Game Day AFL Preliminary Final - Matchday Discussion GWS@Collingwood(MCG – 4:35PM)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking at our team in comparison to the Giants outs has helped to manage my expectations. Despite the media hysteria we are not significantly better placed in terms of personnel.

The absent De Goey cancels out Greene.

Cox missing is a major structural issue. Langdon and Greenwood out is a blow to defensive cohesiveness.

Then we have the following with major questions or risk attached:
Reid (fragile and not played in months)
Aish (not played in months and never a clear best 22 player)
Moore (hamstring still a concern)
Elliott (hamstring still a concern)

Noble (only in the league since mid year. Has never had an AFL pre season)
Wills (VFL level player with no offensive game)

With Wills and Noble we may just have the two "worst" players in this finals series. Both are a major risk. Wills with no offensive game and a major fumble, silly free against risk. Noble without an AFL pre season and with a risk taking mentality. He made many mistakes early against Geelong, it was only luck that they did not cost us a few goals.

These risks and other outs puts us close to equivalency with the Giants for personnel going into this game. We are only better off if our fingers crossed selections pay off. Their major out is Whitfield, the rest are cogs that don't cause significant structural issues.

That said we've been building form and fitness for over a month now, as have the Giants. Both teams are in a good position to strongly attack this Prelim. The recency of the Whitfield out and the fact we are playing at home gives us the edge, but I have no doubt it will be a tough contest. Pies to bring it home by 16 points.

Whitfield only major out, Greene not significat? Wills the wrost player in the final series? He's a contested beast and very underrated. Very important to this current side. Watch how he busts packs open tackles, and keeps the ball in closely today. Noble has done OK. If he stuff up he can be replaced. And injuries we get we do what Richmond did last night, they play out the game with a jab.

Ward has been out all year though. Like with Richmond and Rance, you can work to adjust for such long term outs.

Coniglio and Whitfield are big outs (Greene = JDG). Combined with our outs (Cox, Greenwood, Langdon, Beams) and risks I listed though there is not much in it (notice I haven't included Dunn or Wells here. Like Ward they've not been available all year).
Langdon and beams and even cox have been out for so long, i think we have adjusted to not having them in the side

Looking at our team in comparison to the Giants outs has helped to manage my expectations. Despite the media hysteria we are not significantly better placed in terms of personnel.

The absent De Goey cancels out Greene.

Cox missing is a major structural issue. Langdon and Greenwood out is a blow to defensive cohesiveness.

Then we have the following with major questions or risk attached:
Reid (fragile and not played in months)
Aish (not played in months and never a clear best 22 player)
Moore (hamstring still a concern)
Elliott (hamstring still a concern)

Noble (only in the league since mid year. Has never had an AFL pre season)
Wills (VFL level player with no offensive game)

With Wills and Noble we may just have the two "worst" players in this finals series. Both are a major risk. Wills with no offensive game and a major fumble, silly free against risk. Noble without an AFL pre season and with a risk taking mentality. He made many mistakes early against Geelong, it was only luck that they did not cost us a few goals.

These risks and other outs puts us close to equivalency with the Giants for personnel going into this game. We are only better off if our fingers crossed selections pay off. Their major out is Whitfield, the rest are cogs that don't cause significant structural issues.

That said we've been building form and fitness for over a month now, as have the Giants. Both teams are in a good position to strongly attack this Prelim. The recency of the Whitfield out and the fact we are playing at home gives us the edge, but I have no doubt it will be a tough contest. Pies to bring it home by 16 points.
Wills a worst player in the finals series???

FMD GET A CLUE MAN.

That boy is MADE for finals - every time he contests the ball opponents get hurt, that boy is a genuine steamroller and there is no bigger asset any team can have in their midfield in a final.

KEEERIST!!! . . Some mothers do have em.

Langdon and beams and even cox have been out for so long, i think we have adjusted to not having them in the side
Agreed, except for Cox. Same as Coniglio and Ward for them.

Greene and Whitfield out are major blows. With Whitfield the more difficult to cover.

I am concerned about Reid, Aish, Wills and Noble though. Then there's our injury risks in Moore and Elliott. I'm not close enough to the Giants to know if they have similar problems.

All 3 are well covered as we have good depth. Langdon is probably the one injury that we did not need. Wills is arguably a better inclusion with his tackling ferocity. I don't see a weakness in our side.

Ward has been out all year though. Like with Richmond and Rance, you can work to adjust for such long term outs.

