Autopsy AFL 2022 Second Qualifying Final - Demons v Swans Fri Sept 2nd 7:50pm EST (MCG)

Who will win and by how much?

• Dees by a goal or less

Votes: 10 6.5%
  • Swans by a goal or less

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Dees by 7 - 20

Votes: 56 36.1%
  • Swans by 7 - 20

Votes: 50 32.3%
  • Dees by a lot

Votes: 22 14.2%
  • Swans by a lot

Votes: 9 5.8%
  • Draw

Votes: 2 1.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Melbourne’s form looks ominous. I think if Sydney win, it will be a gutsy, scrappy win by a small margin. I could see Melbourne getting to a 3-4 goal lead and holding us out with too much class and poise. So I agree with the bookies that Sydney are certainly the underdogs.

Either way, it’s a great opportunity for a young swans side. Have a career defining win or learn what finals are all about. I’m sure they’ll be relishing the opportunity.

Good luck to both teams, I think it is going to be a cracking game!
Melbourne just beat Brisbane, they’re average and our bunnies. Don’t read into that too much.

This will tell us if Dees are on the improve, what a nice test of their forward setup against the Swans strong back third.

I suspect Swans are in better form. And that Dees will have to step it up to beat them.

This will tell us if Dees are on the improve, what a nice test of their forward setup against the Swans strong back third.

I suspect Swans are in better form. And that Dees will have to step it up to beat them.

Melbourne pumped Brisbane at the Gabba whilst Sydney struggled to get over st kilda. They’re a bogey team for us but I don’t buy the form argument.

Melbourne pumped Brisbane at the Gabba whilst Sydney struggled to get over st kilda. They’re a bogey team for us but I don’t buy the form argument.
Neither do I buy it either but Brisbane were nothing short of pathetically insipid while Saints played their arses off and dished it up physically to the Swans. Good hard hit out is sometimes what you need heading into a big final. Having said that Melbourne should be favourites going in playing at the MCG the same as Swans May have been at the SCG. Does Melbourne’s best get it done ? Likely. If off marginally against the Swans best pressure could be an upset.

Melbourne just beat Brisbane, they’re average and our bunnies. Don’t read into that too much.
I hope you are right, but there was something about last week that looked like Melbourne had switched finals mode on.

To your point, I think we have one of those triangle things going on. We line up pretty well against Melbourne, Melbourne lines up well against Brisbane, and Brisbane well against us - relatively speaking of course. I think Melbourne is the best of the three, followed by swans, followed by Brisbane.

I hope you are right, but there was something about last week that looked like Melbourne had switched finals mode on.

To your point, I think we have one of those triangle things going on. We line up pretty well against Melbourne, Melbourne lines up well against Brisbane, and Brisbane well against us - relatively speaking of course. I think Melbourne is the best of the three, followed by swans, followed by Brisbane.
Haha, yep. Triangle things. I am always thinking of those.

I think Mays inclusion could well be the difference on this occasion. The Swans have been notoriously unreliable on the MCG.
I think this is an odd comment... we've only played there 5 times in the last 2 years and won 3/5.

With the current team, I reckon you can only count the last two years... the two before were covid years which (imo) aren't comparable to any others.

One that always rang true was;

Sydney beat Geelong
WB beat Sydney
Geelong beat WB

Always!

I gave you more then the stock standard afl website preview.

People crack it when I go into data analysis on bigfooty. Everyone knows how the demons play, rely on a really strong backline. Stacked midfield to dominate the contest. Hopefully ben brown can hold onto a mark on the lead or his hair flop around enough to get a free kick. The human flame to take a mark or two in open space or out the back. Kozzi to do something special to get a goal.

Swans are a hard read for me, as I barely watch their games. Can’t stand their auskick size circle which for some reason gets zero heat compared to geelongs wingless oval. Swans weakness on paper is the midfield. That is improving but I doubt it will be enough to overcome the demons, which is why they will rely on their forwards to get it done.
You know the SCG is bigger than Marvel and the Adelaide Oval right?

Not in length according to afl website.
Yep shortest in length but big wings. So in area it's bigger than a few grounds including marvel, Adelaide, Kardinia.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

teams with patchy form that threaten to "flick the switch" never ever do
dees are patchy cos thier structures arent so good atm
Sydney are up to thier eyeballs for the flag
so many superstar players that arent considered so just because they are young - think petracca and oliver one year ago
swans will beat dees
dees will struggle to score

Clearly Swans are the form team. All over the ground they are very effective.
Dees could over ride their hurdy gurdy form if they step up again. But their forward line...
This game, I think, will be the most revealing of all WK 1 games.
Are Swans fair dinkum?
Can the Dees low centre of gravity tough mids (have you ever seen anything like it!) compensate for the inconsistent and fiddled forward line?

Clearly Swans are the form team. All over the ground they are very effective.
Dees could over ride their hurdy gurdy form if they step up again. But their forward line...
This game, I think, will be the most revealing of all WK 1 games.
Are Swans fair dinkum?
Can the Dees low centre of gravity tough mids (have you ever seen anything like it!) compensate for the inconsistent and fiddled forward line?
Id honestly still take 00's WCE midfield of Cox, Judd, Cousins and Kerr over Gawn, Petracca, Oliver, Viney but would happily take either of them. Funny how Dees like that WCE team are great mid and back but suspect up forward

Id honestly still take 00's WCE midfield of Cox, Judd, Cousins and Kerr over Gawn, Petracca, Oliver, Viney but would happily take either of them. Funny how Dees like that WCE team are great mid and back but suspect up forward
Good comparison. Both sets of mids do it a bit differently, though. Dees are brutal. WCE were silk and unrelenting.

I think Swans back 6 will be key, reduce effectiveness of oppo entries, for there will be plenty I reckon, then Swans need to kick straight.

Probably pretty standard observation for any footy game :)

so many superstar players that arent considered so just because they are young - think petracca and oliver one year ago
swans will beat dees
They did last year in finals, and did against Brisbane. No reason they can't again this year.

swans will beat dees

They can flick the switch as it's between the ears for Melbourne. They have the most evenly balanced list in the comp.
To win premierships, you need a large core of players aged in that 25-27 years bracket. They have nine of them!
Only one bloke has played 200 games or more (Melksham) so their entire team still has years left to clock up the miles.

Sydney are going to be at their peak next year.

It is Melbourne's flag to lose from here.

Dees IF they turn up and play 100 minutes at full tilt, anything less they will loose.

Sydney are dydnamic and never give in, Demons must be at their best to win.

They can flick the switch as it's between the ears for Melbourne. They have the most evenly balanced list in the comp.
To win premierships, you need a large core of players aged in that 25-27 years bracket. They have nine of them!
Only one bloke has played 200 games or more (Melksham) so their entire team still has years left to clock up the miles.

Sydney are going to be at their peak next year.

It is Melbourne's flag to lose from here.
yes it is between the ears. and thats why you cant just flick the switch. if you cant do it every week, then you cant do it reliably.

Dees are only hoping they know how to reach their best... but its clear they arent sure if they know how to find it or not . trying to convince themselves even:

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy AFL 2022 Second Qualifying Final - Demons v Swans Fri Sept 2nd 7:50pm EST (MCG)

Back