Preview AFL Preliminary Final - Pies vs Hawks - Prematch Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thing that sucks is that the Hawks are going to press us either way, and Geelong will likely cruise through their prelim regardless of who they play.

Thing that sucks is that the Hawks are going to press us either way, and Geelong will likely cruise through their prelim regardless of who they play.

I think that both Carlton and West Coast could really push the Cats if they have a good night.

The Hawks played exactly the same way against Sydney as they did against us the first time round.

Massive numbers/flood around the Swans forwards so they are not left exposed against taller opponents and then try and fast break/pinpoint their way forward.

Where Swans ****ed it all up, was they allowed Buddy the forward 50 to himself one out and kicked it over the top more often than not for him to run onto. This won't happen against us. Either Reid or Maxwell will peel off at all times, particularly as you can guarantee the Hawks will swarm our talls in Cloke/Dawes/Brown at every minute of the game otherwise they'll be slaughtered.

We should progress to the GF but like any final, anything can happen so respect must be shown to the opposition.

I think we should win quite comfortably...

Having said that, the real worry is Jolly. I'm Collingwood through and through, but Jolly is the most overrated player in the league.... and L Brown isn't much chop in the ruck either. We will definately have to rely on our midfielders to rove off their ruckmen, and hope Jolly and Brown can restrict their opponents Marks and Possessions around the ground.

Having said that, the real worry is Jolly. I'm Collingwood through and through, but Jolly is the most overrated player in the league.... and L Brown isn't much chop in the ruck either. We will definately have to rely on our midfielders to rove off their ruckmen, and hope Jolly and Brown can restrict their opponents Marks and Possessions around the ground.

Jolly was good in the ruck last week, he dominated the stoppages around the ground [outside the centre square] after half time.

But he's not overrated, just horribly out of form after a tough run with injuries. At his best he is superb. Same can be said about Didak at the minute.

IMO Malthouse will say;
"play exactly the same way you played against the eagles".

Eagles are the #1 ranked clearance team in the league. We had 22 more clearances than them last week.
If we get the clearances, with a full side, we should not lose. Daisy, bally and swanny will need to get in and under, body on the line.

Hawks on what they've been putting up lately will be a walkover. If they're going to try this extra man in defense in all game they won't score against us.
Buddy can hang out the back all he wants they're not going to get passed the front door.

Expecting Clarko to try one or 2 out of the box match-ups because they don't have a chance in hell trying to go head to head. And thinking about it, there's nothing they can pull that would change anything.
Warm up match for the GF

Jolly had 43% of his hitouts go to advantage against WC. Sure he's not going to win the tap in the centre circle against Naitanui who can outjump any ruckman including Sandilands, but at stoppages and throw ins he definitely dominated with his physicality and presence.

http://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/newsfeatures/news/newsarticle/tabid/5586/newsid/123224/default.aspx

A large part to the clearance success was due to Jolly’s work in the ruck. He accumulated 23 hitouts with 10 going to the advantage of a teammate (43.5 per cent).

The highly rated Nic Naitanui recorded 10 more hitouts in the ruck (33 total) but managed only four to advantage, a 12.1 per cent success rate.

Jolly had 43% of his hitouts go to advantage against WC. Sure he's not going to win the tap in the centre circle against Naitanui who can outjump any ruckman including Sandilands, but at stoppages and throw ins he definitely dominated with his physicality and presence.

http://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/newsfeatures/news/newsarticle/tabid/5586/newsid/123224/default.aspx

Yes, Jolly is under estimated in his hard word & effectivness.
Another case of Quality over Quantity. No point getting 50 hit outs if most of them are not effective.

Collingwood will deservedly be favourites, and it would be a huge upset if Hawks win.

Although, their recent form hasn't been as good as it was this time last year IMO. They were not as polished against the Eagles in the QF, and their last 2-3 h&a matches weren't very polished.

Hawks have a good winning ratio against Pies over the past 5 meetings.

And Round 15 this year, we were missing Sewell, Rioli, Lewis from the engine room, and Buddy was almost non-existent with just 1 goal and very limited opportunities.

I believe the midfield will hold the key in this match. If we can break even in the clearances, then it will be anyones game!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Collingwood will deservedly be favourites, and it would be a huge upset if Hawks win.

Although, their recent form hasn't been as good as it was this time last year IMO. They were not as polished against the Eagles in the QF, and their last 2-3 h&a matches weren't very polished.

I GIVE YOU MR. POLISH.:):thumbsu: (Who just happens to have missed our last 2 games;)).

DaleThomas.jpg

Add Ben Reid, who also missed the first final, and you have a Collingwood side that will improve by 20%, and have the fresher legs.:D

this is exactly what everyone said ahead of the prelims last year - we were apparently going to have the fight of our life on our hands v the cats, while the saints were supposedly going to cruise through v the underdone and depleted dogs. and we all know how that worked out

mark my words - we will be starting to plan our grand final week during the half time break while geel will have to fight to the death against whoever they play, and might not even get over the line if they play carlton

this is exactly what everyone said ahead of the prelims last year - we were apparently going to have the fight of our life on our hands v the cats, while the saints were supposedly going to cruise through v the underdone and depleted dogs. and we all know how that worked out

mark my words - we will be starting to plan our grand final week during the half time break while geel will have to fight to the death against whoever they play, and might not even get over the line if they play carlton

They might not get over west coast either. both played very well against them this year.

I gotta feeling collingwood is going to come out breathing fire and get out to a very comfortable lead by half time. I have no doubt in that. however hawthorn will not go down without a fight. I doubt whether we will be in as good a position as last year against the cats at half time. but a 6 - 8 goal lead is to expected

IMO Malthouse will say;
"play exactly the same way you played against the eagles".

