Preview AFL Rd 22 - Collingwood v WCE - MCG Friday night - Changes and Prematch Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

When Kennedy is elevated to the AFL he doesn't seem to be able to make the transition from VFL. He then adds to all the little people in our team who are too easily brushed aside by bigger bodies. I'd rather he does another pre-season before being again tried out against the best sides.

If he replaces Blair though it is midget for midget. Like the new username by the way. You should be safe for a while with that one.

Appreciate your candid post and agree with a lot of what you said. I think Krak's body should still be in good shape given he missed a few years. Sure he was not the quickest player, but he knows this and plays to his strengths. Agree also that he is our best natural crumber.

I have heard (on this board and elsewere) people questioning his commitment and desire to go on. Not saying I agree with this, I reckon it's just based on people's opinion and unsubstantiated rumour, but it would be good to get your perspective on that?

In regards to people's opinion about people on here questioning his commitment and desire to go on:

Everyone has an opinion about Andrew it seems - good, bad and in between. That's fine of course, everyone is entitled to their opinion. I know who he is a player and a person and he is committed to his footy, but like all footballers - the constant media scrutiny which footballers face can be tough and sometimes enough to put players off.

Andrew is not a lazy footballer or not committed and at times on the field his body language may seem to be too casual but that's he operates, it's just him. Doesn't mean he is not committed.

As for his desire to go on, as I have said in this thread, it will be up to him if he wants to go on or not. It's his call at the end of the day.

Cheers.

If he replaces Blair though it is midget for midget. Like the new username by the way. You should be safe for a while with that one.
I am hoping to be safe for semi-eternity with the username, as I see Grundy as a long term prospect. Midget for midget is acceptable, particularly given Blair's current vulnerability. I could live with that swap.

Andrew is not a lazy footballer or not committed and at times on the field his body language may seem to be too casual but that's he operates, it's just him. Doesn't mean he is not committed.

As for his desire to go on, as I have said in this thread, it will be up to him if he wants to go on or not. It's his call at the end of the day.

Cheers.

When a player gets dropped to the VFL because his fitness is not AFL standard then questions have to be asked

No one is saying krak is lazy relative to an average joe blow on his computer, but relative to a pendlebury or someone who would never let themselves slip then probably yeah he should of worked harder of staying fit

When Kennedy is elevated to the AFL he doesn't seem to be able to make the transition from VFL. He then adds to all the little people in our team who are too easily brushed aside by bigger bodies. I'd rather he does another pre-season before being again tried out against the best sides.
He played like 10 consecutive games

Yeah it is and I have enjoyed the ups and downs. At Richmond I used to see Andy after the game in the change rooms and meet all the big guns and chat with guys like Richo, Wayne Campbell, Joel Bowden, Nathan Brown, Brad Ottens etc etc and all the rest, the list goes on and on.

At Collingwood - the same thing too. Richmond and Collingwood boys are great to chat to. Plus you get free tickets to the game as well. I live in Perth so when Richmond and now Collingwood go to the game and if Andy was going I'd get a ticket and watch the game. Mind you though, there is something special about going into the changerooms at the MCG, it's better then going into the change rooms at Subiaco. The MCG is - The home of footy.

I was there for Andrew first game for Collingwood (and first game in AFL after a three year absence). It was Etihad Stadium against Port Adelaide - Round 1. Andy kicked a nice goal too. I think it's on youtube somewhere. Met Eddie as well in the changerooms after the game. Nice bloke he is.

Cheers.
Mate love your insight and honesty....you are welcome on this board any time, and I for one look forward to hearing more about Krak...!

In regards to people's opinion about people on here questioning his commitment and desire to go on:

Everyone has an opinion about Andrew it seems - good, bad and in between. That's fine of course, everyone is entitled to their opinion. I know who he is a player and a person and he is committed to his footy, but like all footballers - the constant media scrutiny which footballers face can be tough and sometimes enough to put players off.

Cheers.
Two seasons in a row, Krakouer has returned to training after Christmas overweight and has not completed pre-seasons. His season was ruined this year by his lack of application in the pre-season. He has also required time away from the game for 'personal reasons'. He is the only player to my knowledge whose injury has been listed as 'match fitness'. Can you understand that a number of us are concerned that he may again miss pre-season work or not take sufficient care to maintain good physical condition during the off-season? Despite all our injuries and some very good form from Krakouer selectors have overlooked him. Why?

