Preview AFL Rd 22 - Collingwood v WCE - MCG Friday night - Changes and Prematch Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Thoughts on him going around again next year?

First thing that springs to mind is that my comments will probably be perceived as biased because he is my cousin, but you have asked so here it is:

I'd like to think Andrew has one more year left. People on here criticize him for being slow - lack of leg speed etc. The thing is that he never ever was quick, but he has a quick mind and in tight congestive spaces, he is as good as anyone in the league and when it comes to be a natural crumbing forward...........Andrew is the best at this role at Collingwood. I'm not talking about a small forward, I'm being more specific then that. Elliot is different type of small forward - more like a marking option. Andrew is a crumbing forward. No one at Collingwood can crumb as good as him (again that could be perceived as biased - but I reckon its spot on).

I' like to think Andrew can go around again but it's up to him. He has said to me before he will see how it goes at the end of the year and as he has said before in interviews etc - if his body can hold up, then yeah why not, if Collingwood want him then yeah he can go around again for sure.

He may be 30 but he is not run down - he is not run into the ground. Remember that he had a three year absence from AFL from 2008 to 2010. He may be a 30 year-old but he is not run into the ground. The only major injury he has had is the knee problem in 2012 which meant a knee reco, then he was rushed back (because he was good to go) for the finals series in 2012 and he kicked 4 goals against the Hawks in the Qualifying Final. But I reckon lack of game time may have caught up with him towards the end of that finals series as well, he looked tired etc.

Apart from the knee - he has had no serious injuries. Another thing people have to realise is that once a player does do a knee and has a knee reco, it then takes another full year after the year a player does his knee to really get back into it. What I mean is this: Andrew does his knee in 2012, so 2013 is the "another full year" to get used to it etc. So hopefully 2014 he can get back to his best form or thereabouts that he showed in 2011. So far this year Andrew has shown glimpsed of 2011. He has had one bad or quiet game so far this year - against Gold Coast then he was dropped and can't get back in. Hopefully he can get for the finals.

Finally, all that I have said above are my thoughts. So I don't want people on here to think that I am sort of ducking your question. I have given you and others an honest opinion. I could be totally wrong or I could be right. Time will tell if he goes around next year or not.

Also for a bit of sentiment, I'd love it if Andrew could get to 150 games. So far he has played 137 games. His father Jimmy played 147 games and his uncle Phil played 148 games, so it would be really good if Andy can get to 150 games. But again time will tell.

They are my thoughts but ultimately it will be up to him if he wants to go around next year. I'd love him to, but it's up to him. His contract finishes at the end of this year as well.

Cheers.

First thing that springs to mind is that my comments will probably be perceived as biased because he is my cousin, but you have asked so here it is:

I'd like to think Andrew has one more year left. People on here criticize him for being slow - lack of leg speed etc. The thing is that he never ever was quick, but he has a quick mind and in tight congestive spaces, he is as good as anyone in the league and when it comes to be a natural crumbing forward...........Andrew is the best at this role at Collingwood. I'm not talking about a small forward, I'm being more specific then that. Elliot is different type of small forward - more like a marking option. Andrew is a crumbing forward. No one at Collingwood can crumb as good as him (again that could be perceived as biased - but I reckon its spot on).

I' like to think Andrew can go around again but it's up to him. He has said to me before he will see how it goes at the end of the year and as he has said before in interviews etc - if his body can hold up, then yeah why not, if Collingwood want him then yeah he can go around again for sure.

He may be 30 but he is not run down - he is not run into the ground. Remember that he had a three year absence from AFL from 2008 to 2010. He may be a 30 year-old but he is not run into the ground. The only major injury he has had is the knee problem in 2012 which meant a knee reco, then he was rushed back (because he was good to go) for the finals series in 2012 and he kicked 4 goals against the Hawks in the Qualifying Final. But I reckon lack of game time may have caught up with him towards the end of that finals series as well, he looked tired etc.

Apart from the knee - he has had no serious injuries. Another thing people have to realise is that once a player does do a knee and has a knee reco, it then takes another full year after the year a player does his knee to really get back into it. What I mean is this: Andrew does his knee in 2012, so 2013 is the "another full year" to get used to it etc. So hopefully 2014 he can get back to his best form or thereabouts that he showed in 2011. So far this year Andrew has shown glimpsed of 2011. He has had one bad or quiet game so far this year - against Gold Coast then he was dropped and can't get back in. Hopefully he can get for the finals.

Finally, all that I have said above are my thoughts. So I don't want people on here to think that I am sort of ducking your question. I have given you and others an honest opinion. I could be totally wrong or I could be right. Time will tell if he goes around next year or not.

