Preview AFL Round 15 - Essendon v Geelong, Etihad Stadium, 7:10PM Saturday 2 July

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motlop more likely I think under Scott's give the kids a couple of games policy.

Even with Varcoe out this week I still reckon Motlop might be dropped because they'll want to give Byrnes a full game (with Stokes back also of course)

Lloyd and Lucas may have been better to hang around the club for another couple of years considering they were still fit enough to keep playing
They really weren't. Neither laid a tackle in their last years.
Williams was meant to be there as a bit of a stop-gap to kick cheapish goals, while they developed Gumby et al. He's knackered, though, and Gumby's only 50/50 at this stage.
There's a lot, and I mean a lot, of hard yards to go. Need to show we can compete deep into the season before really thinking about finals let alone winning them. They did say the pre-season flogging was as much about next year as this one and I can only hope that's right.
At least it looks like they're happier to keep kids who've picked up bad habits in the 2s as long as required now. Problem being there's not a lot really ahead of them.

They better.

I have to travel home via Essendon station after the game.

As for the "payback" stuff, couldnt care less. I will even shout Bomber a sandwich if he likes- honestly, will not be paying that man any attention.

Yeah who really cares about "payback" to be honest?

Payback for what? Winning two flags for us and then passing on the coaching role when he was feeling burnt out to another new coach that has the hunger and drive to have us currently sitting unbeaten?

Stuff "payback" we should all be sending Bomber a box of choccies and some flowers for leaving when he did!!

The media love this rubbish , Id rather beat Hawthorn all over the shop any day of the week than really give to Ess.

Thompson played an important part in where we are today. We could so easily be like the Dogs or the Saints. We don't owe him everything but certainly we should temper our emotions. The last great test of a leader is the way his troops perform when he is gone , on this year evidence he trained them well.

I said it at the time , it was just dumb the way it all finished but maybe thats the norm , not may divorces end on good terms. How often to successful bands finish on good terms.Hopefully it all settled by 2017 , the group should be able to get back together and reminisce on their top ten hits without worrying about the way it ended.

Nup, he didn't do enough. Worked hard but disposal was pretty ordinary. I'd rather Brown stays in for another go. Byrnes was ok I thought once he came on.
Agree with that , workrate appeared to be spot on but committed some bad turnovers which took the gloss off an encouraging debut.

Payback for what? Winning two flags for us and then passing on the coaching role when he was feeling burnt out to another new coach that has the hunger and drive to have us currently sitting unbeaten?

Stuff "payback" we should all be sending Bomber a box of choccies and some flowers for leaving when he did!!

such a good post :thumbsu:

Got a freebie ticket - members seating. So I will be sitting with a score of Ess. fans all around me.

It will be good to see the Catters live and I am thinking it might possibly be a one sided game. I don't mind that.

Just hope to see some of the newbies in the flesh.

As far as the whole payback thing - the fact you feel you need to get even means that your still not ok with what happened. I was very disappointed in Thompson for the way he handled it - as it insulted the club and a heap of supporters - who helped make him a Premiership coach (also he seemed like hypocrite to me in the way he dealt with Ablett - demanding loyalty when he himself seemed to act without much in the end).

However I am over it now. It is in the past.

Thompson, I do not believe, would not have had the energy and flexibility to engineer what Chris Scott has done this season. So it worked out well for us really.

I want my team just to focus on the job at hand - to get better in our tactics and strategy that we are attempting implement - so that come Sept. we have it down for longer periods in matches.

No doubt Collingwood started the season ahead of us in this area. We are 12 months behind them, or more, in the practise of a game plan that will be used by the teams in the finals this year.

They tinker while we are still bedding things down.

Their young players are 20 games ahead of ours.

It is therefore somewhat of a big ask for us to over run them in the finals - but that is exactly what we have to do.

Come round 17-18 then - we better have the best 22 combination selected and the game plan carried out by this group for the remaining matches. This is with the aim of having everyone on the same page.

2008 tells me we are still a chance to pull off a great season - but I am under no illusions - we are not the favourites to win the 2011 Premiership.

you do realize Bomber was in financial difficulty resulting from properties that somewhat backfired on him during the 2010 season and when he got whiff of that huge Essendon coaching contract he was very smart as usual in protecting his own personal interests. Can't blame him for that, only human nature to help yourself first but he did make Gary Ablett juniors decision that much easier to make in the end and did say he'd spend a while away from footy because he's burnt out. Bulls***! He signed the million dollar contract with Essendon only weeks later and left the club looking for answers. Luckily for us it was the best thing he could have ever done in all his years at Geelong:D
Glad too that Mackie is free and has the full support of the coach and suspect numerous others feel the same way too.

