Preview AFL Preliminary Final - Pies vs Hawks - Prematch Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure you're right about Mick because apart from going after an established ruckman earlier (and we might have tried but not got any) I'm not sure what else he could have done. Look at how many ruckman we traded for, drafted etc, we tried a hell of a lot of players out. It's just unfortunate all of them were spuds/not up to standard, and that could have been a development thing, or just down to the recruiters. But over the time Mick has been at the club we've probably gone through 10 ruckmen/pinch hitters.

Kind of what i was getting at with Hawthorn. Besides Salmon and Everitt we've been poor as well, and always had to try and trade to strengthen ourselves in that area. Skipper, Johnson and Hale are proof of our struggles in that area. not many good homegrown ruckman from either of our clubs in the last 20 years.

Kind of what i was getting at with Hawthorn. Besides Salmon and Everitt we've been poor as well, and always had to try and trade to strengthen ourselves in that area. Skipper, Johnson and Hale are proof of our struggles in that area. not many good homegrown ruckman from either of our clubs in the last 20 years.

Recruiting rucks are a bit of a lottery unlike mids who can be converted into taggers, flankers etc. Some clubs seem to just naturally find rucks eg Essendon while we (and Hawthorn) have always struggled.

Which is why getting Jolly is the template for the future - ie pick up developed rucks from other clubs but still try to develop your own. Depending soley on the 2nd approach hasn't worked for us...Guy Richards?

Brent MaCaffer is not in collingwoods best 22 any more, he has missed the boat. Krakouer is his replacement. As for this weeks match if Roughead Gilham Young were playing, then this match would be an even money ball game. Roughead is hard to match up on when he is up & running. Plus the outs for collingwood are nothing compared to the long term injuries we have had. Try and win 19 Games with your FF and FB plus your CHB & your no.1 ruckman missin half the season. As for the result i expect coll to win, we will be in it by half time. But pies to run away with it in the second half. Collingwood by 32

Brent MaCaffer is not in collingwoods best 22 any more, he has missed the boat. Krakouer is his replacement. As for this weeks match if Roughead Gilham Young were playing, then this match would be an even money ball game. Roughead is hard to match up on when he is up & running. Plus the outs for collingwood are nothing compared to the long term injuries we have had. Try and win 19 Games with your FF and FB plus your CHB & your no.1 ruckman missin half the season. As for the result i expect coll to win, we will be in it by half time. But pies to run away with it in the second half. Collingwood by 32

Clinton Young isn't in your best 22 anymore.

Nathan Brown missed the entire year [better FB than yours]
Heath Shaw missed 8 matches [AA quality HB]
Chris Dawes missed 7 matches [FF, hasn't come back the same]
Darren Jolly missed 9 matches [better ruckman than yours, hasn't come back the same]
Nick Maxwell missed 6 matches [captain, AA defender, general of our defense]
Ben Jonson missed 9 matches [key experienced player]
Dayne Beams missed 8 matches [key midfield rotation, big goal-kicker]
Brent Macaffer effectively missed the year given he never got back to full fitness
Alan Toovey missed 5 matches [best medium defender]
Alan Didak missed 5 matches [AA last year, carried injuries all year]
Sharrod Wellingham missed 5 matches [integral part of our midfield]

Try and win the minor premiership with that run of injuries. :thumbsu:

A fit MaCaffer without his OP problems is definitely in our best 22.
He is a very good mark, can play on talls or smalls and is incredibly strong.
He is a better than average kick at goal and has a mature body.
Krakeour has taken Leon's spot with Didak playing predominantly forward instead of in the middle as he did most of last year when MaCaffer was playing forward.

I know we don't tag, but Hodge is the man we need to lock down on this week, he is their heart and soul and best chance of dragging them to a famous victory. If he is playing behind the ball I'd be very weary of not letting him get off the chain and clogging up Clokes space. If he is drifiting forward I'd assign Toovs to his side at all times.
I'm content with Taz on Buddy.

The trouble with these numbers is that Sydney's style means there are far more bounces/throw-ins in Swans games than any other. Adjusted for style, and expressed as % of clearances won, the numbers for the 5 teams you mentioned (+ Geelong) are:

Collingwood - 52.3%
Carlton - 51.3%
Sydney - 49.4%
West Coast - 48.8%
Hawthorn - 48.3%
(Geelong - 46.5%)

To be honest though, the differences are pretty insignificant and I'm not sure there's a heap of correlation between clearances and success. Quality of clearances is much more important than the raw numbers, which tend to be pretty even between all teams.

How did you go about adjusting for style mdc?

This.

I'm laughing at the media when they mention that we need Reid back to play on Buddy.

When we last played them, Tarrant restricted Buddy very well, and is 100% certain to start on him, whether Reid plays or not.