Also for a bit of sentiment, I'd love it if Andrew could get to 150 games. So far he has played 137 games. His father Jimmy played 147 games and his uncle Phil played 148 games, so it would be really good if Andy can get to 150 games. But again time will tell.

They are my thoughts but ultimately it will be up to him if he wants to go around next year. I'd love him to, but it's up to him. His contract finishes at the end of this year as well.

Cheers.
Very good post/answer. I also hope Krak goes around again next year & gets to 150 games.
Question: What happens if Richmond play Collingwood in finals....who do you want to win? Your first team or your cousin's team.

Cheers.
I agree that he is our best crumber. If he can totally commit to training and maintain a slim physique, I'd be happy for him to go around again.

... but he has a quick mind and in tight congestive spaces, he is as good as anyone in the league and when it comes to be a natural crumbing forward...........Andrew is the best at this role at Collingwood.

I think folks here would generally agree with you (I do).

We are crying out for good crumbing forwards and Krak seems to be our only option (apart from Blair, but he's entrenched in the midfield)

They are my thoughts but ultimately it will be up to him if he wants to go around next year. I'd love him to, but it's up to him. ...

... and if the club wants him.

He's fighting to get a spot in the team and I thought it is only going to get harder (although, as you say, it may get easier for him 2nd year back from an ACL - fair point).

It may come down to whether he can also be a good mentor to our young players (as per players like Young). But not sure that what Krak does can be taught. Krak strikes me as an instinctive player.

:thumbsu:

Very good post/answer. I also hope Krak goes around again next year & gets to 150 games.
Question: What happens if Richmond play Collingwood in finals....who do you want to win? Your first team or your cousin's team.

Hahahaha I was waiting for someone to ask me this. Ummm do I really need to answer this question?? Oh god haha.

No it's Ok, look people on here will probably kick me out of this forum BUT.........I am a Richmond supporter and always will be - throug the good times and the bad times (yes plenty of bad times in the last 30-odd years). However my second team (if that's what people call it) is Collingwood.

Round 4 this year saw Richmond play Collingwood. My heart was with Richmond and I was annoyed Collingwood beat them. If Richmond play Collingwood in the finals and Andy is playing, I will hope Richmond win but I hope Andy plays a good game.

Most of the family jumped off Richmond and supported Collingwood when Andy went to Collingwood (Richmond became their second team) but I stuck by Richmond and always will be and because Andy now plays at Collingwood, I watch Collingwood games. If he didn't play at Collingwood then I probably wouldn't comment so much on this Collingwood forum.

Also, when Andy doesn't play in Collingwood games, I don't tend to be that interested but when he is playing in the side then I will watch the Collingwood games.

You gotta realise too that Andy still has a soft spot for Richmond being a 100-gamer with them.

Hope that answers your question mate.

Cheers.

Cheers.
Agree but I think he's a lot more than a crumbling forward, like Didak he's a playmaker, he's got such a brilliant footy mind he sets up plays and forward ball movement, goal assists, defensive manoeuvres across the ground and makes something out of nothing on countless occasions, makes us a much more dangerous team, particularly given the poor quality of decision making and disposal of several of our other players.

Hahahaha I was waiting for someone to ask me this. Ummm do I really need to answer this question?? Oh god haha.

No it's Ok, look people on here will probably kick me out of this forum BUT.........I am a Richmond supporter and always will be - throug the good times and the bad times (yes plenty of bad times in the last 30-odd years). However my second team (if that's what people call it) is Collingwood.

Round 4 this year saw Richmond play Collingwood. My heart was with Richmond and I was annoyed Collingwood beat them. If Richmond play Collingwood in the finals and Andy is playing, I will hope Richmond win but I hope Andy plays a good game.

Most of the family jumped off Richmond and supported Collingwood when Andy went to Collingwood (Richmond became their second team) but I stuck by Richmond and always will be and because Andy now plays at Collingwood, I watch Collingwood games. If he didn't play at Collingwood then I probably wouldn't comment so much on this Collingwood forum.

Also, when Andy doesn't play in Collingwood games, I don't tend to be that interested but when he is playing in the side then I will watch the Collingwood games.

You gotta realise too that Andy still has a soft spot for Richmond being a 100-gamer with them.

Cheers.

Good answer :thumbsu:

It must be fun watching a family member play AFL footy (for any team)

I think folks here would generally agree with you (I do).

We are crying out for good crumbing forwards and Krak seems to be our only option (apart from Blair, but he's entrenched in the midfield)

... and if the club wants him.

He's fighting to get a spot in the team and I thought it is only going to get harder (although, as you say, it may get easier for him 2nd year back from an ACL - fair point).

It may come down to whether he can also be a good mentor to our young players (as per players like Young). But not sure that what Krak does can be taught. Krak strikes me as an instinctive player.

