Autopsy AFL 2021 Round 1 - Tigers v Blues Thurs March 18th 7:25pm AEDT (MCG) Tigercast link in OP!

Who will win and by how much?

• Tigers by a goal or less

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Blues by a goal or less

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • Tigers by 7 - 20

Votes: 5 17.9%
  • Blues by 7 - 20

Votes: 2 7.1%
  • Tigers by a lot

Votes: 18 64.3%
  • Blues by a lot

Votes: 2 7.1%
  • Draw

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

They mean the Richmond HOF yeah, coz no way Edwards makes the AFL HOF.
If I knew absolutely nothing about footy I might agree with you.
Back to whinging about the umpiring for you.

He told him 2m three times and never moved, should have been 50.
The very next post. Lol.

Blues haven't fixed their main issue. Still concede 4-6 goals in a row. Also decisively lost the territory battle (Rich 75 - Carl 41 inside 50s).
If Richmond weren't so sloppy entering the 50, that could have been a thrashing. You don't allow a team 75 entries inside 50, which is Richmond's highest ever inside 50 count. That said, back 6 were good. Absorbed most of the pressure.

Seen it in both preseason games, but Blues really need to work on their team defence and forward pressure to get repeat entries. Tigers took it out of defence way too easily. Also, I do question their fitness levels as well. They dominate the early parts of the quarter, but can't keep that energy late in the quarter. Might get better as the season goes on.

Saad though is an excellent acquisition and Walsh has taken his game to another level.

Can't argue too much with that, but the 4 goals in a row didn't feel like the usual avalanche and then obviously we pegged it back pretty.

I think ball retention will improve with Williams and Martin back in the squad, but we also came up against a very good team in top form. Our defence standing up otherwise is very encouraging.

I feel you are (understandably) blinded by love for your team, that you can't see that the AFL and the Umpiring fraternity are destroying the game we all love.

The very process of which began much before either the Tigers or even Hawthorn rose to dominance.

Look past the raw numbers of the free kick differential, and consider the isolated incidents and their overall affect on the momentum a team has on the play.

A lot of factors contribute to this:

- Did the free kick result in a goal?
- Did the free kick save a goal?
- Did the free kick go against the grain of play?
- And most importantly, but weighted more heavily if the former conditions are met: was the decision correct as the rules of the game dictate & has that ruling been applied consistently for both teams?

You're less likely to do this when your team is winning and successful, because these things are less impactful when a team can naturally overcome the scoreboard discrepancy through sheer skill alone. However I'm sure you'll remember the darker days of yesteryear for your football club, and perhaps if you had the more astute and cunning mind you have now you might have applied this kind of mental framework to those results.

You could certainly see why such a framework would be useful for a team on the rise, but struggling to net wins, as you need a way to measure how much a result's baring lay on your player's decisions and skills VS dubious umpiring decisions.

Obviously everyone watches their team's games with a bias (and we wouldn't want it any other way), but when you find gross inconsistencies across the board between teams in a single game, and more importantly a plethora of neutral supporters from across the country can clearly see them too, you have take notice.

I'm not saying that the umpires went in with the intent to favor Richmond, but their actions in my view (and clearly those of others on this forum) demonstrate an unconscious bias towards the Tigers during critical moments in the game. And even if you view that as a reach there's undeniably an issue with how the rules are applied consistently across the entire competition. (Otherwise we would not be having this conversation).

Your argument is that the numbers don't lie, but our argument is that they can and do, when judgments of accuracy in regards to interpretation and consistency are applied.
You might not agree with this assessment.

That's okay, but I wouldn't advise labeling those freely discussing it on the general board as embarrassing... there's simply no need over something trivial like a difference of opinion.

All the best.. and here's to a great season for all teams of the AFL.

Great post.

Naturally you're going to be chided by the crayon munchers, but there were some absolute howlers that need some explanation. The most notable was Jones pinged deliberate for clumsily rushing a ball over the line v Nankervis giving up on the play and taking a cautious step over the goal line to concede a point.

Wasn't the difference, but mindnumbing none-the-less.

Imagine waking up and the first thing you do is go through a footy thread (way after the fact) on the internet to gloat about beating Carlton lol

The salt in these threads, especially from 'neutrals' is just so incredibly delicious.

I feel you are (understandably) blinded by love for your team, that you can't see that the AFL and the Umpiring fraternity are destroying the game we all love.

The very process of which began much before either the Tigers or even Hawthorn rose to dominance.

Look past the raw numbers of the free kick differential, and consider the isolated incidents and their overall affect on the momentum a team has on the play.

- And most importantly, but weighted more heavily if the former conditions are met: was the decision correct as the rules of the game dictate & has that ruling been applied consistently for both teams?

You're less likely to do this when your team is winning and successful, because these things are less impactful when a team can naturally overcome the scoreboard discrepancy through sheer skill alone. However I'm sure you'll remember the darker days of yesteryear for your football club, and perhaps if you had the more astute and cunning mind you have now you might have applied this kind of mental framework to those results.

You could certainly see why such a framework would be useful for a team on the rise, but struggling to net wins, as you need a way to measure how much a result's baring lay on your player's decisions and skills VS dubious umpiring decisions.

Obviously everyone watches their team's games with a bias (and we wouldn't want it any other way), but when you find gross inconsistencies across the board between teams in a single game, and more importantly a plethora of neutral supporters from across the country can clearly see them too, you have take notice.

