AFC Asian Cup 2023 (Qatar Champions)

Who do you think will win AFC Asian Cup 2023?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Feel for the players but this is what Arnold deserved as his second half subs were stuffed.

Totally this. We played a good game and showed the quality in this team which is clear and deserved to go thru.

Just too negative with subs, trying to soak up too much pressure. Not like Arnie wasnt aware with the Saudi game. Yes it was a Miller brainfade but that was due to all the pressure from the negative subs.

Feel for the players but this is what Arnold deserved as his second half subs were stuffed.
I mean Boyle, Goodwin, Atkinson- the three best attacking players off in quick succession. That’s overreacting.
Take Behich, Irvine. Change shape.

Instead it’s O’Neill and Burgess. Negative

Totally this. We played a good game and showed the quality in this team which is clear and deserved to go thru.

Just too negative with subs, trying to soak up too much pressure. Not like Arnie wasnt aware with the Saudi game. Yes it was a Miller brainfade but that was due to all the pressure from the negative subs.
Yeah. Just wish Arnold backed his players more. Korea are lazy defensively. Even v Indonesia, India just allowed teams to play.

I was going to say it was an impressive capitulation but we were poor all night

The crowd were super pro Korea as well

1012 passes to 367

74% to 26%

Just not good enough
If it was losing with youth, then okay that’s fine.
There’s Tulio, Kuol, Nisbett, Yeng, Irankunda. Instead Duke at 33, Fornaroli at 36.

I mean Boyle, Goodwin, Atkinson- the three best attacking players off in quick succession. That’s overreacting.
Take Behich, Irvine. Change shape.

Instead it’s O’Neill and Burgess. Negative
Yep agreed.

I don't think you could argue that for this game the actual game plan was poor. But the substitutions made actively harmed us. And subs are such a critical component of seeing out matches.

The subs he made were more suited to the 87th and 92nd minute, not as soon as he could in the second half.

I was going to say it was an impressive capitulation but we were poor all night

The crowd were super pro Korea as well

1012 passes to 367

74% to 26%

Just not good enough
It was mostly sterile, nothing possession though. If we did that against a minnow we'd have been crucifying our team.

They were pushing and getting blocked, Australia were breaking away and getting shots off.

However it was all one way traffic after the penalty.

Yep agreed.

I don't think you could argue that for this game the actual game plan was poor. But the substitutions made actively harmed us. And subs are such a critical component of seeing out matches.

The subs he made were more suited to the 87th and 92nd minute, not as soon as he could in the second half.
And actually opening up with counter attacking. Then Arnold folded.
I love Australia. I want Australia to succeed at football. But this tournament- just pessimistic and horrible football. This isn’t the way forward.

Were there many actually saying that other than in the media? The general consensus from fans as far as I recall was it changes nothing and Arnold is not the guy to take us forward.
Everyone in charge*
The Aussie public will never get a manager sacked cause not enough people care. As long as we tick qualification boxes the people in charge were happy with Arnold.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ok I’ve watched it in full not knowing the result. So frustrating and a massive chance blown - we should be one foot in the final but going home instead.

- The RB issue that has plagued us for years has now cost us a tournament. Atkinson was actually good but ran out of legs. Miller, well it’s all been said and Jones isn’t up to it.

- Clearly the other issue is CF. Duke missing that sitter summed up a dismal tournament for him, and I thought Bruno was absolutely woeful when he came on. He isn’t up to the level.

- The first hour was actually great. Yeah Korea dominated possession but they didn’t create anything and we actually played it out well.

- Game flipped on 60 minutes with the subs and when we started sitting much deeper, just inviting the inevitable goal. Given the Saudis did exactly the same thing that was inexcusable.

- Ryan was outstanding.

- ET was just a mess, no plan B and somehow they looked way fresher despite 120 minutes and 2 less days to prepare.

Overall a hugely disappointing tournament, the 3rd time we have failed under Arnie. He has to go, we need new ideas.

Fingers crossed we qualify for the Olympics because the next wave need tournament game time, otherwise this was an even bigger waste.

Ok I’ve watched it in full not knowing the result. So frustrating and a massive chance blown - we should be one foot in the final but going home instead.

- The RB issue that has plagued us for years has now cost us a tournament. Atkinson was actually good but ran out of legs. Miller, well it’s all been said and Jones isn’t up to it.

- Clearly the other issue is CF. Duke missing that sitter summed up a dismal tournament for him, and I thought Bruno was absolutely woeful when he came on. He isn’t up to the level.

- The first hour was actually great. Yeah Korea dominated possession but they didn’t create anything and we actually played it out well.

- Game flipped on 60 minutes with the subs and when we started sitting much deeper, just inviting the inevitable goal. Given the Saudis did exactly the same thing that was inexcusable.

- Ryan was outstanding.

