbo and Whateley who are notoriously antiCrow concede that salary cap issues mean Adelaide couldn't keep many of their losses in the past few years and that's where most of our losses from this team come from - the past 5 years where we have been carrying a contender's cap space or lackthereof.

If we had kept our Davis', Gunston s, Dangerfields how the hell would we have fit everyoneunder the cap anyway?
The issue maybe that they have retained Riccuito

:.........., Phil Davis, ...........

HB: Alex Keath, Jake Lever, Cam Ellis-Yolmen

C: Ed Curnow, Patrick Dangerfield, Ricky Henderson

HF: Josh Jenkins, Mitch McGovern, Jack Gunston

F: Eddie Betts, , Shaun McKernan, Charlie Cameron

R: Sam Jacobs, Hugh Greenwood, Jarryd Lyons

These are the players still playing in the AFL that have left Adelaide.

Does this core of players, albeit missing a couple of positions, look better than the current Crows team? I think it most certainly does.
You need to slot Bryce Gibbs in somewhere or is he still there?

The SA GREAT state pride argument is the biggest load of twaddle. The "it's good for SA Football" argument is a complete load of sh*t. We hate them and they hate us. The only thing we should be united on (along with the WA clubs) is fighting the Vic Bias in that permeates every level of the competition. Other than that, the Crows can eat a satchel full of dicks for all I care.

I don't hate you guys so much these days - you've become a lot more likeable as a Club over the last 5-6 years.

Still don't like you, but don't hate anymore, and don't mind seeing you go alright (probably don't want you to win a flag though, just because you'd be insufferable pricks).

PS - Crows are shit.

I think we can all agree that the discussion around 'Adelaide's decline' is but a subplot in the ongoing chronicles of Red Bull 's fixation on Justin Reid.

🤣🤣🤣
Young Reid has certainly played his part in the downfall of the corporation.
But it’s those that appointed him and Burton and the shonks that ran the camp that the customers should be really furious with.
I believe they’ve recently added another of their kind to the board and low and behold, he is as thick as thieves with old mate Triggy !!
Business as usual ... 🤣🤣🤣

The thing is, the fans (Crows) knew what this was inevitably going to happen for quite some time/if not years, boggles the mind that the peanuts running the club (The Chapman Chadonnay Kool Aid Club) didn't..

How out of touch is their administration? Sad thing is, due to being privately owned/SANFL tied, the members are unable to boot out their board like Carlton did with John Ellott and his cronies.

🤣🤣🤣
Young Reid has certainly played his part in the downfall of the corporation.
But it’s those that appointed him and Burton and the shonks that ran the camp that the customers should be really furious with.
I believe they’ve recently added another of their kind to the board and low and behold, he is as thick as thieves with old mate Triggy !!
Business as usual ... 🤣🤣🤣
I must admit that I too have a morbid fascination with Young Reid. The shit he talked in '16 trade week was hilarious. To cough up a king's ransom 12 months later was even better. Bloke is a clown. But then again, he works at a circus so it's no wonder he has job security.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

:.........., Phil Davis, ...........

HB: Alex Keath, Jake Lever, Cam Ellis-Yolmen

C: Ed Curnow, Patrick Dangerfield, Ricky Henderson

HF: Josh Jenkins, Mitch McGovern, Jack Gunston

F: Eddie Betts, , Shaun McKernan, Charlie Cameron

R: Sam Jacobs, Hugh Greenwood, Jarryd Lyons

These are the players still playing in the AFL that have left Adelaide.

Does this core of players, albeit missing a couple of positions, look better than the current Crows team? I think it most certainly does.

Boy oh boy, goodness gracious me! - so exactly how many years was Humphrey B Bear the Crows list manager..?

I think Adelaide in the past few years have moved on from coaches very quickly. Brenton Sanderson IMO never should of been sacked. In 2011, they finished 14th. And then in 2012 in his first year he got them to 2nd and a kicked away from the grand final. 2013 was another fairly good year for the crows and had matthew broadbent not hit the post in that carlton game; they would have booked their place in another finals series. 2014 again they just missed the finals and finished 10th.

Now we all the tragedy surrounding Phil Walsh,but Don Pyke also did a lot in his first few seasons.In 2016, they were a one point Hawthorn win over Collingwood away from finishing in the top four.And then in 2017, they were probably the best side in the competition for the entire year and were unlucky to capitalise in the grand final. 2018 and 2019; weren't actually bad years for the Crows I just feel that injury and off field issues got to them and they had to part ways with him.

Every club goes through a rebuild. They've probably lost 3/4 quarters if not more of their grand final side from 2017. I think they should look at getting some experienced South Australia player to support their youngsters. Shane Edwards, Jack Gunston and even Shannon Hurn come to mind.

I think Adelaide in the past few years have moved on from coaches very quickly. Brenton Sanderson IMO never should of been sacked. In 2011, they finished 14th. And then in 2012 in his first year he got them to 2nd and a kicked away from the grand final. 2013 was another fairly good year for the crows and had matthew broadbent not hit the post in that carlton game; they would have booked their place in another finals series. 2014 again they just missed the finals and finished 10th.

