Preview AFL 2024 Preliminary Final - Swans v Port Fri Sept 20th 7:40pm EST (SCG)

Who will win and by how much?

• Swans by a goal or less

• Port by a goal or less

• Swans by 7 - 20

• Port by 7 - 20

• Swans by a lot

• Port by a lot

• Draw

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

How the hell Swans held on to win that game was right up there

O'Loughlin & Jason Ball were out for the year (O'Keefe & Saddington didn't play either)
Daryn Cresswell was down to one hamstring
Even bloody Paul Roos tore his Achilles the week before

Kennelly, Doyle & Seymour went down and put the Swans down to 19 fit players
They didn't kick a goal for the last 20 minutes against a team that finished 3 games clear on top

And somehow still won, adding yet another chapter of finals failure for Choco's Port teams... who eventually got it together 12 months later
Yeah, we choked it big time no doubt … Swans were manic in pursuit of victory and deserved the win, one of their best.
It wasn’t all one way, We did have a few handy players out too in Primus, Francou and James, basically our starting midfield.

We know Swans will be behind at HT. The question will be by how much and how much run does Port have in their legs. The short ground will help Port who can score quickly if they get on top in centre clearances. Everyone believes this will be the easy prelim, reckon this is the close one and the other is a bigger margin.

H2H record in Finals:
  • QF (2003) = Port Adelaide 88-100 Sydney
Sydney leads the H2H record 1-0.
Remember that game well. Had these punk kid Power fans (<12 years old) giving me crap all before the match. Potty mouth language and their parents were encouraging it. Kids ended up crying at the final siren.

Dressed up in my full Sydney attire the next day, rocking up to uni lectures as a mate there was a mad Power fun. The look on his face when I entered the lecture theatre was priceless. Fun times.

Last edited:
Remember that game well. Had these punk kid Power fans (<12 years old) giving me crap all before the match. Potty mouth language and their parents were encouraging it. Kids ended up crying at the final siren.

Dressed up in my full Sydney attire the next day, rocking up to uni lectures as a mate there was a mad Power fun. The look on is face when I entered the lecture theatre was priceless. Fun times.

To make you feel old those punk kids would all now be in their early to mid 30's.

Hinkley frantically scrolling to find a social media post to put on the whiteboard and use as motivation.

Does Papley have any social media accounts? Probably best to avoid posting this week.

Attachments

• FFD2A6E1-400E-424A-8398-7B72C02EC290.gif
    FFD2A6E1-400E-424A-8398-7B72C02EC290.gif
    227.4 KB · Views: 6
I think the winner of this game wins the flag. Sydney are back in form and port are severely underated by many, it will be close but the home ground and crowd might be enough to get sydney home. Swans by 7 points.

Given up on tipping so hoping for a good tough game regardless. A battle across Heeney & JHF will be worth it's weight in gold if both players are on their game

Marshall is out, do dixon will play ruining any attempt at forward half pressure.

JHF will be a huge out.

Injuries to Port players, may leave them with an inferior team they put on the park on Friday. Replacements are not upgrades ?.

What are Sydney’s outs, then ins ?. Changes to team from last week, may be minimal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

20 years ago the Power won the flag. They played Geelong in a QF and then beat a team starting with S in the Prelim. Afterwards they watched on the next night as Brisbane played Geelong at the MCG.

I'm not one for omens but put all your money on the Hinkley train. Power are bringing it home.

We know Swans will be behind at HT. The question will be by how much and how much run does Port have in their legs. The short ground will help Port who can score quickly if they get on top in centre clearances. Everyone believes this will be the easy prelim, reckon this is the close one and the other is a bigger margin.

SCG isnt that short anymore. They added several metres at the Paddington end when the new Bradman/Noble Stand was built.

It looks small on tele because the grandstands all around the ground and the camera gantries in the Ladies Stand, and the ends of the field are practically on top of the playing arena. A great venue for atmosphere and a beautiful ground.

Dimensionals are virtually the same, anyone who is using “ground size” as a factor for either team has rocks in their head.

Only totally strange ground shape nowadays is Kardinia Park.

SCG isnt that short anymore. They added several metres at the Paddington end when the new Bradman/Noble Stand was built.

It looks small on tele because the grandstands all around the ground and the camera gantries in the Ladies Stand, and the ends of the field are practically on top of the playing arena. A great venue for atmosphere and a beautiful ground.
It is still small in length comparison to mcg and Adelaide oval

Dimensionals are virtually the same, anyone who is using “ground size” as a factor for either team has rocks in their head.

Only totally strange ground shape nowadays is Kardinia Park.
It isn’t though? Believe it’s a big reason why Swans can’t win the GF last few attempts. Bigger ground more running less of a contested scrap

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview AFL 2024 Preliminary Final - Swans v Port Fri Sept 20th 7:40pm EST (SCG)

Back