Preview AFL Rd 18 - Coll v Suns Prematch Discussion, DaVe 86's Preview post 65 - Teams post 106

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Rd 18: Pies v Suns Prematch & selection discussion

Would love to bring in the Caff, all things being equal and he gets through the VFL game today.

Couldn't agree more, he didn't go to the States just to play in The Magoo's.....

Re: AFL Rd 18 - Pies v Suns Prematch & Selection Discussion

Bock is certainly not a bad defender. The people who watch him say that he's even in previous All Australian form. This is why KPF's never kick goals on us, or kick a huge bag. He keeps them quiet. It are the OTHER forwards that give us trouble! Having just started with AFL this year, I cannot compare, but yes.

It's interesting. Against top sides we seem to rise up against them for a little moment. We held our own against the Cats for a half, and the Hawks for a half. Also came within 17 of the Eagles at Subiaco. So the Suns can play the footy when they're on, it's just GETTING on and staying there.

I have little doubt that the Pies will win this. I cannot see it as a danger game in the least, unless lots of players are rested. All this inside knowledge and stuff is all well and good, but you still need the bodies and experience to work any plans out.

Rated third or something in the clearances, yeah. So that's our strength. Hopefully we can kick some goals and get a nice roll on early! Stay competitive for as long as possible.

Hoping our young guys learn as much as possible. No-one better to learn from than the best in the business, after all. Although Gazza is worried that some of the kids will be star struck. Lining up on Thomas, Swan or Pendles. :D

Also sort of hope our own Krakouer matches up on yours!

Go Suns!

Bit off topic but check out this weeks b&w show its pretty funny

Bock is certainly not a bad defender. The people who watch him say that he's even in previous All Australian form. This is why KPF's never kick goals on us, or kick a huge bag. He keeps them quiet. It are the OTHER forwards that give us trouble! Having just started with AFL this year, I cannot compare, but yes.

It's interesting. Against top sides we seem to rise up against them for a little moment. We held our own against the Cats for a half, and the Hawks for a half. Also came within 17 of the Eagles at Subiaco. So the Suns can play the footy when they're on, it's just GETTING on and staying there.

I have little doubt that the Pies will win this. I cannot see it as a danger game in the least, unless lots of players are rested. All this inside knowledge and stuff is all well and good, but you still need the bodies and experience to work any plans out.

Rated third or something in the clearances, yeah. So that's our strength. Hopefully we can kick some goals and get a nice roll on early! Stay competitive for as long as possible.

Hoping our young guys learn as much as possible. No-one better to learn from than the best in the business, after all. Although Gazza is worried that some of the kids will be star struck. Lining up on Thomas, Swan or Pendles. :D

Also sort of hope our own Krakouer matches up on yours!

Go Suns!
How is Ablett going this week? Do you expect him to play in the midfield? Is he over his knee injury? I didn't get to see the game last week but did he play mostly in the forward line?

Re: R18 Match Preview: GC v Pies

Pretty much sums it up.

Although I am curious. How many Pies are expected to rest in this game? Does anyone have any likely clues on who they'd be? Or to offer insight on the plan?

For instance, that article suggested Swan might be rested, but didn't he just have a week or so off in Arizona? Then Pendles might be out to recover from a niggle. And Thomas with his ankle.

Surely Swan, Thomas and Pendles cannot be all rested at once. Not that I'd complain as a Suns supporter, but that'd wreak havoc in my DT!

There is no way Swan will be 'rested'

Good write up.

Not sure on the benefit of resting guys in rd 17 though, unless they have some long standing injury worries.

More value would be to freshen a couple of the lads up a week at a time through rd 20-22. Perhaps Cloke, Pendles, Swan, Ball, Thomas and Jolly could be given a 'rest' in those weeks....or used as the sub.

I dont like the idea of resting immediately before the finals, ie rd 24 basically should be our best team...the intensity may be slightly off, but still a worthy hit out before the real stuff.

I just stumbled across this thread out of boredom and a bit of procrastination, but I'd just like to say congratulations on writing your previews on the collingwood website, I think it's great that your write ups are getting greater exposure to the general public (which they deserve).:thumbsu:

of interest to me is the frequent reference to players & coaches at the suns linked to collingwood and the potential influence that might have.

mckenna & o'bree get flagged, as does fraser, stanley & iles.

only o'bree & fraser were at collingwood in the last 12 months. the others departed collingwood in 2009 or before. in both cases things have changed to a large degree at collingwood, with many new faces in the senior 22 and those players roles different to the role they had when fixtures in the reserves.

while o'bree & fraser will no doubt have some intimate knowledge of players, their abilities, field structures etc, you would also strongly assume professional clubs would have sufficient knowledge of the opposition camp as a matter of course, and hence this additional information will be of minimal assistance.

be prepared for the extended hugfest post game. :)

How is Ablett going this week? Do you expect him to play in the midfield? Is he over his knee injury? I didn't get to see the game last week but did he play mostly in the forward line?