Coniglio and Whitfield are big outs (Greene = JDG). Combined with our outs (Cox, Greenwood, Langdon, Beams) and risks I listed though there is not much in it (notice I haven't included Dunn or Wells here. Like Ward they've not been available all year).
I'd put Beams in the same category as Ward. Which leaves Coniglio and Whitfield for Cox, Greenwood and Langdon (who could also be put in the out for ages category). If that's even, I say we get the trades done ASAP. Cox and Greenwood out for Aish and Reid barely weakens the team at all.

Whitfield only major out, Greene not significat? Wills the wrost player in the final series? He's a contested beast and very underrated. Very important to this current side. Watch how he busts packs open tackles, and keeps the ball in closely today. Noble has done OK. If he stuff up he can be replaced. And injuries we get we do what Richmond did last night, they play out the game with a jab.
Haven't lost a game this year with Rupe in the side. GWS haven't won with the Grub and the appendix out. Surely...

Would you go as far as to say we would be out numbering the giants fans at this stage ?

I wouldn't go so far as that, my station might be over representative of Collingwood supporters. Will provide update estimates.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Greene is definitely a significant out. Whitfield their number one out I meant and most important structurally as he underpins their ball movement.

"Worst" was in quotes for a reason. Both Noble and Wills are players with little AFL experience. The former was not in the league till mid year. Wills looked like he'd never play again after his poor first game this season. They are both players you'd have doubts about in a major final. They are "worst" in terms of what we know about them as AFL players. Noble because he is young and has little experience. Wills because he has few strings to his bow.

Wills is a limited player. He can tackle and provide some strength in the contest, but he won't do much else. His career outside of these finals is not likely to amount to much. What we hope is that he can play a role and help to cover for the players that are missing. There aren't many/any top teams that would give up a centre square spot to a player like Wills who offers almost nothing offensively. Ask the question which other top 4 team would find a spot for Wills or Noble? The answer is none. Most if not all teams in the 8 would not include them. They are playing for us under special circumstances.

Greene is definitely a significant out. Whitfield their number one out I meant and most important structurally as he underpins their ball movement.

"Worst" was in quotes for a reason. Both Noble and Wills are players with little AFL experience. The former was not in the league till mid year. Wills looked like he'd never play again after his poor first game this season. They are both players you'd have doubts about in a major final. They are "worst" in terms of what we know about them as AFL players. Noble because he is young and has little experience. Wills because he has few strings to his bow.

Wills is a limited player. He can tackle and provide some strength in the contest, but he won't do much else. His career outside of these finals is not likely to amount to much. What we hope is that he can play a role and help to cover for the players that are missing. There aren't many/any top teams that would give up a centre square spot to a player like Wills who offers almost nothing offensively. Ask the question which other top 4 team would find a spot for Wills or Noble? The answer is none. Most if not all teams in the 8 would not include them. They are playing for us under special circumstances.
Well, Geelong were playing Narkle at the Center bounces... give me Wills in there over him

At the train station, awaiting the plebeian convoy. Lots of people wearing black and white, I'm taking that as a good omen.
Also on train.

Not seen one giant.

You plan for a few different scenarios
Reid / Mihocek
Elliott / Stephenson / Hoskin-Elliott
Thomas/ Brown

Grundy
Pendlebury / Treloar
Adams/ Wills
Sidebottom / Phillips
Mayne

Moore/ Roughead
Howe / Crisp / Maynard
Noble / Aish

That’s a beautifully balanced side for multiple scenarios.

I'd put Beams in the same category as Ward. Which leaves Coniglio and Whitfield for Cox, Greenwood and Langdon (who could also be put in the out for ages category). If that's even, I say we get the trades done ASAP. Cox and Greenwood out for Aish and Reid barely weakens the team at all.
We agree then, that's how I see it. Coniglio and Whitfield matched against Cox, Greenwood, Langdon and our list of 7 players who are a major risk to play in a final. Whether it's in our favour or theirs depends on how our "fingers crossed" selections go.

I don't know the Giants players well enough to list the selected players that are risks for them. That may make a difference.

Keep back pedaling its most amusing.

Wills is a quality hard inside mid and no amount of bleating about his lack of experience is going to cover the seemingly obvious bias you have against him.

Be a man and admit it.

I'll see your Wills and raise you a Lachlan Keeffe or even a Shane Mumford. All teams have guys playing who wouldn't get a gig in other teams. There are roles that need filling and you pick the best player that you have to play that role.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back