Autopsy AFL 2024 Round 16 - Tigers v Blues Sun June 30th 3:20pm AEST (MCG)

Who will win and by how much?

• Tigers by a goal or less

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Blues by a goal or less

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tigers by 7 - 20

Votes: 3 4.4%
  • Blues by 7 - 20

Votes: 8 11.8%
  • Tigers by a lot

Votes: 6 8.8%
  • Blues by a lot

Votes: 49 72.1%
  • Draw

Votes: 1 1.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

You need to read it again.

(a) The end of a quarter occurs when any field Umpire or emergency Umpire first hears the siren sounded by the Timekeepers to signal the end of a quarter. The field Umpire shall acknowledge the siren and bring play to an end by blowing a whistle and holding both arms above their head.

Literally says that the Umpire must hear the siren and then the play ends when they blow the whistle and hold both arms above his head. I have bolded it if it still confuses.
Nope.

“The end of a quarter occurs when any umpire first hears the siren”. The subsequent signals are only to tell everyone play is over. We literally see this all the time on line-ball calls (like this one) - where the ump takes a second or two to physically blow the whistle, they are still able to void kicks that occur in that time. Most famously in a draw between Hawthorn and GWS in 2017 when this was put under the microscope.

I’m an ex umpire - I know exactly what I’m talking about. This is a myth.

The quarter ends when the umpire hears the siren.

Thats when it ends. They then indicate it by holding their arms in the air.
Can people not read, **** me. They have to blow the whistle. The quarter ends when the Umpire hears the siren and brings play to an end by blowing a whistle and holding both arms above their head.

Seriously our schooling system can not be so shit that people are failing to comprehend a rather basic writing of a rule. You would all be correct in your comprehension but is is the phrase "Bring play to an end" that means that there is a scenario where all the umpires hear the siren and keep play live for 1 minute after it.

Hell here is ChatGPT interpreting the rule as well

Certainly! Here’s an interpretation of the rule:

1. End of Quarter Trigger: The quarter officially ends when a field Umpire or an emergency Umpire hears the siren that the Timekeepers sound to signal the end of the quarter.

2. Umpire's Acknowledgment: Upon hearing the siren, the field Umpire must acknowledge it.

3. Bringing Play to an End: The field Umpire then stops the game by blowing a whistle and raising both arms above their head.

In essence, the end of the quarter is marked by the Umpire's acknowledgment and physical signal after hearing the siren.

Can people not read, **** me. They have to blow the whistle. The quarter ends when the Umpire hears the siren and brings play to an end by blowing a whistle and holding both arms above their head.

Seriously our schooling system can not be so shit that people are failing to comprehend a rather basic writing of a rule. You would all be correct in your comprehension but is is the phrase "Bring play to an end" that means that there is a scenario where all the umpires hear the siren and keep play live for 1 minute after it.

1. End of Quarter Trigger: The quarter officially ends when a field Umpire or an emergency Umpire hears the siren that the Timekeepers sound to signal the end of the quarter.

2. Umpire's Acknowledgment: Upon hearing the siren, the field Umpire must acknowledge it.

3. Bringing Play to an End: The field Umpire then stops the game by blowing a whistle and raising both arms above their head.

In essence, the end of the quarter is marked by the Umpire's acknowledgment and physical signal after hearing the siren.
You are wrong.

The 1980s called and want you back.

Nope.

“The end of a quarter occurs when any umpire first hears the siren”. The subsequent signals are only to tell everyone play is over. We literally see this all the time on line-ball calls (like this one) - where the ump takes a second or two to physically blow the whistle, they are still able to void kicks that occur in that time. Most famously in a draw between Hawthorn and GWS in 2017 when this was put under the microscope.

I’m an ex umpire - I know exactly what I’m talking about. This is a myth.
Taking you at face value as an umpire then this is a stupid rule and should be changed to be concrete.

This opens up a scenario for clear match fixing because it allows the AFL to muddy the waters on the end of play. The umpire can let the game go for a little before calling end to the play then if something major occurs the emergency umpire can just come out and say (or lie) "I heard it as soon as it went off".

Taking you at face value as an umpire then this is a stupid rule and should be changed to be concrete.

This opens up a scenario for clear match fixing because it allows the AFL to muddy the waters on the end of play. The umpire can let the game go for a little before calling end to the play then if something major occurs the emergency umpire can just come out and say (or lie) "I heard it as soon as it went off".
Not trying to be mean at all with this question but: Are you quite young?

Look up AFL Sirengate

Lota of anger but you are just wrong.

I agree it is outdated with current technology - it should be rewritten as “the quarter ends the moment the siren sounds”. This stuff would be easily reviewable at breaks and avoids all the grey areas. At the moment they’re unfortunately not able to review it.

I’m fairly sure I made a thread on it a few years ago after the umps got a couple wrong.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy AFL 2024 Round 16 - Tigers v Blues Sun June 30th 3:20pm AEST (MCG)

Back