Autopsy AFL 2024 First Semi Final - GWS V Lions Sat Sept 14th 7:30pm EST (Engie) Teams in OP

Who will win and by how much?

• GWS by a goal or less

Votes: 9 7.8%
  • Lions by a goal or less

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • GWS by 7 - 20

Votes: 41 35.7%
  • Lions by 7 - 20

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • GWS by a lot

Votes: 16 13.9%
  • Lions by a lot

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Draw

Votes: 1 0.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

A loss like that can really impact the club going forward. Most teams tend never revisit a loss like that - losing a major final from a winning position. The most recent one that comes to mind is Brisbane Broncos up 24-8 in the NRL Grand Final last year with 20 mins to go. Lost it, and didn't recover this season. The Atlanta Falcons lost one similarly against the Pats in a Superbowl.

Most sports organisations, coaches and players tend to never revisit the game. Never watch it, never want to think about it. A mental trauma they never want to relive. I heard a psychologist say that best way to deal with shit like that is the opposite. Re live the experience until you're just numb to it.

Interesting to see how Kinglsey and the club approach it.
Need to confront it.
I believe Adam will do so.
It doesn't mean over indulging the pain. Rather cold analysis, formulate remedy, and don't drop off the focus on other areas that are more good news.

Commentators smashing Brisbane for not moving Andrews onto Hogan and any other changes, Fagan's "trust your players" mentality won out in the end.

It's a problem if your best defender can't stop the opposition best forward. You were pretty close to losing, or do you think you won in a canter?

'Chris Fagan should be fined for interacting with the crowd. Coaches need to be more in control of their emotions after the game. Please explain coming' - Dermott Brereton

View attachment 2111578

IF Hinkley cant tell an opposition player to f**k off...

THEN Why can old man Fagan interact with the crowd? AFL need to step in.

You know in the rest of Australia no one gives a shit about Victoria?
Just like the rest of the world couldn't give 2 shits about Australia. Most think it is a country in eastern Europe.
The AFL just has to admit that GWS is a failed experiment. 12 years on and still no-one cares.
Hawthorn and North Melbourne took almost half a century to become relevant after joining the VFL in 1925. These things take a long time.

The problem there is, umpires cannot be awarding free kicks to make up for ones they supposedly missed, that is bordering on corruption.

If an umpire misses something they miss something, yes it sucks but sometimes the umpire cannot see everything as there are other players in front of the play blocking their view.

If that decision was a square-up, then that umpire should be sacked from the AFL, it is just not good enough to have people officiating in that manner.

I did some junior umpiring in my school days and Ian Coates, who was our umpires advisor, always drilled into us to "pay the free kicks you see, not the ones you think you see". He was very open about it saying on many occassions, "it is impossible to see every infringement that happens in a match".

The free kick against Taylor was simply inconsistent with the way that shit rule is meant to work (yes, I am a staunch opponent of that rule and want it to be rescinded and never to be seen ever again). Compounding matters was the time of the match that the officiating umpire decided to pluck out that highly controversial decision from deep inside his rear orifice.
My biggest problem with the insufficient intent / deliberate rule is that it was brought in to stop time wasting when the clock didn't stop constantly during the game. It is a redundant and irrelevant rule these days as the clock stops at every stoppage, and needs to be scrapped.

Most of the time it is harshly paid against a player who miskicks off the side of the boot, or punches / handballs out of a contest. The fact that it is NEVER paid against ruckmen who punch throw ins straight back to the boundary line (unless the ball goes over the line on the full) shows the folly of the rule.

I did some junior umpiring in my school days and Ian Coates, who was our umpires advisor, always drilled into us to "pay the free kicks you see, not the ones you think you see". He was very open about it saying on many occassions, "it is impossible to see every infringement that happens in a match".

The problem as I see it is when the umpires become overzealous with officiating that it ruins the game.

That call against a GWS player where a free was called in the goal square at the end of the first IRRC, he was told to play on before Lions players had moved away, as they're supposed to. The umpire should have stopped play, instructed the player to take possession and Lions player move away from the protected area before play on is called. Rule 20.1.2 Protected Area after a mark or free kick

Then late in the 4th with JD's kick from the boundary.