Eagles are the #1 ranked clearance team in the league. We had 22 more clearances than them last week.
If we get the clearances, with a full side, we should not lose. Daisy, bally and swanny will need to get in and under, body on the line.

Nicco - the Swans are number 1 according to the AFL stats site - we are 2nd, just ahead of Blues and Eagles 4th. Hawks are 8th - they lost the clearances last night also - in the end lack of disposal efficiency/class killed the Swans.
We lead the league for contested possession just from the Swans - Hawks mid table there also.
http://www.afl.com.au/stats/tabid/7...=2011&roundid=0&fixtureid=0&teamid=0&playerid

I am looking forward to our most intense performance to date in regards to tackling and implementation of the press. The Hawks will be telling themselves that we are vulnerable and below our best, that they now have close to their best 22 on the park, so they'll come in pretty confident, especially seeing Buddy played out the game pretty well last night.

Nicco - the Swans are number 1 according to the AFL stats site - we are 2nd, just ahead of Blues and Eagles 4th. Hawks are 8th - they lost the clearances last night also - in the end lack of disposal efficiency/class killed the Swans.
We lead the league for contested possession just from the Swans - Hawks mid table there also.
http://www.afl.com.au/stats/tabid/7...=2011&roundid=0&fixtureid=0&teamid=0&playerid

The trouble with these numbers is that Sydney's style means there are far more bounces/throw-ins in Swans games than any other. Adjusted for style, and expressed as % of clearances won, the numbers for the 5 teams you mentioned (+ Geelong) are:

Collingwood - 52.3%
Carlton - 51.3%
Sydney - 49.4%
West Coast - 48.8%
Hawthorn - 48.3%
(Geelong - 46.5%)

To be honest though, the differences are pretty insignificant and I'm not sure there's a heap of correlation between clearances and success. Quality of clearances is much more important than the raw numbers, which tend to be pretty even between all teams.

He's over-rated by some, he's a solid ruckman but not much else IMO, definately a step up from any other Pies ruck since Monkey.

One thing I'm worried about with playing Hawthorn; if we look like running away with the game they have players who can play dirty to try and change the game. The last thing we'd want going into the GF is an injury or suspension from retaliating.

He's over-rated by some, he's a solid ruckman but not much else IMO, definately a step up from any other Pies ruck since Monkey.

Not unlike hawthorn in some respects. Bailey is probably our best since Everitt. We've been weak in the ruck for a long time, beside the Everitt and Salmon trades. Rucks aren't the most importnat players until you have a good side around them, once they are in a good side they can make a huge difference. Ottens destroyed us in the QF. Bailey v Jolly could be an important matchup.

The battle of the Extractors will be worth watching as well, Ball v Mitchell. I'm going to be at the game which is a real treat as an interstate supporter. Should be a great game between two powerhouse clubs.

Pies will basically be at their strongest for 2011 on Friday.... almost at full strength (IMO N.Brown and Macaffer would be in the best 22 if fit).

Thomas in will be massive, Hawthorn dont have anybody who can match him for endurance, speed, ball winning ability and desire.

Harry to be given the job on Cyril

Reid can take Hale when he is forward, and Max (who was great against WC) will peel off and help Taz handle buddy.

The Hawks play a boring brand of footy, they will flood back to help out Gibson, Stratton, Schoenmakers et al so dont expect too much from Cloke or Dawes....but it will be the smalls that should get the spoils, guys like Krak, Beams, Blair, Sidey and Dids should clean up.

S.Mitchell is only worry IMO, if he gets on top in the middle (which he has done often in the past against us) the Hawks may be a chance....step up L.Ball, will back Ball to nullify Slug Mitchell and we should be too strong

Wouldn't surprise to see WC give Geelong a real shake too

Not unlike hawthorn in some respects. Bailey is probably our best since Everitt. We've been weak in the ruck for a long time, beside the Everitt and Salmon trades. Rucks aren't the most importnat players until you have a good side around them, once they are in a good side they can make a huge difference. Ottens destroyed us in the QF. Bailey v Jolly could be an important matchup.

The battle of the Extractors will be worth watching as well, Ball v Mitchell. I'm going to be at the game which is a real treat as an interstate supporter. Should be a great game between two powerhouse clubs.

Mate, we've had on average the worst ruckmen over the last 20 yrs or so in the history of the sport, i love Mick, but my little football brain kept telling me if you want to play around the boundry you're going to contribute to a hell of a lot of throw ins, and, if that was your game plan you would think a talented ruckman wouldve been invaluble, Mick didn't think so, IMO it cost us 2 flags minimum, we wouldve won the 02 flag with a decent ruck and we wouldve won the 07 flag with a decent ruck, Mick knows this now, bit late though.

Mate, we've had on average the worst ruckmen over the last 20 yrs or so in the history of the sport, i love Mick, but my little football brain kept telling me if you want to play around the boundry you're going to contribute to a hell of a lot of throw ins, and, if that was your game plan you would think a talented ruckman wouldve been invaluble, Mick didn't think so, IMO it cost us 2 flags minimum, we wouldve won the 02 flag with a decent ruck and we wouldve won the 07 flag with a decent ruck, Mick knows this now, bit late though.
I'm not sure you're right about Mick because apart from going after an established ruckman earlier (and we might have tried but not got any) I'm not sure what else he could have done. Look at how many ruckman we traded for, drafted etc, we tried a hell of a lot of players out. It's just unfortunate all of them were spuds/not up to standard, and that could have been a development thing, or just down to the recruiters. But over the time Mick has been at the club we've probably gone through 10 ruckmen/pinch hitters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back