Got a freebie ticket - members seating. So I will be sitting with a score of Ess. fans all around me.

It will be good to see the Catters live and I am thinking it might possibly be a one sided game. I don't mind that.

I'm hoping it will be one-sided. All the games we've played in Melbourne except the last st kilda match have been way too close for comfort!

I'm looking forward to a game where I can sit back and enjoy the spectacle in the last quarter, rather than being on the edge of a heart attack :)

PS. Cats by a fair margin - especially if we bring back 3-4 players.

I wonder who will come back in ?

I would like to see Simpson (rest Ottens 1 more week before WC trip) and Bundy (rest Kelly's ankle before the road trips) play again this week.

Principally because Simpson will get rucking duties if Ottens gets injured, and Bundy could well be in our best 22 come the end of the season - if given the opportunity. So both need some games now - so we can see what they can do and for them to gain some excellent experience in a winning team (unlike the VFL side).

+2. Spot on.

I'm hoping it will be one-sided. All the games we've played in Melbourne except the last st kilda match have been way too close for comfort!

I'm looking forward to a game where I can sit back and enjoy the spectacle in the last quarter, rather than being on the edge of a heart attack :)
I'm sure it will. Without Watson Bombers are uncompetitive. Our priority is to avoid injuries.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

you do realize Bomber was in financial difficulty resulting from properties that somewhat backfired on him during the 2010 season and when he got whiff of that huge Essendon coaching contract he was very smart as usual in protecting his own personal interests. Can't blame him for that, only human nature to help yourself first but he did make Gary Ablett juniors decision that much easier to make in the end and did say he'd spend a while away from footy because he's burnt out. Bulls***! He signed the million dollar contract with Essendon only weeks later and left the club looking for answers. Luckily for us it was the best thing he could have ever done in all his years at Geelong:D
Glad too that Mackie is free and has the full support of the coach and suspect numerous others feel the same way too.

So what, you think he was coaching to the best of his abilities and had his full attention on the cats last year?
Blind freddie could see that his heart wasnt in it, and honestly he was much better to walk away when he did because it would have been detrimental to the team!!

Ironic that the standing tickets are cheaper than a seat in impeded view section.

anyone have any hints to getting tickets for this? Finally I can make it down to the footy but unsure how to go about it! There will be 3 of us. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

anyone have any hints to getting tickets for this? Finally I can make it down to the footy but unsure how to go about it! There will be 3 of us. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Mug a Bombers supporter before the game and take their tickets? :D

I dont think theres much of a chance of getting a ticket, unless you like standing room - which I am a fan of personally!!
It was announced as a fully ticketed game a few weeks ago.

So what, you think he was coaching to the best of his abilities and had his full attention on the cats last year?
Blind freddie could see that his heart wasnt in it, and honestly he was much better to walk away when he did because it would have been detrimental to the team!!

well I dunno about you but I dislike lies and he should have just said I'm stepping away from the Geelong footy club to take up a role at my old home Essendon and it would have ended so much better for everyone.

I think this will be the side

FB - Gillies, Lonergan, Scarlett
HB - T.Hunt, Taylor, Enright
M - Mackie, Ling, Wojcinski
HF - SJ, Pods, Chappy
FF - Brown, Vardy, Stokes
FO - Simpson, Bartel, Kelly

INT - Duncan, Christensen, J.Hunt, Byrnes (s)

Corey gets the ol General this week.
Give Otto another week to rest.
Dasher wont play, 2 week achillies according to CS
Brown only named if Menzel isnt 100%

I think this will be the side

FB - Gillies, Lonergan, Scarlett
HB - T.Hunt, Taylor, Enright
M - Mackie, Ling, Wojcinski
HF - SJ, Pods, Chappy
FF - Brown, Vardy, Stokes
FO - Simpson, Bartel, Kelly

INT - Duncan, Christensen, J.Hunt, Byrnes (s)

Corey gets the ol General this week.
Give Otto another week to rest.
Dasher wont play, 2 week achillies according to CS
Brown only named if Menzel isnt 100%

Are Corey and Varcoe the only ones to play every game this year ?
Varcoe we know is out and Corey must be due,plus he's had a history of pulling up with knee soreness after a game at ES so this would be a good time to STW him.
Can't see Byrnes being a sub this week as he needs game time.Maybe someone like THunt or JHunt might get the gig.
Brown will play even if Menzel does,which I doubt he will.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back