Autopsy AFL 2024 Second Qualifying Final - Port v Cats Thurs Sept 5th 7:40pm EST/7:10pm CST (AO) - Teams up

Who will win and by how much?

• Port by a goal or less

Votes: 5 2.7%
  • Cats by a goal or less

Votes: 4 2.1%
  • Port by 7 - 20

Votes: 79 42.0%
  • Cats by 7 - 20

Votes: 44 23.4%
  • Port by a lot

Votes: 49 26.1%
  • Cats by a lot

Votes: 5 2.7%
  • Draw

Votes: 2 1.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Geelong supporters are a lot more cocky now than they were after St Kilda humbled them a few weeks ago.

Lucky for them they played Port tonight and not the Saints.

The side we lost to a few weeks ago made the finals last year and were supposed to be a team on the rise.
We finished 12th and were supposed to be slipping to the bottom four.

Now we are in a prelim and you were mathematically out of finals contention over a month before the home and away season finished. Why the f**k wouldn’t we be cocky

It's easy to bronx cheer Dixon, everyone knows he is now shit and shouldn't be playing. But the reason he's shit is largely because his body is shot. There are plenty of guys out there who don't have bodies that are shot, but aren't trying who deserve to cop it more. It might be more directed at Hinkley for playing him, but I still think just bronx cheering the one guy who isn't physically capable of much anymore is letting others off the hook.
Just on Dixon, not his fault as such but just about all the premiership winning teams have a forward who is kicking 50 plus, or a couple in the 40s, and then the smalls & mediums kicking their 20s & 30s. Port have never quite got that mix right with him there, either him not being fit to play a full season and not enough support to kick enough team snags. It might be an arbitrary number but he’s never kicked 50 goals in a year, for a guy his size that’s a bit of a failing. Port seem like they could have won a flag in this Hinkley era but the goal kicking numbers don’t stack up.

Without a Marshall or someone extra like that up forward I was very confident in our chances.

The side we lost to a few weeks ago made the finals last year and were supposed to be a team on the rise.

Now we are in a prelim and you were mathematically out of finals contention over a month before the home and away season finished. Why the f**k wouldn’t we be cocky
It's not even cockiness, it's just the tiniest bit of pride at the side having a crack and doing okay after being written off another 500 times this season. More importantly, a bunch of players in their first final or very close to it, shining on the big stage. It's also nice for our veterans to be playing football matches that actually matter.

If they get thrashed in a prelim so be it - we know that would be like a premiership win for a lot of these demented "neutrals". This year has felt like a free hit but now the lads have a week or two to see if they can pull something really special off. If you get s**t on for not being miserable about that turn of events, then so be it.

Just on Dixon, not his fault as such but just about all the premiership winning teams have a forward who is kicking 50 plus, or a couple in the 40s, and then the smalls & mediums kicking their 20s & 30s. Port have never quite got that mix right with him there, either him not being fit to play a full season and not enough support to kick enough team snags. It might be an arbitrary number but he’s never kicked 50 goals in a year, for a guy his size that’s a bit of a failing. Port seem like they could have won a flag in this Hinkley era but the goal kicking numbers don’t stack up.

Without a Marshall or someone extra like that up forward I was very confident in our chances.

Dixon might have cut it as a ‘good’ player if he was a second forward through his career. But he hasn’t been. He’s been the main target, sharing a forward line either with no one or with players like Westhoff and he’s been, frankly, ordinary.

For a player built like he is, to return the totals he has; if you wanted to extrapolate it out with games and longer quarters he might have gone close in 2020 but he’s kicked 5+ goals 5 times in 9 seasons at Port. That’s not good enough. For context it took Tom Hawkins 31 games to do that once Cameron Mooney retired from Geelong.

In the right forward line he probably could have been a much more effective player and served a really crucial role but I think as it stands he’s going to be remembered as somewhat underwhelming

It's not about you or your irrelevant, pathetic club tonight. We secured top 4 with the win in Perth a week before and then St Kilda had their grand final while they were fighting for 13th.

That loss to St Kilda cost you a home QF but lucky for the Cats you got to play Port in a QF who are serial chokers in home finals.

We got a harder draw than Geelong due to playing finals last year and we don't have the home ground advantage Geelong has.

We also had more injuries than Geelong earlier in the season, we got our act together later on in the season but it was too late.

Last edited:
It's not even cockiness, it's just the tiniest bit of pride at the side having a crack and doing okay after being written off another 500 times this season. More importantly, a bunch of players in their first final or very close to it, shining on the big stage. It's also nice for our veterans to be playing football matches that actually matter.

If they get thrashed in a prelim so be it - we know that would be like a premiership win for a lot of these demented "neutrals". This year has felt like a free hit but now the lads have a week or two to see if they can pull something really special off. If you get s**t on for not being miserable about that turn of events, then so be it.