I'm not saying that the umpires went in with the intent to favor Richmond, but their actions in my view (and clearly those of others on this forum) demonstrate an unconscious bias towards the Tigers during critical moments in the game. And even if you view that as a reach there's undeniably an issue with how the rules are applied consistently across the entire competition. (Otherwise we would not be having this conversation).

Your argument is that the numbers don't lie, but our argument is that they can and do, when judgments of accuracy in regards to interpretation and consistency are applied.
You might not agree with this assessment.

That's okay, but I wouldn't advise labeling those freely discussing it on the general board as embarrassing... there's simply no need over something trivial like a difference of opinion.

All the best.. and here's to a great season for all teams of the AFL.
“All the best.. and here's to a great season for all teams of the AFL.”
3FB72C4A-7106-4781-A7AF-5548C3B24173.jpeg

As super whingey as many West Coast supporters are bzparkes is turning it into a art form.
This guy has seriously taken incessant whining to another level.
Just like you lot turning avoiding a thread until the next day after a win.

Funny how many of you come out of the woodwork.

So you're complaining that people were busy watching the game as it happened rather than than commenting in a gameday thread, and then commented after the game?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You know what? I won’t look past the raw free kick numbers of last night. I think that it reflected the game well.
Carlton got away with push in the backs and HTB too, so I don’t think there was an unconscious bias towards Richmond last night. We had a bit of a ride in the 2nd but most of the free kicks (including the 50-metre penalties) were actually there except for the deliberate against Jones and consequently the one not paid against Nankervis in my opinion.

To be honest, how many free kicks did you want Carlton to get? More than 25 free kicks and Richmond less than 15 free kicks? Carlton had plenty of shots at goal from free kicks last night. In Round 1 Carlton got something like 8 goals out of 12 from free kicks so Richmond is probably one of the last teams you can say get treated well by the umpires unconsciously. Our free kick differential is one of the worst almost every year in our Premiership era so if anything our opposition tend to get paid the free kick when we do something against the rule more than others if we don’t want to say that the umpires are unconsciously against us.

Well that is B'(&@it. Show me the shots a goal we got from free kicks, I can name yours, like the BS rushed (Goal) and the missed one at the other end (that's a 12 point turn around).

Well that is B'(&@it. Show me the shots a goal we got from free kicks, I can name yours, like the BS rushed (Goal) and the missed one at the other end (that's a 12 point turn around).

It's not like they were carbon copies of each other, so without arguing the details, it's quite possible they were both correct decisions.

But even going by your premise....
If you think either of them was wrong, then presumably you consider the other one correct, so at worst it's a 6pt turnaround.

As for a free...look at your first goal.

Carlton had a free, then McKay jumped into Vlastuin and collected him in the head. Now, apart from how the MRP will presumably be looking into it, the free should have been reversed. It wasn't and ended up with a goal to Carlton due to this 'umpiring error'.

Last edited:

There's a great study waiting to be done on the unconscious bias of sporting umpires / referees, especially in a fast-moving game like AFL. I always wonder if umpires in any such sport get slightly star-struck and let good teams / players get away with stuff because they are expecting them to win (e.g. Martin/Dangerfield/Bont - take your pick - drops a ball when tackled, play on. Newbie does the same and gets pinged).

There's a great study waiting to be done on the unconscious bias of sporting umpires / referees, especially in a fast-moving game like AFL. I always wonder if umpires in any such sport get slightly star-struck and let good teams / players get away with stuff because they are expecting them to win (e.g. Martin/Dangerfield/Bont - take your pick - drops a ball when tackled, play on. Newbie does the same and gets pinged).

Problem is finding enough cases that are like for like enough to rule out all other factors (e.g. umpire position/ability to see the same/equivalent angle).

The study should include game day threads, umpire bashing is the norm.

Richmond just go up a gear when they need to

Great signs for Carlton

Cripps is an umpires pet... they will never ping him for anything.
He did get away with holding the ball a few times. But Dusty got away with a few 📿 🙌
Damn I thought I had a good emoji idea :(

I was listening to a Carlton supporter talking on the train about all the 'what ifs',

Thankfully I had my mask on, my smile was from ear to ear.

Never think 'what ifs' anymore. I never entered the conversation and just reflected happily on a magical time to be a supporter. Won't last forever

A9E417F7-8CFA-48D7-A9F8-F30916A598D9.gif

Some of us actually attend games mate and don't get home until 1am. And unlike yourself, we have employment as well. Have a wonderful weekend. Oh, and

1-1.gif

Where was the zing? The chap quoted my post along with a bunch of others, clearly got up and read through the whole thread multi quoting as he went... kinda sad IMHO but you lot do you

B33BD6C6-695B-4F1F-B50B-84F90C5C6B95.jpeg

You mustn’t have seen the second half of you think that you didn’t get shots at goal from a free kick. Remember the one that Marlion Pickett gave away to I think McKay or Casboult (I think to McKay). That was a shot on goal, showing that the umpires still pinged us for doing things wrong.

It’s easy to only remember the shot at goal that Richmond got. The rushed one ended up inconsequential because it was a behind anyway as well so y’all weren’t worse off because of it

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy AFL 2021 Round 1 - Tigers v Blues Thurs March 18th 7:25pm AEDT (MCG) Tigercast link in OP!

Back