:thumbsu:

Krak like his father and uncle is an instinctive player. You simply can't teach players what he does. It's too hard. You either have it or you don't, I mean I'm not a footy coach but I would imagine someone saying to a player - be as close to the big mens feet as possible, maybe give them 20m-25m space, when the ball drops on the ground, then pounce.

But then you have that instinctive skill and working your way through traffic, then you gotta find some space to kick the ball and aim it at the goals which can't be taught. Too hard - far too hard.

Cheers.
If Bucks won't give him a game I hope he goes home to Richmond and I'll Barack for him there.
Too much magic left in him to go around in the vfl.

Good answer :thumbsu:

It must be fun watching a family member play AFL footy (for any team)

Yeah it is and I have enjoyed the ups and downs. At Richmond I used to see Andy after the game in the change rooms and meet all the big guns and chat with guys like Richo, Wayne Campbell, Joel Bowden, Nathan Brown, Brad Ottens etc etc and all the rest, the list goes on and on.

At Collingwood - the same thing too. Richmond and Collingwood boys are great to chat to. Plus you get free tickets to the game as well. I live in Perth so when Richmond and now Collingwood go to the game and if Andy was going I'd get a ticket and watch the game. Mind you though, there is something special about going into the changerooms at the MCG, it's better then going into the change rooms at Subiaco. The MCG is - The home of footy.

I was there for Andrew first game for Collingwood (and first game in AFL after a three year absence). It was Etihad Stadium against Port Adelaide - Round 1. Andy kicked a nice goal too. I think it's on youtube somewhere. Met Eddie as well in the changerooms after the game. Nice bloke he is.

Cheers.

Cheers.

Collingwood supporters understand this kind of passion and loyalty :rainbow:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cheers.
I like your style. You are most welcome here. When I was growing up, Richmond were my second team.

If Bucks won't give him a game I hope he goes home to Richmond and I'll Barack for him there.
Too much magic left in him to go around in the vfl.

Nah too old now for Richmond. I don't think they would consider him now.

Last week it came out that he wasn't attending every training session and was flying to SA during the week to be with a sick mate. The club said that he wouldn't be available for senior selection again this year.

That may change after the weekend, because that's the best he's played this year anywhere.

I wouldn't be against him getting a game against the Eagles, shit, Krakouer had heaps of chances and failed in all but one game.

I knew he had been granted personal leave but can't recall reading anything from the club saying that he is not available for senior selection. I guess if he is not selected for the West Coast game we will know that it is all over. Personally I hope he is picked as I still think he and Krak could bring some much needed class to the side. Despite the loss on Friday night I believe we are set for a good finals series.

Collingwood people

Thanks to everyone for making me feel welcome on this board. The Richmond guys in the Richmond board have also made me feel welcome as well.

But yeah thanks to all Collingwood people on here. Maybe I should buy a Collingwood membership one day, but I gotta buy a Richmond membership first as well haha.

I will ALWAYS be thankful to Collingwood for giving Andy a second chance at AFL.

What 2 weeks before the finals when we are trying to have a settled team we make 5 changes?
don't worry about wins the next. 2weeks will be about jockeying for position example what side of the finals we want to play will also look to freshen some players so could be a few changes

If you dont play you cant play. He has gone on personal leave twice this year and just hasnt had the form as a result of missing too much football. He should not get a game on reputation, he has to get one on merit.
Malthouse admits he made a mistake by leaving Medhurst in the Vfl to long and wasn't ready to step up to help in finals lesson should be learnt play krak now

Agree but I think he's a lot more than a crumbling forward, like Didak he's a playmaker, he's got such a brilliant footy mind he sets up plays and forward ball movement, goal assists, defensive manoeuvres across the ground and makes something out of nothing on countless occasions, makes us a much more dangerous team, particularly given the poor quality of decision making and disposal of several of our other players.
also love his tackling wonder if he could slot into Ben sinclairs role if he's injured worth a try for a couple of meaningless games

Cheers.
Appreciate your candid post and agree with a lot of what you said. I think Krak's body should still be in good shape given he missed a few years. Sure he was not the quickest player, but he knows this and plays to his strengths. Agree also that he is our best natural crumber.

I have heard (on this board and elsewere) people questioning his commitment and desire to go on. Not saying I agree with this, I reckon it's just based on people's opinion and unsubstantiated rumour, but it would be good to get your perspective on that?

Looking at the VFL reports and outcome it's almost inexcusable for Bucks not to pick Dids.

34 touches, 10 marks and 1.5 (6 shots on goal in windy conditions). Seriously, we need more class forward of centre. Didak's still got that even if he offers nothing defensively.

Ben Kennedy should also be considered.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview AFL Rd 22 - Collingwood v WCE - MCG Friday night - Changes and Prematch Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back