Autopsy AFL 2024 Round 16 - Cats v Bombers Sat June 29th 7:30pm AEST (MCG)

Who will win and by how much?

• Cats by a goal or less

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Bombers by a goal or less

Votes: 5 9.3%
  • Cats by 7 - 20

Votes: 9 16.7%
  • Bombers by 7 - 20

Votes: 23 42.6%
  • Cats by a lot

Votes: 5 9.3%
  • Bombers by a lot

Votes: 9 16.7%
  • Draw

Votes: 2 3.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Of course we aren’t a top 4 team, no arguments from me there, you can’t deny that the umpires completely changed that game last night though, it went from a tight 50/50 contest to a 4 goal Geelong lead all off the back off poor umpiring decisions, yes Essendon could have stood up in the last quarter no doubt, but momentum is such a hard thing to wrestle back and we definitely aren’t there yet in that regard.

It was a 3 goal lead, yes the umpires had an influence, but it wasn't a 50/50 contest it was 10 goals to 2 after half time.

How ****ed is your comprehension? You just said I was wrong and then repeated back exactly what I said.

Under the current deal, Geelong have to play some of their home games at the G, so it would be more advantageous for them to host them against sides like Sydney than play them against Melbourne-based sides like Essendon and Collingwood.
Or is the inbreeding in Geelong that bad that you can't understand that.
Yeah inbreeding, good one cob

It was a 3 goal lead, yes the umpires had an influence, but it wasn't a 50/50 contest it was 10 goals to 2 after half time.
It was 50/50 until that point, the Draper free would have put us in front, instead it goes straight down the other end for a goal, then the Menzie call and the Ridley call, that’s a 4 goal swing in a short period, completely changed the game, and that’s not even taking into account the two non calls on Bowes and Stewart inside their defensive 50.

It was 50/50 until that point, the Draper free would have put us in front, instead it goes straight down the other end for a goal, then the Menzie call and the Ridley call, that’s a 4 goal swing in a short period, completely changed the game, and that’s not even taking into account the two non calls on Bowes and Stewart inside their defensive 50.

OK, I concede you were unlucky to lose by eight goals.

Touhy hit the ball, the Menzie call was correct, as was the Ridley call. Maybe Essendon players can work on getting better at football and they won't give away dumb frees

Touhy hit the ball, the Menzie call was correct, as was the Ridley call. Maybe Essendon players can work on getting better at football and they won't give away dumb frees
He chopped Drapers arm mate, it’s as clear as day, you can’t actually be seriously thinking that was the right call?

Ridley had no prior, was tackled immediately and had arms pinned, that’s not holding the ball.

Menzie call was also wrong, a player within 3 metres is considered physical pressure.

He chopped Drapers arm mate, it’s as clear as day, you can’t actually be seriously thinking that was the right call?

Ridley had no prior, was tackled immediately and had arms pinned, that’s not holding the ball.

Menzie call was also wrong, a player within 3 metres is considered physical pressure.
Touhy was making a play on the ball

1719739872556.png

Ridley had one arm free and chose not to dispose of the ball

1719740535445.png
1719740644959.png

The Geelong players had stopped chasing Menzie well before he got to the line. He was under no pressure

1719739814087.png

View attachment 2035325

View attachment 2035344
View attachment 2035349

The Geelong players had stopped chasing Menzie well before he got to the line. He was under no pressure

View attachment 2035322
Your first photo literally shows him chopping Drapers arm, enough said

Ridley was tackled almost instantaneously with getting the ball, no prior.

Dempsey is within 2 metres of Menzie inside the 9, you can take the ball over in that instance.

Dempsey is within 2 metres of Menzie inside the 9, you can take the ball over in that instance.
Not sure the Tuohy/Draper shot shows that but I'd have probably paid a chop regardless.

I agree with the htb on Ridley shouldn't be prior but it was cake that way for us ageist zach Tuohy in game two.

I also didn't like the Menzie rush behind call but the actual rules doesn't say anything about metres.

Even counting all of those as 6 points each off the margin you still lost by 4 goals.

Not sure the Tuohy/Draper shot shows that but I'd have probably paid a chop regardless.

I agree with the htb on Ridley shouldn't be prior but it was cake that way for us ageist zach Tuohy in game two.