Reid will then go to the Hale for most of the game, as he seems to spend a lot of time forward in a Leigh Brown type role as their second ruck.

Tarrant will restrict Buddy enough for us to win comfortably.:)

I know we don't tag, but Hodge is the man we need to lock down on this week, he is their heart and soul and best chance of dragging them to a famous victory. If he is playing behind the ball I'd be very weary of not letting him get off the chain and clogging up Clokes space. If he is drifiting forward I'd assign Toovs to his side at all times.

I think Goldsacks Embley tag was in part preparation for match ups like this. Malthouse also likes to play an extra defensive runner against Geelong and has played Goldsack in this role in the past - I forget who he matched up on though.

Thomas in will be massive, Hawthorn dont have anybody who can match him for endurance, speed, ball winning ability and desire.

The names Liam Shiels, I reckon he could go with Thomas the best runner at our club beats the likes of Bateman and Buddy in running and brokee Crawfords 3k record at Hawthorn if needed Shielsy can go with him.

Any of you AFL members got any info on the ticketing for our prelim final?

I know the details arn't released yet but I'm wondering if people remember what happened last year?

I have full membership but I have a couple of mates who are still silver, some who have Collingwood club support and a couple of other clubs supporters.

I think last year against the cats that silver members could buy a guest pass, regardless of club support. Is that other peoples recollection too?

We'd all like to sit together of course.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Any of you AFL members got any info on the ticketing for our prelim final?

I know the details arn't released yet but I'm wondering if people remember what happened last year?

I have full membership but I have a couple of mates who are still silver, some who have Collingwood club support and a couple of other clubs supporters.

I think last year against the cats that silver members could buy a guest pass, regardless of club support. Is that other peoples recollection too?

We'd all like to sit together of course.

All the AFL members site says it that the prelim is like weeks one and two of the finals, although it's obviously different this week due to silver members not having rights to the game.

If you are a Pies Silver Member you can buy a ticket in the club allocation at the club member price, but I don't think Silver members will get any access at all to our prelim.

Tickets go on sale on Tuesday Morning, I know that much, so exact information should leak through over the next 24 hours or so.

This link is all I can find at the moment, doesn't say much at all.

http://www.aflmembership.com.au/toyota-afl-finals/weeks-1-3-finals-ticketing-information/

Thanks Matty.

I'm pretty sure though that last year against the cats that the silver members were able to buy a guest pass. In fact, looking back in my memory one of my silver member mates was with me last year so he must have been able to, and he's a tiger club support.

You wouldn't think the expected crowd against the Hawks would be any bigger than the Cats was last year?

I guess we'll find out by later today.

This.

I'm laughing at the media when they mention that we need Reid back to play on Buddy.

When we last played them, Tarrant restricted Buddy very well, and is 100% certain to start on him, whether Reid plays or not.

Reid will then go to the Hale for most of the game, as he seems to spend a lot of time forward in a Leigh Brown type role as their second ruck.

Tarrant will restrict Buddy enough for us to win comfortably.:)

Last Time we Played Reid played in the Defensive 50 by himself;)

See you guys in the big one :)
I bloody well hope so.:)

A Pies/Eagles GF is obviously the best result for us, while I'd say a Hawks/Eagles GF is the bet result for you.

I actually give your mob a chance next week, Joel Corey won't play, they have lost Menzel, and will probably play a Shannon Byrnes or one of their younger options, and Ottens will have the biggest test of his life up against Cox and NicNat in a final.

I'm tipping your prelim will be closer then ours.:)

Thanks Matty.

I'm pretty sure though that last year against the cats that the silver members were able to buy a guest pass. In fact, looking back in my memory one of my silver member mates was with me last year so he must have been able to, and he's a tiger club support.

You wouldn't think the expected crowd against the Hawks would be any bigger than the Cats was last year?

I guess we'll find out by later today.

Doubt it we have a lot more supporters than Geelong our matches with them the crowd is usually 75-25 our way:confused:

I'm not sure you're right about Mick because apart from going after an established ruckman earlier (and we might have tried but not got any) I'm not sure what else he could have done. Look at how many ruckman we traded for, drafted etc, we tried a hell of a lot of players out. It's just unfortunate all of them were spuds/not up to standard, and that could have been a development thing, or just down to the recruiters. But over the time Mick has been at the club we've probably gone through 10 ruckmen/pinch hitters.

Apart from Fraser, Mick kept trying get rucks on the cheap, discards/journeymen/spuds/bean poles, he had many chances to trade up but never did, the best ruckam we've had in the last decade was Pebbles IMO (Jolly aside), and he wasn't even a ruckman lol.

One thing I'm worried about with playing Hawthorn; if we look like running away with the game they have players who can play dirty to try and change the game. The last thing we'd want going into the GF is an injury or suspension from retaliating.

Examples please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back