AFL @ Adelaide's Oval - That time is now.

Remove this Banner Ad

what was aami's fences like (cant remember) pretty sure they will have cameras on all parts of the ground not just on the western side.
Yeah but the standard view will be from the western media centre (like game play) AAMI only had it on one side as well but the AO boards extend a bit further

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-03-27/three-years-of-meetings-back-room-conversations-and-politics

Former South Australian treasurer Kevin Foley was a key driver of the redevelopment and said he thoroughly enjoyed the experience of working with the soon-to-depart AFL boss.

"When I got down in the blues, he would tell me to keep the faith, and as a non-practising Catholic, I took that on board and kept the faith," he said.

"The extraordinary thing was that Andrew never doubted he could convince the football people. The Adelaide Crows are very much a part of the establishment in this city and I had a lot of senior Crows officials pressing me not to proceed."

Um... say what?

The Crows officials were backing the Liberal proposal of a new stadium with a roof. They were happy to move but had there feet in a different camp.

There was a quote from Demetriou stating the same.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport...at-adelaide-oval/story-fnia3v71-1226862774219

What their actual stance was is anyones guess. Did they want to remain at West Lakes? Did they see a shiny new stadium near the city as the preferable option?

I'm mildly surprised that the crows opinion on the redevelopment is being made public like it's everyone's business.

Yes the Crows wanted the new stadium. They mentioned this at one of the AGM's but not something made public.

what was aami's fences like (cant remember) pretty sure they will have cameras on all parts of the ground not just on the western side.
AAMI only had electronic signs on the Eastern side..
Yeah cameras will be all around as they were at AAMI, but they only show a few shots now and then..
The whole main game coverage is from the Western stand which means the Western fence is barely seen, so they wouldn't bother with the electronic signage.. It probably also gives them a way to make more money because they can have the LED around half the stadium, while making money from static signage at the same time..

The static fences have an estimated media value of $10 000 for 10 metres across 11 home games..
LED fence is approximately $20 000 for 1 minute across 11 home games..

There is static signage on Level 4 of the South and East stands, heritage scoreboard and ground level of the Western Stand..
LED is ground level and Level 3 of South and East stands..

AAMI only had electronic signs on the Eastern side..
Yeah cameras will be all around as they were at AAMI, but they only show a few shots now and then..
The whole main game coverage is from the Western stand which means the Western fence is barely seen, so they wouldn't bother with the electronic signage.. It probably also gives them a way to make more money because they can have the LED around half the stadium, while making money from static signage at the same time..

The static fences have an estimated media value of $10 000 for 10 metres across 11 home games..
LED fence is approximately $20 000 for 1 minute across 11 home games..

There is static signage on Level 4 of the South and East stands, heritage scoreboard and ground level of the Western Stand..
LED is ground level and Level 3 of South and East stands..
I hate the electronic signs at ground level, watching the game tonight, the printed/rolling signs are better, less distracting, but i guess that what sponsors like.

I hate the electronic signs at ground level, watching the game tonight, the printed/rolling signs are better, less distracting, but i guess that what sponsors like.
Yeah in terms of watching live at the game, I didn't have to look into the LED signs from where I sat..
But others complained about losing the play in those signs flashing all over the place..
I could see that happening.. I'll probably be complaining about it this year :D

They look funny too when one section moves and another doesn't and you get

HERALD SUN HERALOYTA TOYOTA TOYALD SUN

along the fence.

Having sat in the Members the in 2012/13, the electronic signage isn't that distracting.

Anyone that complains that it's too bright or distracting isn't concentrating on the game - I think you find it's the knitters that complain about the signage anyway.

Also, I noticed that Daktronics, which has done alot of electronic signage in US stadia, did the electronic signage at Adelaide Oval, so it should be some of the best signage in the country. Also, I noticed on the news when they were testing it they were testing some of the crowd involvement signage (think it was 'make some noise'), so there may not always be used for advertising (would be cool if they had graphics for goals similar to what you see in the US).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I presume the lights may be turned on during the game?

It would be a bit farcical if the game concluded and it was dark.
Well it is a TWILIGHT fixture...will be more a "late afternoon" fixture with daylight saving, but still.
To minimise the contrast between shadow and sunlight the lights usually go on in the last quarter of games starting after 3pm in winter. I'd assume a 4:15 autumn game will have the same.

Well it is a TWILIGHT fixture...will be more a "late afternoon" fixture with daylight saving, but still.
To minimise the contrast between shadow and sunlight the lights usually go on in the last quarter of games starting after 3pm in winter. I'd assume a 4:15 autumn game will have the same.

Yes I know the timing lol, Im going but I am assuming that the lights will be turned on early. The last thing we would want is a situation of the game ending in darkness ( probably given the weather it will still be fairly ok) due to the lights.

Yes I know the timing lol, Im going but I am assuming that the lights will be turned on early. The last thing we would want is a situation of the game ending in darkness ( probably given the weather it will still be fairly ok) due to the lights.

If port win it will be a very dark day indeed!

That's what I was getting at :)
With the game starting at 4:15, by 3/4 time there'll be a lot of shadow. It won't be dark by any means but generally the lights are turned on "early", not so the players or spectators can see, but so the TV can "see".
At Day/Night ODIs, the lights go on about the dinner break (6.30ish) even though it's blindingly bright looking west, to help the cameras between shadow and sunlight.

They will probably have the lights on from half time to cover the shaded areas of the western stand rven though the sun won't cover the whole playing surface until close to full time as the sun doesn't ho down until 7:15 on Saturday.

I hope they don't but I bet they will use yellow balls from the start of the game as the AFL don't allow changing from red to yellow halfway through a game.

Im surprised that port aren't using it as they sre all about 'history' (apparently), hopefully we won't use it after the first game as it really is pointless using it.

Most people in the top deck of the eastern stand will not be able to see it at all, as the seats are two storeys above the scoreboard. I also found it hard to read/see it at the cricket when I was 3/4 up the top of the riverbank stand. It was very hard to see it at night and at dusk too.

There will be three brilliant screens which will have the scores on them all the time. If you haven't already been to AO the screens will knock your socks off, you can't compare them to FP either in size (the main one is actually bigger than the old scoreboard! ) or what they can do.

But.. but.. we're coming home.. It's all about the history and tradition..
We won "over 42 Premierships" there

2434434936_promo215598833.jpeg

I wish that at the start of the project that the scoreboard had been moved to Adelaide oval no.2 so that the Eastern stand could have been extended to where the scoreboard finishes now. This would raise capacity to about 58,000 and also allow us and Port to grow/expand our member numbers, as I can see maybe next year us having to start a waiting list for new members as there willebe no seats for them and port may have start one in a few years too.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL @ Adelaide's Oval - That time is now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back