Autopsy AFL 2024 Round 16 - Eagles v Hawks Sun June 30th 4:40pm AEST/1:40pm WST (OS)

Who will win and by how much?

• Eagles by a goal or less

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Hawks by a goal or less

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Eagles by 7 - 20

Votes: 20 29.9%
  • Hawks by 7 - 20

Votes: 23 34.3%
  • Eagles by a lot

Votes: 5 7.5%
  • Hawks by a lot

Votes: 17 25.4%
  • Draw

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Lmao footy fans are so reactionary. Hawks have made finals twice in the last 8 seasons and are only just starting to show signs of improvement.

C'mon man, they are looking the goods... I'm a Freo supporter. Ya gotta give them credit.

Not many 2 or 3 win seasons though.

Are you shooting for 4 of those seasons in a row now?

Good thing you went in with a 26.1 profile today
Don’t think there’s been a worse injury list ever for at least 2 of those years. This year is probably the only legitimate one and we’ve looked decent at times.

Don’t think there’s been a worse injury list ever for at least 2 of those years. This year is probably the only legitimate one and we’ve looked decent at times.
You had, what 2 players on the injury list today?

Good thing you went in with one of the oldest 22’s for the round, flooded the field and relied on a first year player to give you any movement whatsoever.

The worst Hawthorn team I have ever seen (the 4-18 2004 season) was substantially better than any of West Coast’s last four seasons

C'mon man, they are looking the goods... I'm a Freo supporter. Ya gotta give them credit.
Sure but you’d think their fans would know better after being in a very similar position for the best part of the last decade. Shitting on a team down the bottom of the ladder after a handful of wins is hilariously insecure when they were right with us 2 months ago.

Not many 2 or 3 win seasons though.

Are you shooting for 4 of those seasons in a row now?
Weird thing was Hawks, North and crows were all bottom 8 between 2020-2023.

I actually thought crows were on the up at the end of 2023, lookin' like to make finals in 2024. I overestimated their older players being good and their younger mids in that 21-24 year old range great. I was wrong.

Hawks copped their beating from 2020-23. They were 0-5 this season.

I don't think hawks will play finals this year. 9th to 12th. But they will contend for finals in 2025.

Sure but you’d think their fans would know better after being in a very similar position for the best part of the last decade. Shitting on a team down the bottom of the ladder after a handful of wins is hilariously insecure when they were right with us 2 months ago.
Compare the pair

742E8359-6AC0-417B-9D06-567AAFB3FBD4.jpeg 88022CC9-926D-43B5-94BD-CD30990885B1.jpeg

Hawthorn won almost as many games in their worst season (2023) than the Eagles have in the last three years combined.

And yet the Eagles still have a woeful age profile

I dunno man , I havnt delved into the deep of things, but from a neutral supporter I see them playing some pretty
tough footy. They show alot of grit .

You had, what 2 players on the injury list today?

Good thing you went in with one of the oldest 22’s for the round, flooded the field and relied on a first year player to give you any movement whatsoever.

The worst Hawthorn team I have ever seen (the 4-18 2004 season) was substantially better than any of West Coast’s last four seasons
Tell me you don’t know how professional sport works. Ryan, Allen, Kelly, Brockman, Yeo, Hunt, Flynn all with heavily interrupted seasons. Has an impact on everyone else, especially when they’re all kids

Tell me you don’t know how professional sport works. Ryan, Allen, Kelly, Brockman, Yeo, Hunt, Flynn all with heavily interrupted seasons. Has an impact on everyone else, especially when they’re all kids
And that's why you rolled out one of football’s oldest teams despite shooting for three successive 20 loss seasons?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Helps playing in Vic doesn’t it? You won’t bottom out as hard but it’ll be harder to climb back up.
I dunno, 20 loss seasons are extremely rare whether in the VFL or AFL eras. Hawthorn have been dreadful since 2016 (and played dour and depressing football towards the end of Clarkson’s tenure) but they've never been that bad - well not since the 1950s!

Hawthorn effectively wasted five years between 2016/2020, we should have stripped back and started again after 2015.

But the current post 2021 regime have not put a step wrong, without a raft of high draft picks (because Clarkson sold the farm on JOM, Wingard and Mitchell) and because historically terrible West North have were gifted a priority pick

True true, but it's always better to move forwards...
So why aren’t WC being given the same leniency? 2 of the worst injury riddled seasons of all time and people expect improvement the following year when they haven’t even been on the park?

This year is year 0. To get anything out of the last 2 years would be unrealistic.

I dunno, 20 loss seasons are extremely rare whether in the VFL or AFL eras. Hawthorn have been dreadful since 2016 (and played dour and depressing football towards the end of Clarkson’s tenure) but they've never been that bad - well not since the 1950s!

Hawthorn effectively wasted five years between 2016/2020, we should have stripped back and started again after 2015.

But the current post 2021 regime have not put a step wrong, without a raft of high draft picks (because Clarkson sold the farm on JOM, Wingard and Mitchell) and because historically terrible West Coast and North have been given priority picks
2 of those seasons have been with WAFL players getting a lot of games just to get a side out there. This year is the only year we’ve actually been able to get games into anyone.

So why aren’t WC being given the same leniency? 2 of the worst injury riddled seasons of all time and people expect improvement the following year when they haven’t even been on the park?

This year is year 0. To get anything out of the last 2 years would be unrealistic.

But was it ? ;) Harley Reid came at a cheap price.

Back