Autopsy AFL 2024 Round 16 - Eagles v Hawks Sun June 30th 4:40pm AEST/1:40pm WST (OS)

Who will win and by how much?

• Eagles by a goal or less

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Hawks by a goal or less

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Eagles by 7 - 20

Votes: 20 29.9%
  • Hawks by 7 - 20

Votes: 23 34.3%
  • Eagles by a lot

Votes: 5 7.5%
  • Hawks by a lot

Votes: 17 25.4%
  • Draw

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Nah, that’s just your uneducated opinion.

Reid looks good, I like Chesser although production isn’t there, Waterman, Allen, Brockman are literally the only pieces of youth that definitely have talent and will make it, Ginbey too although I don’t rate him as highly as others with his poor kicking and skill.

Hawthorns talent profile is night and day better than West Coasts. The Eagles really need a few years down the bottom, especially before Tasmania come in.
Hewett and Long not out there today, neither was Culley, with guys like Hall and Burgiel who we haven’t seen yet. Hough is also projecting to be an elite lockdown small defender. There’s plenty to work with.

I wouldn’t say Hawthorns talent profile is that impressive. Day is the only one I’d classify as a jet. Weddle is a bit of a unicorn too. Newcombe and Worpel are both plodders who are decent on the inside. But aside from that it’s a bunch of undersized or nothing players like Amon, Impey, Scrimshaw etc

Effort is a non negotiable and the Eagles barely gave that. You could see it from the lack of urgency in transition to protect ball movement. The structure fell apart, the effort dropped off and bullied around the ball, outworked and cut apart. It was night and day but it starts from a lack of effort.
How can you claim it’s effort from your couch at home? Maybe they were out on their legs because a number have had interrupted seasons and can’t keep up.

Last edited:
Hewett and Long not out there today, neither was Culley, with guys like Hall and Burgiel who we haven’t seen yet. Hough is also projecting to be an elite lockdown small defender. There’s plenty to work with.

I wouldn’t say Hawthorns talent profile is that impressive. Day is the only one I’d classify as a jet. Weddle is a bit of a unicorn too. Newcombe and Worpel are both plodders who are decent on the inside. But aside from that it’s a bunch of undersized or nothing players like Amon, Impey, Scrimshaw etc
Hewett is a good talent I like him a lot, Long I haven’t seen as much of but from what I have he looks slight but talented. Culley isn’t worth mentioning, probably won’t be on the list soon. Every club has talent unseen, the point is the age profile is of a club contending and the talent isn’t there. Hough looks solid, but elite lockdown defender is a reach.

Newcombe and Worpel are plodders?

Worpel definitely isn’t an outside mid, although he’s worked extremely hard on his composure and ball use which has paid off, sitting 7th for goal assists in the league.

But Newcombe?? He is an explosive athlete with great burst and strength, he absolutely torched West Coast today through his damaging and penetrating ball use on the outside. Aswell as his burst from stoppage and contest.

Scrimshaw has been in awesome form all year as a KPD, he’s 194/195 so “undersized”??? he is a great intercept mark, super ball user and his defensive ability has been top notch all year.

Amon has been great with ball use off half back, although irrelevant to youth.

Lewis, MacDonald, Ward, Dear, Ginnivan, Watson, Mitchell, Jiath, D’Ambrosio, Hustwaite, DGB, Meek, Moore are just some you didn’t name who are talented players, Moore was BOG for gods sake and will make AA 😂

By mentioning talent that no one has seen there’s still Bennetts, Phillips, McCabe, Ramsden, Serong etc too

You’re just so far off the mark.

It isn’t that deep, he’s shushing the crowd because he has been copping it. It’s a bit of flavour to the game. He’s going to be a gun, just enjoy the game.
Nah, Watson is a flog. He’s copping it because he’s a flog. Very happy to have a game wining flog in the team and I’ll enjoy his contribution to a win but sometimes you just have to call a spade a spade. Every team has one or two, and he’s gone straight to the top of the flog category.

"We would have won if we played 8 guys noone has heard of instead of our team filled with fit, highly experienced players"...

Continuing to argue 6 hours after the belting is impressive.

"We would have won if we played 8 guys noone has heard of instead of our team filled with fit, highly experienced players"...

Continuing to argue 6 hours after the belting is impressive.
Who said anything about winning? Way to completely go off on your own tangent to suit yourself. The discussion was about where both lists are at and how the Hawks were in a similar position as recent as last year and early stages of this year. But go off.

Nah, Watson is a flog. He’s copping it because he’s a flog. Very happy to have a game wining flog in the team and I’ll enjoy his contribution to a win but sometimes you just have to call a spade a spade. Every team has one or two, and he’s gone straight to the top of the flog category.
What defines it? You don’t know him as a person, and you could call everyone in the team a flog with the celebrations. It’s so pointless to worry about.

What defines it? You don’t know him as a person, and you could call everyone in the team a flog with the celebrations. It’s so pointless to worry about.
Not worrying about it, and really enjoying his on field contributions, other than his goal kicking. As I’ve said in previous posts, we all know he is going to be elite but fair dinkum, just wait a little while to earn the right to carry on like a pork chop. Did you not think Ginnivan was a flog before coming across to the Hawks?

Last edited:
Not worrying about it, and really enjoying his on field contributions, other than his goal kicking. As I’ve said in previous posts, we all know he has the going to be elite but fair dinkum, just wait a little while to earn the right to carry on like a pork chop. Did you not think Ginnivan was a flog before coming across to the Hawks?
Maybe different but no, he has changed to not duck at every opportunity or flop. So I disliked that part of his game. But in terms to the X factor , showman attributes and celebrations, I love it.

I honestly can’t believe there WC supporters in here arguing that their yoof are better than hawthorns, after the YOUNGER hawks have absolutely torn them a new one on their home deck and with supposedly WC best team on paper.

Do they think Harley Reid constitutes an entire teams youth as being exceptional??
🤣

WC fans really need to stop reading the west Australian/listening to Tim gossage and Scott Cummings

Scrimshaw is the 8th most prolific interceptor in the competition (based on average intercepts and looking at those who have played at least 10 games). This is especially impressive given he's not our main interceptor, that is sicily (who sits 5th on that table).

Amon has the 6th highest average rebound 50s per game in the competition (again including only those with 10 or more games, 5th highest in total rebound 50s). Amon also has the 5th most average metres gained per game in the competition (3rd most total metres gained).

I don't think you watch many Hawthorn games, those two are guns.

If Hawthorn's talent profile is unimpressive, Eagles are well and truly ****ed. We came off the bye and smashed you by 10 goals on your home deck with your best on-paper team for the year. To be honest I thought we'd lose, but I massively overestimated WC. We were about 1.5 years younger on average and nearly 20 games less experienced on average. We have a lot of room to improve in many of our younger players. A pity we don't play you twice this year, we'd be a much better chance of playing finals if we did.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Effort is a non negotiable and the Eagles barely gave that. You could see it from the lack of urgency in transition to protect ball movement. The structure fell apart, the effort dropped off and bullied around the ball, outworked and cut apart. It was night and day but it starts from a lack of effort.
It was their lack of effort that stood out, and a coach who looked like he didn’t care.

I honestly can’t believe there WC supporters in here arguing that their yoof are better than hawthorns, after the YOUNGER hawks have absolutely torn them a new one on their home deck and with supposedly WC best team on paper.

Do they think Harley Reid constitutes an entire teams youth as being exceptional??
🤣

WC fans really need to stop reading the west Australian/listening to Tim gossage and Scott Cummings
Probably jumps from roof to roof in Canningvale

Back