Hey Pies,

GAblett back to full training this week so will play in the mid as normal. Just precautionary last week starting in the fwd line. We have an open training tomorrow morning at 10am so anyone who is flying up to the game early you are most welcome to come and have a watch (training ground right next to Metricon stadium @ Carrara).

This is one of those scary games as a Suns supporter where you cross your fingers and hope it isn't the massive blow out that it could be. Even though footy is a funny game and a sold out Metricon will provide an awesome atmosphere, you still have to be realistic and admit we have no chance of winning. We do hope we can provide a contest though and the young guys use the opportunity to learn from the best team in the comp. If we can match it with you for more than a half, then we have improved since our game against the Cats.

A few of the match-ups should at least provide some good watching... Bock/Cloke, GAblett/Swan or Pendles should be a cracker unless both coaches decide to just the boys run free? Going to be a great learning curve for young Swallow who just seems to get better every game he plays.

We have had Harris and Krakouer running around in the reserves for the last month, both are fit and back in form, but on the outer and Bluey isn't making them automatic selections even with their experience. I hope they are back this week, just to help the younger guys and maybe reduce the goal flow slightly, but who knows with Bluey.

I expect MM to rest a few of your guns, and I don't think it is disrespectful to the Suns to rest those players who are carrying the more "serious" niggles... it is simply common sense coaching. Now that we have an extended 24 rd season, even with the byes guys are still having to train and with the introduction of the 3 on the bench rule, it is going to start to have a real effect on the players as the top 8 head into finals. I think any chance a coach has to give a player a "3rd bye", must be taken. You still have half a dozen games to tweak your finals team.

Anyhoo, here's hoping for a good game, any of you flying up for the game will love Metricon, it's a geat stadium, very user friendly. Weather is lovely up here at the moment, low 20's and blue skies most days so even if it is a blow out, you can work on your tan ;)

Toovey will miss this week with a broken finger :(

Collingwood has lost another premiership backman, with Alan Toovey following Heath Shaw on to the sidelines with a broken finger.
Collingwood General Manager of Football Geoff Walsh confirmed this morning that the highly valued left-footer will miss a minimum of two weeks due to the injury.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/another-magpie-backman-to-miss-20110721-1hpsq.html

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Re: AFL Rd 18 - Coll v Suns Prematch Discussion, DaVe 86's Preview post 65

Goldsack for sure.. Buckley IMO doesn't have the shutdown ability that Goldsack has. Also does anyone else find it wierd that Buckley didn't play last week after Shaw was named out? You would think that if he was going to play that last week he would've been in...

my team would be:

Goldsack Tarrant Maxwell

Obrien Reid Davis

Thomas Swan Johnson

Wellingham Keefe Sidebottom

Krakourer Cloke Blair

Foll: Jolly Pendels Ball

Inter: Fasolo L Brown Mcaffer Mcarthy

Out: Toovey Rounds

In Macaffer Goldsack

Beams to come back through VFL
Didak not to play at all, give him another week
Goldsack & Maccaffer need senior games into them before finals
Rounds has had a taste but wont be in the finals team

Hopefully Dawes & Tooves will be back for port adelaide or Saints

If we want to rest a pendles/tarrant/thomas, then we can keep rounds in or bring in a J thomas

your probably right but i just wanna see some young blood

It'll come, I'd say it's best we don't force it though. His best chance is if one of the midfielders is rested, as it means that Steele would need to spend more time in the midfield and Seedsman could come in to take his place in the forward structure.

Or possibly if Fasolo is rested. There is also a chance that Sinclair may take Seedsman's spot out from under his feet anyway as the club has big wraps on him!

your probably right but i just wanna see some young blood

There will plenty of young blood spilled on Saturday night don't you worry!

Unfortunate Tooves is going to miss a couple but good to hear Pendles is right. I'm with those saying Goldsack and Caff in this week, need to get some good solid footy into them soon.

Goldsack's taking a while, but he's going to be a gun of a player. Just needs time

Anyone find it stange that a broken finger has a 2 week timefame according to the club yet a broken knuckle takes 6 weeks?

Anyone find it stange that a broken finger has a 2 week timefame according to the club yet a broken knuckle takes 6 weeks?
Easy joints as in knuckles take longer to heal,

First they are load bearing and 'torque' with movement

Secondly the soft tissue around the joint gets inflamed

Third both soft tissue and bone fragments can get into the joint making it worse.

Sack for Tooves, need him sharp for finals duties Seedsman won't be called upon in the finals so Sack is the go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back