10000 per cent.

I genuinely don’t give two f**ks what happens from here

The door is now ajar to sneak a flag if things fall our way but we are still outsiders as far as I’m concerned but we’ve overachieved and done what nobody thought we could do and rubbed a lot of people’s faces in it so stiff shit I’m going to enjoy it like I would if one of our much more fancied sides made a grand final

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That loss to St Kilda cost you a home qualifying final but lucky for you played Port in a QF who are serial chockers in home finals.

We got a harder draw than Geelong due to playing finals last year and we don't have the home ground advantage Geelong has.

We also had more injuries than Geelong earlier in the season, we got our act together later on in the season but it was too late.
We don't even play any finals at our home ground. A road warrior finals win meant I am grateful we threw in the white towel against St Kilda in a dead rubber.

I'm glad you got a joyous day out of the season anyway, but it meant nothing to us. You need to be there at the business end for any of it to matter. St Kilda haven't really ventured there since 2010.

All the excuses in the world don't cover up that barren 14 year run. But enough about St Kilda. Geelong were very good tonight. That's the story.

That loss to St Kilda cost you a home qualifying final but lucky for you played Port in a QF who are serial chockers in home finals.

We also had more injuries than Geelong earlier in the season, we got our act together later in the season but it was too late.

Boo f**king hoo. Those 13, including 6 consecutive games at Docklands really must have been a punish for you. 1 extra game against finalists: wow, if that didn’t happen I’m sure you’d be pressing for a premiership like all 11-12 sides do.

I guess when we didn’t have Dangerfield, or when we only played 9 games at home, or when Cam Guthrie never played at all, that just didn’t happen.

Christ you love an excuse

We don't even play any finals at our home ground. A road warrior finals win meant I am grateful we threw in the white towel against St Kilda in a dead rubber.

I'm glad you got a joyous day out of the season anyway, but it meant nothing to us. You need to be there at the business end for any of it to matter. St Kilda haven't really ventured there since 2010.

All the excuses in the world don't cover up that barren 14 year run. But enough about St Kilda. Geelong were very good tonight. That's the story.
Give it a fews more years and you can use this for stkilda
Its Been A Long Time Waiting GIF

We played finals last year unlike Geelong but we ran into a red hot GWS team that also beat Port and almost beat Collingwood.

You better hope that Geelong doesn't run into a red hot GWS team in your prelim as they are much more capable of beating you.

Gee, I daresay WCE did better at GHMBA stadium in round 24 than Port did tonight at home, considering their respective ladder finishes.

Still, anyone expecting anything different would have to have rocks in their head.
Well like me, #Port Patriot# and GoldbergsGold agreed before the match - West Coast in that second half gave Geelong a perfect tune up for finals football. They gave it a good show as the game went on, which is more than Port could say

We played finals last year unlike Geelong but we ran into a red hot GWS team that also beat Port and almost beat Collingwood.

You better hope that Geelong doesn't run into a red hot GWS team in your prelim as they are much more capable of beating you.
Sorry, getting spanked in an elimination final by an interstate side playing a million miles from home isn't going deep.

Don't worry about the Cats too much Plugger Little. Any team is capable of beating Geelong in the prelim. There's no bravado about our future prospects from me. Just happy to be there.

Yup.

You’ve got a big bank of recent finals excellence to be proud of.

Yup.

You’ve got a big bank of recent finals excellence to be proud of.

Credit to Geelong for their recent finals excellence but we don't get the genuine home ground advantage that Geelong gets.

We also haven't had the luck of getting great father son picks or getting players like Dangerfield and Cameron coming home.

Geelong are a well run club but don't act like you don't get some favours that other clubs don't get.

Credit to Geelong for their recent finals excellence but we don't get the genuine home ground advantage that Geelong gets.

We also haven't had the luck of getting great father son picks or getting players like Dangerfield and Cameron coming home.

Geelong are a well run club but don't act like you don't get some favours that other clubs don't get.
Your 2009 team was filled with high draft picks and still couldn’t win it even with that advantage …stop your sooking it’s embarrassing

1. Where else should the Geelong Cats play? Almost like Geelong is in Geelong?

2. You’ve had plenty of free agents. There’s more to it than just picking up good players.
Talent Evaluation and development plays a huge part too…like how you ignored some of the greatest players we ever had who were drafted and developed by Geelong.

3. As opposed to the billion high draft picks you’ve had? We’ve had like 3 top 10 picks in 20 years.
If you can’t find guys outside the top 10, that’s a skill issue.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy AFL 2024 Second Qualifying Final - Port v Cats Thurs Sept 5th 7:40pm EST/7:10pm CST (AO) - Teams up

Back