- ET was just a mess, no plan B and somehow they looked way fresher despite 120 minutes and 2 less days to prepare.

Overall a hugely disappointing tournament, the 3rd time we have failed under Arnie. He has to go, we need new ideas.

Fingers crossed we qualify for the Olympics because the next wave need tournament game time, otherwise this was an even bigger waste.
Saudi did exactly that. Park the bus. Arnold said he wouldn’t. Yet he did on 70 minutes.
Parking the bus at 1-0 hardly works. Leaving way too much to chance.

What’s weird is Arnold playing a flat 4, when in parking the bus it’s 3 CBS across the back. Miller was the wrong call

Fornaroli had no choice. Absolutely no support. Worst match for a striker to come into.

quite ironic the guy who scored the winner captains the team an ex-Socceroo coach coached and then one that got Australia a Asian cup. With Arnold Australia won't win any major tournaments

With the talent we have at our disposal we won't win any major tournaments regardless of who the manager is.

Arnold to me seems like a flog, but making the last 16 of the World Cup with the talent we had at our disposal was arguably the greatest achievement in Australian football history.

Even this game, talent wise we should have been smashed. You can question some of Arnold's subs, but the style we play with gets the most out of limited quality.

With the talent we have at our disposal we won't win any major tournaments regardless of who the manager is.

Arnold to me seems like a flog, but making the last 16 of the World Cup with the talent we had at our disposal was arguably the greatest achievement in Australian football history.

Even this game, talent wise we should have been smashed. You can question some of Arnold's subs, but the style we play with gets the most out of limited quality.
Hard to argue with this.
When your naturalizing a 36 year old Uruguayan battler because your teams sucks so bad you ain't winning anything

- Ryan was outstanding.

Ryan should’ve saved Son’s shot imo.
It was a saveable height and a metre within the post.

Hard to argue with this.
When your naturalizing a 36 year old Uruguayan battler because your teams sucks so bad you ain't winning anything
Especially when can just easily blood Yengi or add Taggart.

As fans, we get it. Sure the talent isn’t there and development limited, however having Arnold 100% believe the same and not backing the squad in full faith is even more demoralising. Just play the lack of quality card and get out of jail is pessimistic.

Not playing a high line, rather just have a working class sit back defence is resorting to the Middle East tactic. Add in the continuously long balls to Duke.

Saudi did exactly that. Park the bus. Arnold said he wouldn’t. Yet he did on 70 minutes.
Parking the bus at 1-0 hardly works. Leaving way too much to chance.

What’s weird is Arnold playing a flat 4, when in parking the bus it’s 3 CBS across the back. Miller was the wrong call

Fornaroli had no choice. Absolutely no support. Worst match for a striker to come into.
Agree tough for Bruno when he came on, but he looked old and slow TBH, not the spark you want from a sub. He didn’t even get in decent spots to win the 2nd ball when we started hoofing long to Soutter.

I think we all know the quality isn’t there, but South Korea apart from one player were hardly much better. We should be making the final 4 at this tournament minimum.

Agree tough for Bruno when he came on, but he looked old and slow TBH, not the spark you want from a sub. He didn’t even get in decent spots to win the 2nd ball when we started hoofing long to Soutter.

I think we all know the quality isn’t there, but South Korea apart from one player were hardly much better. We should be making the final 4 at this tournament minimum.
Especially when Son did nothing for 90 minutes.
Hwang Hee Chang didn’t have much influence either.
Pity. Took no advantage of it. Now both just have to do 50% against Jordan and into the final they go.

Especially when can just easily blood Yengi or add Taggart.

As fans, we get it. Sure the talent isn’t there and development limited, however having Arnold 100% believe the same and not backing the squad in full faith is even more demoralising. Just play the lack of quality card and get out of jail is pessimistic.

Not playing a high line, rather just have a working class sit back defence is resorting to the Middle East tactic. Add in the continuously long balls to Duke.
Completely agree, we could have gone out in the quarters playing attacking football, atleast it would have been enjoyable.
If irukanda is a ¼ of the player they say he is he should have been given minutes in the squad

Especially when Son did nothing for 90 minutes.
Hwang Hee Chang didn’t have much influence either.
Pity. Took no advantage of it. Now both just have to do 50% against Jordan and into the final they go.
Klinsmann playing son at 10 for 60 minutes was hilarious. Way to kill his influence. His coaching was just as shit as ours but he has class to bail him out we don't

Just saw the highlights, we should have been out of sight. Should have won the game comfortably 2 or 3 nil. Shit defending especially late on. What's this Kaiserslautern 2.0? Another piss weak Lucas Neil challenge? Grosso dived but Neil shouldn't have gone to ground. This defender got no ball clear pen every day of the week horrendous defending. Son's goal was gettable too. Keeper should be keeping that out.

I wish I never saw the highlights.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFC Asian Cup 2023 (Qatar Champions)

Back