AFL @ Adelaide's Oval - That time is now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Interesting that they still never finished that last bay of seats between the Western stand and the hill. The virtual venue shows a whole extra bay of seats where the access driveway is. I still fear that this will create an access issue in/out of that stand.

But - who cares - I can't wait to be there tomorrow!

That was a bay but it was ripped up so that the machine that puts the drop in pitches and replaces it with drop in normal turf can drive onto the ground. you can't put seats back there because that is the only easy access area that is needed every 6 months. The gap between western and Riverbank stands and Riverbank and eastern stands is now full with seats.

There are steps up makeshift moveable steps to the western stand in that gap but they have a gate that locks the exit away during a cricket or footy game. It wont cause that much of an issue because if you are against the stand edge, you just have to go right rather than left at the bottom of the stand.

However they may open up the gate at the end of a game to help allow people turn left out of the western stand. IIRC it was open at the end of the day for the Test but locked up for 3 shield games I went to. I definitely used it one day during the cricket.

Just as big as all the other AFL posts :p 15m and 10m :)
I know this :p
They look a lot bigger against the backdrop of the stands, and sometimes forget how big the posts are in AFL now after the post extensions they received..
I also never see them up close, seats were closer to the wing at AAMI..

I may have also been a tad excited at what I was seeing of Tex.. :D

No thongs?

Geez that's 3/4 of the Power female supporters over the age of 40 - I was so keen to see the g-bangers hanging out of the black shimmering lycra as they yell abuse at anyone within five metres and their tattooed muffin tops wobble to the rhythm.

From what I have heard about Phone coverage, it is going to be that bad that we will lucky to make phone calls let alone be able to access the internet! The SMA are working with Telstra and have said they have improved it since the ASHES but I think for this season it will be as bad as Footy Park (when there were crowds of 35,000 plus no internet and 45,000 plus virtually impossible to make phone calls)

Yay! No checking of dream team scores then!!
I'm with Telstra and I really didn't have many problems at the ashes. Was able to text and use the net a little during breaks. Maybe I was lucky? Obviously 50k is a big difference in crowd size. Even so I was able at times to watch other afl games from the foxtel app while waiting at footy park.

Nicholls is fine as long as it's not Adelaide vs Hawthorn or Adelaide vs Geelong.
No McInerney is good.

Too bad we got the other one of the horrendous trio in Schmidt :(

btw. Just thinking then, hitthepost might know. Will the tips of the Northern Goal posts get painted a different colour at the tip? I believe they do that at Launceston and maybe Manuka for some reason as the stand behind it isn't that high or something.

Edit: Like this; The red tips:
474568_361471717209560_746836128_o.jpg

Just detoured down to AO for my first time in a year on my way home from the reserves game. Looks stunning, has to be the most attractive sadium in Australia, I hope they continue to leave it lit up at night.

There is a whole new feeling in the city, I've overheard several people say it feels like Melbourne and I have to agree, going to football is going to become an occasion, an event, I can't wait until tomorrow.

One minor thing but I do like how on that this is footy graphic on the window near the southern gates our corner is right on the entrance gate then there is the SANFL part then Ports is tucked around the corner not to be seen when coming over the bridge and straight in, just a nod to the entrance near our buildings at AAMI haha.

There was an event on but still so many people just wandering over at this time for a look.

After saying there will be wi-fi at the stadium, there is no wi-fi..
AFC were asked about it on twitter and said there's no wi-fi..

Adelaide Oval website also have a statement about being patient with phone connectivity and congestion due to a big crowd using data..
That slipped through quietly..
Guarantee you a politician said there would be WiFi without consulting anyone with an IT background. Catering for 55k people in such a condensed place would be an absolute nightmare. The best WiFi access points can only service maybe 100 people at a time and that's a big maybe. So you'd need to create a mesh of 550 to 700 access points covering the entire stadium area taking into account congregation points of users, etc. Their best bet is working with Telstra to install localized mobile towers probably on the stadium themselves. Let us know how it goes tomorrow though :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Guarantee you a politician said there would be WiFi without consulting anyone with an IT background. Catering for 55k people in such a condensed place would be an absolute nightmare. The best WiFi access points can only service maybe 100 people at a time and that's a big maybe. So you'd need to create a mesh of 550 to 700 access points covering the entire stadium area taking into account congregation points of users, etc. Their best bet is working with Telstra to install localized mobile towers probably on the stadium themselves. Let us know how it goes tomorrow though :)
Usually (test cricket) there's a mobile tower in the northern car park. Didn't see one on Thursday though.

I don't know how much it cost them but ANZ Stadium in Sydney had just this year installed free wifi for the whole stadium, and I caters for up to 84000 people in the ground. So it can be done, Im sure its not cheap though.

Nicholls is fine as long as it's not Adelaide vs Hawthorn or Adelaide vs Geelong.
No McInerney is good.

Too bad we got the other one of the horrendous trio in Schmidt :(

btw. Just thinking then, hitthepost might know. Will the tips of the Northern Goal posts get painted a different colour at the tip? I believe they do that at Launceston and maybe Manuka for some reason as the stand behind it isn't that high or something.

Edit: Like this; The red tips:
474568_361471717209560_746836128_o.jpg
Nahh bugger that. Never understood why they needed them at the MCG during the redevelopment. They put them on because there was no stand behind the posts. Soft. They'd don't have them at Manuka. At Aurora it's not a bad idea as there are flagpoles on top of the stands, and they're the same height as the posts (unlike AAMI where, from kicking range, they're higher).
Never understood the need in any case except Launceston.

Is anything named after Andrew McLeod?
I think the viewing area for the Adelaide/Port pre-match warmup area is named after McLeod for Crow home games.

But I might be wrong on that one.

Edit:
http://www.sanfl.com.au/news/sanfl_news/2259/
John Cahill (Port Adelaide premiership player and coach, Australian Football Hall of Fame inductee)
Andrew McLeod (Dual Adelaide Football Club premiership player, duel Norm Smith Medallist, member of the Indigenous Team of the Century) - The John Cahill & Andrew McLeod Room in the Southern Stand will offer views of the AFC and PAFC warm up areas
http://www.sanfl.com.au/news/sanfl_news/2259/

SA Police News
Yesterday · Edited.The AFL season starts tomorrow, Saturday, 29 March at the Adelaide Oval. Police remind all football supporters that there will be a highly visible police presence at and around the Adelaide Oval during AFL football games. Disorderly and ...anti-social behaviour will not be tolerated, so if you act up, expect to be evicted and fined. Don't ruin your day or anyone else's with anti-social behaviour.

Police advise that traffic conditions around the Oval will be significantly altered for several hours before and after the game. Drivers need to watch out for the many pedestrians around the area. There will be temporary road closures, as well as reduced speed zones. Please visit here for all the details:
http://www.adelaideoval.com.au/venues/getting-there.aspx

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL @ Adelaide's Oval - That time is now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back