Autopsy AFL 2023 First Qualifying Final - Pies v Demons Thurs Sept 7th 7:20pm EST (MCG)

Who will win and by how much?

• Pies by a goal or less

Votes: 11 4.3%
  • Demons by a goal or less

Votes: 18 7.1%
  • Pies by 7 - 20

Votes: 86 34.0%
  • Demons by 7 - 20

Votes: 92 36.4%
  • Pies by a lot

Votes: 20 7.9%
  • Demons by a lot

Votes: 19 7.5%
  • Draw

Votes: 7 2.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I went to the KB match and the Dees were the better side. Since then I think the Pies form has dipped and Melbourne will have Oliver & Fritsch this time around. Close game but the Dees to pull away by a few goals when it counts.

Why do you say Fritsch “this time around” like he didn’t kick multiple goals in the KB match? He was playing and the only big change they could make to their side is Oliver.

Compared to Collingwood who will bring in De Goey, Sidebottom, Howe, McStay, Elliott, Ginnivan compared to KB.

Last edited:
Why do you say Fritsch “this time around” like he didn’t kick multiple goals in the KB match? He was playing and the only big change they could make to their side is Oliver.

Compared to Collingwood who will bring in De Goey, Sidebottom, Howe, McStay, Elliott, Ginnivan compared to KB.
Correct. Fritsch was there for KB, my bad.

The other big change is that the Dees are actually in better form than they were in June whilst the Pies are the opposite.

Correct. Fritsch was there for KB, my bad.

The other big change is that the Dees are actually in better form than they were in June whilst the Pies are the opposite.

You’d hope so given that they are at full strength with their team with hardly any injury. I don’t necessarily agree though - their June form was better to me, but I think that’s the same for every top team.

You’d hope so given that they are at full strength with their team with hardly any injury. I don’t necessarily agree though - their June form was better to me, but I think that’s the same for every top team.
don't underestimate Petty and Melksham. Petty especially is a massive out for us. It changes our whole structure.

Just like your ignoring seasons form, which have pies clear of Melbourne by a few games. We can cherry pick stats all we want, but come Thursday week it will all mean nothing.
Ladder position means very little between Collingwood and Melbourne now.

Who wins moves forward, who losers plays this years premier ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Obviously the newbies who haven't been owned by Collingwood for the past 5 years...

There's a lot of low quality banter in this thread old chaps! It's going to take a much better effort than this to reignite footy's OG rivalry.

On to the game and what a match up! A genuine 50/50 contest in front of 90,000+ at the G. So excited to see Dees vs Pies in a final. Am expecting to see the MCC chock-a-bloc with old fogeys in their blazers cheering on for number 5 and that boy with the tattoos etc. Expect there to be a lot of text messages to the ground staff for antisocial behaviour from this lot clashing with the great unwashed.

If Daicos was playing I think Collingwood might have a slight edge but as it stands, I'm tipping the Dees to win the midfield battle and dominate Dee 50 which is where finals tend to be won. Not so confident about the Melbourne forward line but when we're up and about bulk goals tend to come no matter the personnel. The last quarter and a half vs Sydney had shades of Melbourne 2021 and was the first time all year we've played the sort of football that won us a flag.

Could see this coming down to the wire, but Dees fitness and form line again gives them a slight edge. Chalk and cheese to where they were this time last season.

Look for Collingwood to come raring out of the blocks and be leading at half time. Can they rediscover some of their early season form? You would hope so for the long suffering fans.

Will the two wounded warriors Fritsch and Moore line up on each other again?

Have the Pies worked out a plan B since the Kings Birthday? On that day the Demons pressure stifled Collingwood's running game and only poor efficiency kept the Pies in it. Pies have a lot of players back in the side after that game, but their systemic breakdown must've given their coaching department pause.

Look for Collingwood to tag or negate Viney. Reckon if you shut him down you go a long way towards beating Melbourne. He's in great nick currently.

Not sure if this has been discussed but when was the last time a team lost 3/5 of the last H&A games and won the flag? Pies recent form is very ordinary and the final win VS an insipid Bombers means little.

Melbourne for me

Not sure if this has been discussed but when was the last time a team lost 3/5 of the last H&A games and won the flag? Pies recent form is very ordinary and the final win VS an insipid Bombers means little.

Melbourne for me
Damn that means I'll have to spend the whole night looking for one

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy AFL 2023 First Qualifying Final - Pies v Demons Thurs Sept 7th 7:20pm EST (MCG)

Back