Autopsy AFL 2023 Grand Final - Pies vs Lions Sat Sept 30th 2:30pm EST (MCG)

Who will win and by how much?

• Pies by a goal or less

Votes: 29 5.9%
  • Lions by a goal or less

Votes: 20 4.1%
  • Pies by 7-20

Votes: 116 23.6%
  • Lions by 7-20

Votes: 216 43.9%
  • Pies by a lot

Votes: 47 9.6%
  • Lions by a lot

Votes: 53 10.8%
  • Draw

Votes: 11 2.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Biggest ever comeback in a grand final at 3/4 is 24 points in 1984. They’d want to be a bit closer I’d reckon.
Maybe, but it's all mental. They'll both be knackered at that stage with the heat, in this scenario.
The crowd starts "Coooollingwoood, Coooollingwoood", get a quick goal or two, and tired Lions could try and save it, which won't end well if 20 points up with 15 minutes to go...

And melbourne smashed collingwood too but just couldn't kick straight and pies fans said that bad kicking is bad football so you can't have it both ways when you guys kick poorly.
I said that, and I'm an Essendon supporter.

The win is all that matters on GF day. Collingwood won despite poor goal kicking.

What you guys reckon, based on the umps throughout the year -

9 Kicks | 12 Handballs | 6 Marks | 3 Tackles | 1 Behind

Totaling 21 touches

3 Votes = Lachie Neale

Ricky Gervais Lol GIF

Pies deserved to win. Lions wingers were awful. Berry and Rayner will have a lot of time to think about that game.

Cracking day at the footy.
Self indulgent mistakes those blokes cost then a flag
Berry with the stupid 50m and Rayner for coughing up 2 goals in 2 mins first qtr

Very happy for Will Hoskin-Elliott, I always enjoy seeing the unlikely types win a flag.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some takes from the game:

- Always rate game breakers/dynamic players consistently now in pressure games thematically going for min/max works out better for years now. Hill from Hawthorn, Rioli, Dew, Morton, Smith, Embley, DeGoey, Bont etc etc.

- Moore though I do always like as a diehard his positioning stuff needs a retool imho. Not as physical as other great key backmen ala Rance/Lake/Scarlett so his speed from behind is mitigated to an extent and the initial positions puts it at a disadvantage. Turning into a bad habit. He got found out against a much taller opponent with great foot speed for his height in Daniher.

- DeGoey. Super impactful per touch, glad he’s settled now and a Magpie for now and into the future.

- Cameron, F me he is super scary whenever he is near the ball. Matchup nightmare pure class

- Pendles/Sidebum. Legends. In my time I do think Bucks was the better player and Swan peaked higher but both have games and physical attributes that age more well. It’s greedy but outside of a horrific injury I hope they don’t retire and keep playing for years because their conditioning is unbelievable. Steele is still arguably the best runner at our club and Pendles touch and awareness is always gold (not that it ever wasn’t lmao). Whether he’s a young Neo or an Old one he still sees the matrix clearly.

- Crisp best steak knives ever? Pretty much

- Shoutout to McCluggage. He and Green from GWS made me an insta fan from day dot on their first games. They have stiff comp in Walsh/Diacos but wouldn’t surprise at all if either or both win a Brownlow.

One of the worst GFs ever, it didn't even feel like a proper GF, they should have played extra time the week before and Collingwood probably would have lost.
Jesus you're a giant flog.

To all the critics trying to detract from the the win, by focusing on the free - please reflect of the the reality.
Namely, Coll we’re in control for the entire day, had 9 more scoring shots, out coached BNE, and nullified their stars.
Coll we’re the better team, as all sensible neutrals attest.
Your pettiness hides your clear lack of football knowledge, and insight.

And BTW Coll also won expected score!!!!!
Did you watch the game? No one from Collingwood had any impact outside of Hill and maybe Crisp. Brisbane we’re by far the better team but just weren’t clean enough at crucial moments going forward

All those complaining about the umpires have seriously NFI about football.
Premiers 2023!
EAD haters
Umpires had an influence but you are kidding if you think the Pies aren’t deserving. Best side all year, found a way to win.

I’m just upset that we didn’t get to see what happened when Neale got that free.

However, Berry giving away the most blatant and careless 50 is what put the game beyond doubt.

Enjoy the win.

If the ball is marked by a Brisbane player and it’s not called advantage are Brisbane robbed?

The call was right. The whole advantage thing is just a bit silly and needs to be looked at.

The call was not right lol Clearly the players involved didn't even hear a whistle so the Brisbane player naturally played on. Not knowingly thinking he was taking advantage... "advantage" was called after the kick... Umpires need to see what happens after the kick can in any way actually have a chance to be an advantage. Not in outcome but in opportunity. If it goes straight to an opponent there logically zero advantage to the initial call and it gets brought back.

The call was not right lol Clearly the players involved didn't even hear a whistle so the Brisbane player naturally played on. Not knowingly thinking he was taking advantage... "advantage" was called after the kick... Umpires need to see what happens after the kick can in any way actually have a chance to be an advantage. Not in outcome but in opportunity. If it goes straight to an opponent there logically zero advantage to the initial call and it gets brought back.
They call that back 99 times out of 100. The whistle had only just gone and Bailey snapped it over his shoulder to no one. I’ve seen plays go for 5 seconds longer that have been called back

Please provide the link where I made that statement.
To all the critics trying to detract from the the win, by focusing on the free - please reflect of the the reality.
Namely, Coll we’re in control for the entire day, had 9 more scoring shots, out coached BNE, and nullified their stars.
Coll we’re the better team, as all sensible neutrals attest.
Your pettiness hides your clear lack of football knowledge, and insight.

And BTW Coll also won expected score!!!!!
You weren’t even in control with 1:30 left

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy AFL 2023 Grand Final - Pies vs Lions Sat Sept 30th 2:30pm EST (MCG)

Back