Idun takes possession, tackled by Cameron, you can see Idun's left arm swing in a motion that looks to attempt the handball. Connection is made but we cant see how as Idun is facing away from the camera

1726380009429.png

Genuine attempt?

Then the OOB deliberate awarded to JD, Taylor reaching forward, JD has his hands on Taylor's back

1726379787908.png

JD pushes Taylor into the ball, umpire is watching

1726380154894.png

1726380477428.png

1726380543805.png

JD after the push raises hands in an appeal for a free, Merideth (ump to the top right of JD) calls a deliberate OOB.

1726380605609.png

Rest is history, however Merideth arguably cost GWS the game with that shit call. He's no rookie ump.

huh? no one has announced they are leaving. all their key players are signed / committed.

Anyone who thinks they will drop off next year is either blind or holds a grudge.
Cumming and Perryman are goneski. They aren’t linked to anyone yet either. List will be worse next year. Will take a lot of work to get back to the same spot

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The problem as I see it is when the umpires become overzealous with officiating that it ruins the game.

That call against a GWS player where a free was called in the goal square at the end of the first IRRC, he was told to play on before Lions players had moved away, as they're supposed to. The umpire should have stopped play, instructed the player to take possession and Lions player move away from the protected area before play on is called. Rule 20.1.2 Protected Area after a mark or free kick

Then late in the 4th with JD's kick from the boundary.

Idun takes possession, tackled by Cameron, you can see Idun's left arm swing in a motion that looks to attempt the handball. Connection is made but we cant see how as Idun is facing away from the camera

View attachment 2111811

Genuine attempt?

Then the OOB deliberate awarded to JD, Taylor reaching forward, JD has his hands on Taylor's back

View attachment 2111807

JD pushes Taylor into the ball, umpire is watching

View attachment 2111822

View attachment 2111832

View attachment 2111834

JD after the push raises hands in an appeal for a free, Merideth (ump to the top right of JD) calls a deliberate OOB.

View attachment 2111842

Rest is history, however Merideth arguably cost GWS the game with that shit call. He's no rookie ump.

Wasn't the HTB fine? He played on basically immediately with 3 steps to the right not realising his own team mate had dragged a lion across behind him and BANG. This is routinely allowed, the GWS player just didn't have awareness.

Insufficient intent was fine. Taylor didn't mean to punch the ball to the boundary but thats what he did.

Idun clearly threw the ball over his shoulder on the replay from the other angle. That should have been paid first.

Cumming and Perryman are goneski. They aren’t linked to anyone yet either. List will be worse next year. Will take a lot of work to get back to the same spot
Those 2 players aren't critical to their future success. Especially given Peatling has stepped up and committed.

I think so. I was watching Cornes volcano segment on background so wasn’t paying much attention to the details. I think it may be on 9 now app for replay if you are interested

Yeah a brazen snipe during a game which knocks out a player is the same as a social media postwhich ruffled a few sensitive feathers.

Cornes really on the ball there.

Lol stick to rugby then and local crash and bash afl leagues. No one wanted you imposters apart of the our league anyway and mergers only made you free loaders competitive anyway.

Need more handouts/ academy players / whole state zoned players etc etc to remain a winning team?? Lol you guys! 🤣🤣

If this post has you rolling on the floor laughing than 60-0 really has made you unhinged.

Wasn't the HTB fine? He played on basically immediately with 3 steps to the right not realising his own team mate had dragged a lion across behind him and BANG. This is routinely allowed, the GWS player just didn't have awareness.

Insufficient intent was fine. Taylor didn't mean to punch the ball to the boundary but thats what he did.

Idun clearly threw the ball over his shoulder on the replay from the other angle. That should have been paid first.
No didn’t you read his post- he is the only person in Australia who thinks Idun handballed it. If your going to play on best you have a look to make sure there is no opposition around, maybe don’t assume. I mean GWS had 19 frees but I am sure all of those where spot on 🙄

fair comment, I checked the rules again and it clearly states that if an opponent is following a player in the protected zone it's allowed

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy AFL 2024 First Semi Final - GWS V Lions Sat Sept 14th 7:30pm EST (Engie) Teams in OP

Back