Now we all the tragedy surrounding Phil Walsh,but Don Pyke also did a lot in his first few seasons.In 2016, they were a one point Hawthorn win over Collingwood away from finishing in the top four.And then in 2017, they were probably the best side in the competition for the entire year and were unlucky to capitalise in the grand final. 2018 and 2019; weren't actually bad years for the Crows I just feel that injury and off field issues got to them and they had to part ways with him.

Every club goes through a rebuild. They've probably lost 3/4 quarters if not more of their grand final side from 2017. I think they should look at getting some experienced South Australia player to support their youngsters. Shane Edwards, Jack Gunston and even Shannon Hurn come to mind.

Sanderson got sacked for (allegedly) doing the dirty on one of his playes. He had to go, if that waa the case.

Don Pyke's position became untenable after the fallout from that disastrous camp, which still lingers till this day

Sanderson got sacked for (allegedly) doing the dirty on one of his playes. He had to go, if that waa the case.

Don Pyke's position became untenable after the fallout from that disastrous camp, which still lingers till this day
Sanderson got sacked because Dean Bailey took the fall and was suspended by the AFL for Melbourne's tanking (except they didn't tank ..? wtf). When he couldn't return after his suspension due to his cancer diagnosis Sanderson wanted him replaced with another senior assistant with an excellent tactical knowledge.

The club thought about it decided why not just employ a new senior coach with those skills.

Really ... you sound understandably bitter.
Walsh has 300 gamer written all over him.
It was not impossible at all, Port showed what could be done with intent and imagination.
Young Reid showed none of that.
With 3 x 1st rounders, he could have found a way to land pick 3 and with it a prospective generational homegrown talent.

Suns were never splitting 2 and 3. Where you can argue we missed was the year before and using our picks to trade for Suns future first as they wouldn't have known they'd have 2 together at that stage. Instead, we used them on Gibbs. Once we got to that draft, we only had a chance to get Rozee. Gallagher from Saints wanted 2 picks under 10 and another first. Happy enough with Jones, given the price to get their pick. And knowing us, we'd have taken King anyway and then McAsey and we'd still prefer an injured and out of firm Tex so they'd both be playing scratch matches and leaving at first opportunity.

He's gonna be like that all the time the way he plays.

Him and Tex would be in our top 5 paid players. Neither worth more than base wage so far this year. McAsey doubled Tex's average effective disposals in his first ever full game up forward. And it's not like Tex brings anything else to the table. But you watch Tex get selected this week and McAsey will end up being shunted back to defence or out of the side altogether. Or we end up playing all of Tex, Frampton, Fogarty and McAsey. And when, surprise, surprise, thst doesn't work, it'll be McAsey dumped. Not the putridly performing Tex.

Does a team of established players look better on paper than a team at the start of their rebuild playing a bunch of young players? Why yes it does. Mindblowing.

Realistically though, right now, how many of them would give a left nut to get to your side?

Davis, Dangerfield, Cameron, maybe Gunston. Players like Betts and Jacobs are well past their bes

You'd welcome Lever, Keath if you could get them for a decent price but the rest are role players at best.

Would I have liked to keep a bunch of them? Sure. Was that at all possible for the club? No.

If we had kept some but let Walker or Sloane or the Crouch bros go at some point they would appear in this team. There is no way for us to have kept all that talent plus the few decent players we have now all within a salary cap. No club could have.

So really all your sleuthing does is speak to how well we have selected and developed over the past 12 years.

So....thanks I guess?

Our salary cap shouldn't be bursting. It's basically the list that Walsh inherited and had played finals 1 of the previous 5 years. 2 seasons of finishing 6th and then first but with a win:loss record ordinarily good enough to just squeeze into the top 4. That's not a list worthy of being fully paid. Especially when we regularly lose players that can command good coin and, apart from Gibbs, they're replaced with draftees or low value players. So not only don't we have the talent to fill the TPP, we somehow have to shed 1 or 2 every year due to cap space as well. If we managed our contracts properly, we could have kept most of those players.

To me the crows should let both Crouch boys & Laird leave, to me it will be a blessing in disguise. Reality is Crows suck yet they have a lot of players with strong accolades playing. But I watch them play and very few of them actually seem to be good leaders and trying to lead the way for their young players and that is not a good sign.

Sloane is certainly cooked but he seems to lead the young kids very well whichis a good sign for the club, Even more so is Daniel Talia and Brodie Smith who are still playing well but are working hard to not just play there role but help the development of Doedee, McAsey and Hamill, this is very important for the club.

if I were the crows I would get rid of all senior players who are playing for themselves. Some will get you currency some won’t. Tom Lynch, Seedsman, Gibbs, Brad Crouch, Matt Crouch, Mackay, Laird and Hartigan. All should be thanked by the club and moved on.

let Walker, Sloane, Talia, Brodie Smith lead the club forward, work hard on developing McHenry, Hamill, McAsey, Doedee, Frampton, Jones etc and just keep building through the youth along with Kelly, O BRIEN, Stengel, Forgarty etc.

these are all tough calls but ones I think should be made.

If Brad Crouch gets us band 1 he can go. But if it's band 2, I'd keep him and force Sloane out. Sloane is a role player these days and probably our highest paid. He's also on record saying the camp was the best thing ever while it was destroying the group around him. He's more aligned with admin and therefore a culture problem. Matt Crouch and Kelly should get traded and Tex needs to retire. Otherwise, your list management decisions are spot on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Adelaide's decline

Remove this Banner Ad

Back