I also didn't like the Menzie rush behind call but the actual rules doesn't say anything about metres.

Even counting all of those as 6 points each off the margin you still lost by 4 goals.
It’s not that black and white though, all those and the non calls on Stewart and Bowes in the defensive 50 all happened within a 15 minute stretch, it completely changed the game, Draper would have been lining up to put Essendon in front, it started a massive momentum shift towards Geelong. We completely fell away after that and that’s 100% on us but it really shouldn’t have come to that.

Every team has fans that acknowlEdge the efforts of others. With the rarest of exceptions Carlton fans are trolls both here and irl.

I’m not sure why this is the case
Up themself arrogant fan base born with silver spoons genuinely believing that they can - nay - should be able to replicate the success from the inequitable zoning era in the much fairer draft era.

So here we are, finals for the first time in cooey last year, no flag yet to speak of and we have the most arrogant display going around. They genuinely believe their shit don't stink, they are premiers in waiting and on the cusp of a dynasty.

Their fans (not all) replicate the figjam attitudes of Cripps and Curnow. That shit eating grin and un-earned swagger.
Don't care who, someone must burst this bubble in September.

It’s not that black and white though, all those and the non calls on Stewart and Bowes in the defensive 50 all happened within a 15 minute stretch, it completely changed the game, Draper would have been lining up to put Essendon in front, it started a massive momentum shift towards Geelong. We completely fell away after that and that’s 100% on us but it really shouldn’t have come to that.
Geelong has the second worst free kick differential in the league, with some true howlers going against us in close games. It's not why we lost those and it's not why you lost this one.

The fact this is an "away" game for Essendon at the MCG shows you everything wrong with the AFL.

If the Cats have to play home games there it should be against sides outside Victoria.
No. Not travelling an hour up the highway to watch us play Freo.
You're barely worth the trip to KP.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Also jog on WalshistheGOAT repeating comments on the figjam board. Speak when spoken to son.
george costanza photoshoot GIF by HULU

Lmao just a few weeks ago you were using this weekly edition of "v top 8" crap by counting Melbourne, Port and Suns. Now they're in the bottom 10. You are a literal "temporary analyst". You learned absolutely NOTHING from 2022.

Drew with Pies, you lost to them.
Beat Adelaide, you lost to them.
Smashed Doggies, who are in the 8 now, you didn't play them nor wouldn't have used them in your "v top 8" a few weeks ago.
Beat GWS.

You notched a win against a Brisbane side that couldn't stand up. You were absolutely pummelled by Sydney whereas we pushed them to junk time.

You touted the Port win as a sign, now they're in the bottom 10.

You are the ultimate "mid-year"/week-to-week king. What a clown.
GWS aren't in the 8, Port are. So now it's less in your favour. And even if we include them, it's still not in your favour. Let's be generous though, let's include all teams who are in the finals and are still in the finals hunt. Currently there are 5 teams on 32 points, all one game off the eight. Anyone below that are not in the hunt.

So far, Carlton are 8-3 against all these sides, but yet to play the Bulldogs and the Hawks.

Essendon are 3-1-5, but yet to play Fremantle, Melbourne and Brisbane.

We're already 16 rounds in so it's a big enough sample size. "But but 2022" does not apply here, we look nothing like that and it's laughable you're trying to use events from 2 years ago to point-score.

Objectively, you're not as good as you think you are (most Essendon supporters here concede this point), and you're certainly not better than Carlton. You argue like a 13 year old, sometimes I wonder if daddy or an older sibling registered this account for you.

Good luck against Collingwood, because you're gonna need it.

Every team has fans that acknowlEdge the efforts of others. With the rarest of exceptions Carlton fans are trolls both here and irl.

I’m not sure why this is the case

Up themself arrogant fan base born with silver spoons genuinely believing that they can - nay - should be able to replicate the success from the inequitable zoning era in the much fairer draft era.

So here we are, finals for the first time in cooey last year, no flag yet to speak of and we have the most arrogant display going around. They genuinely believe their shit don't stink, they are premiers in waiting and on the cusp of a dynasty.

Their fans (not all) replicate the figjam attitudes of Cripps and Curnow. That shit eating grin and un-earned swagger.
Don't care who, someone must burst this bubble in September.

In a Cats v Bombers thread, you 2 need a snickers?

