Autopsy AFL 2024 Round 19 - Lions v Swans Sun July 21st 1:10pm AEST (Gabba)

Who will win and by how much?

• Lions by a goal or less

Votes: 6 10.3%
  • Swans by a goal or less

Votes: 4 6.9%
  • Lions by 7 - 20

Votes: 21 36.2%
  • Swans by 7 - 20

Votes: 17 29.3%
  • Lions by a lot

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • Swans by a lot

Votes: 7 12.1%
  • Draw

Votes: 2 3.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah it definitely wasn't intended as a take down of Brisbane or anything, who are now a really good shot at top 4 and who knows from there.

More that some neutrals (more than Brisbane supporters) have really gotten behind the narrative of Brisbane as an extremely high functioning team. In this season, who knows, maybe you don't have to that high functioning to take it home.

Thing is with the immense amount of talent at our disposal we should be that extremely high functioning team. And we are at times - demolishing Melbourne and Port. We just need all of our cogs to click into gear consistently and we'll be almost unbeatable. Which is scary when you consider we still have Coleman, Doedee, Payne & McCarthy to come back.

Happy to sink the boot into umpires when it suits the agenda, but Swans supporters very quiet when talking about the non-mark by Rayner or the clear front on to Daniher in that last quarter. Margin flattered Swans to be honest. Got dominated apart from a 2nd quarter blitz where Lions didn’t turn up.

Yep the final score did flatter them a bit.

Don’t justify yourself to this Brisbane clowns, they fell over the line against a team with no bench and needed umpiring assistance to do so, let them celebrate their “win”

By next week the narrative will be that Sydney almost won this match without any players on the field! The number of players out of the game Sydney had seem to be growing after the match has ended.

By next week the narrative will be that Sydney almost won this match without any players on the field! The number of players out of the game Sydney had seem to be growing after the match has ended.
Not only that, you had 3 extra players in green! Makes sense you need all the assistance you can get

Not only that, you had 3 extra players in green! Makes sense you need all the assistance you can get

angry u mad GIF by Mayfly

Good luck next week against the Dogs :thumbsu:

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Are Sydney the first team to go a couple of rotations down in a game?

I’ve never heard a couple of injuries spoken about more.

excusefactory

It’s…. Interesting. I figured they wouldn’t be too concerned given they’re still clearly the best performed team this year, and all but certain for top 2. Their slump has them losing a few close games… won’t mean much 6 weeks from now.

Can we be clear though, they lost two players. And one of them was replaced by the sub. That means being one player short on the bench. One.

We played almost the entire last quarter without Harro. That means we were one short on the bench.

Yes they did it for longer as their second injury was earlier, etc etc, but this was in no way some avalanche of injuries of an unfathomable scale.

Do we talk about the additional day of rest they had leading into it? Or that we were coming back from Perth?

There’s a billion inputs that go into any game. Today, they produced an output that was us winning by 2. It is what it is.

I generally thought Swans supporters were pretty reasonable before today. Jesus Christ might be in the top 2 for whinging, salty, excuse making sooks after a loss now I have read this. Reckon all you bitchy Swans fans can suck a fat one. 🥲
Its ****ing bigfooty after a close game, making conclusions on an entire supporter base based on just that is boneheaded

It’s…. Interesting. I figured they wouldn’t be too concerned given they’re still clearly the best performed team this year, and all but certain for top 2. Their slump has them losing a few close games… won’t mean much 6 weeks from now.

Can we be clear though, they lost two players. And one of them was replaced by the sub. That means being one player short on the bench. One.

We played almost the entire last quarter without Harro. That means we were one short on the bench.

Yes they did it for longer as their second injury was earlier, etc etc, but this was in no way some avalanche of injuries of an unfathomable scale.

Do we talk about the additional day of rest they had leading into it? Or that we were coming back from Perth?

There’s a billion inputs that go into any game. Today, they produced an output that was us winning by 2. It is what it is.
All that has to be said.

Hope we play them in the finals and it’s another cracking contest.

I'm a little confused by this no bench notion that Sydney is talking about.

Papley was the only player out of the game, Andrews was on the bench for almost the entire last quarter with HIA.

So both teams had the same amount of players available going into the 4th quarter, I feel like I am missing something but both teams finished with the same rotations as well lmao.

Swans weren't "cooked with injuries", they just ran out of gas after busting hard in the 2nd & 3rd. Nothing wrong with that, as good as the Swans are we're not easy beats and this competition is incredibly tight.

I'm a little confused by this no bench notion that Sydney is talking about.

Papley was the only player out of the game, Andrews was on the bench for almost the entire last quarter with HIA.

So both teams had the same amount of players available going into the 4th quarter, I feel like I am missing something but both teams finished with the same rotations as well lmao.

Swans weren't "cooked with injuries", they just ran out of gas after busting hard in the 2nd & 3rd. Nothing wrong with that, as good as the Swans are we're not easy beats and this competition is incredibly tight.
They definitely had a patch in the 2nd where Papley and Hayward were off at the same time. They had to use their sub early as well for Rampe. Evened up with our best defender off for a large portion of the last quarter.

Definitely worse off in that regard, and same rotations but we would have filtered through more players for more rest I’d assume.

Realistically need someone to review everyone’s TOG to see the stark differences.

They definitely had a patch in the 2nd where Papley and Hayward were off at the same time. They had to use their sub early as well for Rampe. Evened up with our best defender off for a large portion of the last quarter.

Definitely worse off in that regard, and same rotations but we would have filtered through more players for more rest I’d assume.

Realistically need someone to review everyone’s TOG to see the stark differences.
The point of the sub is to have it available at any time, if people want to reach for an excuse such as "we had to activate our sub earlier" that is some high level straw clutching. I actually would have rathered we activated our sub earlier ironically as well.

Hayward must not have been off for long if he finished with 86% ToG, higher than our key back Andrews. I'll definitely give you that their rotations would have been affected in the 2nd & 3rd compared to ours but it didn't seem to have an affect on the game as they were flying.

4th quarter, game on the line and our key back was off for 90% of it due to concussion protocol. Same rotations for both teams, no excuses for either team. Luckily our midfield & forward line stepped up and we dominated control of play that missing Andrews wasn't as big of a deal.

Just finished watching FOX Footy - Fagin and Lyon were guests.

HUGE KUDOS to Fagan - Credited the Lions win in a big way to Swans injuries and the temperature and lack of rotations.

But he’s a sensible man and a good coach - he has to be a realist…….not a trolling fool. 😉

Just finished watching FOX Footy - Fagin and Lyon were guests.

HUGE KUDOS to Fagan - Credited the Lions win in a big way to Swans injuries and the temperature and lack of rotations.

But he’s a sensible man and a good coach - he has to be a realist…….not a trolling fool. 😉
He was being polite Swans only had 1 less player on the bench but Sydney supporters are overvaluing it and using as an excuse for the lose we had only 2 players available against the Suns in round 8 yet we won

Still a long way to go, no assurances but if the Swans are to go deep into September again, they need to start better and not allow opposition teams to get on top of them early and then there is the third quarter slump!! Could have easily put them away in that third quarter but once again we stuffed around and chipped the ball all over the park and crabbed along.

Ive noticed this over the last few weeks, especially after the Adelaide game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy AFL 2024 Round 19 - Lions v Swans Sun July 21st 1:10pm AEST (Gabba)

Back