I am hoping to be safe for semi-eternity with the username, as I see Grundy as a long term prospect. Midget for midget is acceptable, particularly given Blair's current vulnerability. I could live with that swap.

I would look for a different picture of the Great Grundy though. Too much red on that one.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Only two changes I can see are

IN - Seedsman Jolly
OUT - Sinclair Lynch

We need to see NOW if the Jolly/Grundy team can work before its to late

jarryd blair is easily the most underrated player in the team. does anyone actually watch his hardness and hustle and tackling? hes one 2 players who set the tone for the whole side. the other is luke ball. he is actually the epitome of the collingwood hunting in packs mentality.

anywho,

i wanna see the grundy/jolly experiment before finals arrive so cya lynch u crusty old man

aside from that seedsman in for sinclair and maaaybe didak in for dwyer or thomas, im guessing dwyer atm

Cheers.
Thanks again mate, Krak has faced more than his own fair share of adversity and come through the other side each time. I reckon if anybody has the determination and depth of character to keep going and succeed in this game, he does.

IN - Seedsman Jolly
OUT - Sinclair Lynch

Pretty much this. I'm also warming to the idea of Didak coming in as the sub. Our biggest problem on the weekend was our kicking into the forward fifty and Dids is the best at the club at it. Also, I think he has the tools to have a bigger impact in a short time than, say Dwyer, which makes him more suited to the sub role.

Shaw has not been having the same affect in an attacking sense as normal so this gives us the opportunity to give him more of a lockdown role. If we omit Sinclair, Seedsman can then be the runner off half back. It would make for our most balanced possible side out of all those available.

IN - Seedsman Jolly
OUT - Sinclair Lynch

100% agree with you and they are the changes that should happen if Sinclair is injured and if he isn't Jolly still must come in for Lynch.

First thing that springs to mind is that my comments will probably be perceived as biased because he is my cousin, but you have asked so here it is:

I'd like to think Andrew has one more year left. People on here criticize him for being slow - lack of leg speed etc. The thing is that he never ever was quick, but he has a quick mind and in tight congestive spaces, he is as good as anyone in the league and when it comes to be a natural crumbing forward...........Andrew is the best at this role at Collingwood. I'm not talking about a small forward, I'm being more specific then that. Elliot is different type of small forward - more like a marking option. Andrew is a crumbing forward. No one at Collingwood can crumb as good as him (again that could be perceived as biased - but I reckon its spot on).

I' like to think Andrew can go around again but it's up to him. He has said to me before he will see how it goes at the end of the year and as he has said before in interviews etc - if his body can hold up, then yeah why not, if Collingwood want him then yeah he can go around again for sure.

He may be 30 but he is not run down - he is not run into the ground. Remember that he had a three year absence from AFL from 2008 to 2010. He may be a 30 year-old but he is not run into the ground. The only major injury he has had is the knee problem in 2012 which meant a knee reco, then he was rushed back (because he was good to go) for the finals series in 2012 and he kicked 4 goals against the Hawks in the Qualifying Final. But I reckon lack of game time may have caught up with him towards the end of that finals series as well, he looked tired etc.

Apart from the knee - he has had no serious injuries. Another thing people have to realise is that once a player does do a knee and has a knee reco, it then takes another full year after the year a player does his knee to really get back into it. What I mean is this: Andrew does his knee in 2012, so 2013 is the "another full year" to get used to it etc. So hopefully 2014 he can get back to his best form or thereabouts that he showed in 2011. So far this year Andrew has shown glimpsed of 2011. He has had one bad or quiet game so far this year - against Gold Coast then he was dropped and can't get back in. Hopefully he can get for the finals.

Finally, all that I have said above are my thoughts. So I don't want people on here to think that I am sort of ducking your question. I have given you and others an honest opinion. I could be totally wrong or I could be right. Time will tell if he goes around next year or not.

Also for a bit of sentiment, I'd love it if Andrew could get to 150 games. So far he has played 137 games. His father Jimmy played 147 games and his uncle Phil played 148 games, so it would be really good if Andy can get to 150 games. But again time will tell.

They are my thoughts but ultimately it will be up to him if he wants to go around next year. I'd love him to, but it's up to him. His contract finishes at the end of this year as well.

Cheers.
well said brudda. reason why i watch footy cause of ANDREW KRAKOUER!!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview AFL Rd 22 - Collingwood v WCE - MCG Friday night - Changes and Prematch Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back