Yeah no you're right, every call that benefited Geelong was incorrect

There is no way the Ridley holding the ball call was correct, has zero prior.
Cameron should not be allowed to stand in the protected zone and receive a handball.
The Bowes one is paid more often than not.
The Menzie one no one has any idea
What the rule is, they literally just had one in the Saints game that was worse and not paid.
Having watched that third quarter again, there were quite a few similar to Bowes for Essendon called play on - clearly read by umpire as ball knocked out in tackle while attempting to dispose. Thought that was read of Stewart one too, but not a great read in my opinion. Only out and out ridiculous was Draper, yet you can find examples this season where it has been adjudicated the same as Touhy curled arm and tried to sight ball that could be construed as attempted mark, but pretty poor attempt and the arm ripped down on way down. Plus ump was right there, on right side and should have called it. Three quarter wasn’t as bad on second watch as on initial, although I’m Geelong so it was nice on first watch too. Remember we have only won one free kick count this year so most Cats fans were surprised too. Menzie was taking the p155 as he should have at least turned his body and gave the ump something to pin his decision on - rule is clearly muddy though.

Having watched that third quarter again, there were quite a few similar to Bowes for Essendon called play on - clearly read by umpire as ball knocked out in tackle while attempting to dispose. Thought that was read of Stewart one too, but not a great read in my opinion. Only out and out ridiculous was Draper, yet you can find examples this season where it has been adjudicated the same as Touhy curled arm and tried to sight ball that could be construed as attempted mark, but pretty poor attempt and the arm ripped down on way down. Plus ump was right there, on right side and should have called it. Three quarter wasn’t as bad on second watch as on initial, although I’m Geelong so it was nice on first watch too. Remember we have only won one free kick count this year so most Cats fans were surprised too. Menzie was taking the p155 as he should have at least turned his body and gave the ump something to pin his decision on - rule is clearly muddy though.

Field umpires dont watch replays during the match

Field umpires dont watch replays during the match
They don’t. They make decisions in the moment on a rather nuanced scale and sometimes make decisions on one key trigger when others are occurring around it. They make mistakes, but they pin decisions on these things they see. How many ridiculously bad skill errors were performed by both teams - Cameron’s right boot kick sideways to opposition under little pressure, a number of out on fulls with little pressure. If they watched the Draper one, they’d say they should have paid it, but most others, outside Stewart decision for mine, would be ticked off or at least they’d say I paid or didn’t pay it because of this trigger they saw. Just my thoughts

View attachment 2035325

View attachment 2035344
View attachment 2035349

View attachment 2035322
The Sam Draper one was incorrect. Even if Touhy hit the ball he still dragged the arm of Draper straight down. It is like pulling off a run down tackle but landing in the back of the opponent. The skill execution needs to be correct for it to be play on.

The deliberate one was correct as per their reasoning in the Richmond game earlier in the year with Nathan Broad. The Essendon player had an opportunity to continue to run or even try and dispose of the ball. He decided to run closer to goal and then just run straight over.

See Broad incident at 5:24

From herald sun
Some of the other decisions that helped us around holding the ball, some under my understanding of the interpretation of the rules, the umpires had a different view on.

“The Ridley one, for example. He had no prior opportunity but the umpires’ view was that he had sufficient intent to dispose of the ball.

“The Ridley one is interesting. I find it very hard for Ridley with two arms pinned to make an attempt to dispose of the ball. I wasn’t sure how he was supposed to do that. The fans would be confused by that. (But the AFL says) if you don’t have prior opportunity and you make an attempt it doesn’t have to be correct disposal.

But Scott told Fox Footy the league had told Essendon the Menzie decision was incorrect and Draper should have been paid a free kick for the Zach Tuohy arm chop.

The one with Stewart he attempted to dispose of the ball so it’s play on. The fans would be confused by those. I don’t think it’s helpful to go on a witch hunt about obvious mistakes. Clarify the grey area around prior opportunity. That is the one we are struggling with. Most of us would say the Ridley one is a mistake but the umpires would say he has to kick that. I don’t know how.”

Stewarts attempt was incorrect disposal after having prior opp , tried to break the tackle

The afl changed the tackling rule to reduce the head slam by blowing the whistle earlier than before . This has affected the holding the ball rule as an unintended consequence.

Last edited:
Back