Preview AFL Round 15 - Essendon v Geelong, Etihad Stadium, 7:10PM Saturday 2 July

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joel Corey is due a rest, he will want to go to Perth, so this is the week we should do it. With Bartel and Kelly back, and Essendon missing Watson and Lonergan we should boss the clearances anyway.

Give Enright the week off in Perth, probably Scarlett as well.

Not sure where this myth came from that Bomber does not give youngsters a chance came from. He played Varcoe about 20 games before he earned one. Hawkins was also persisted with long after his form dropped, as was Lonergan. He played Taylor from day one as well.

Anyhow enough about him.

Joel Corey is due a rest, he will want to go to Perth, so this is the week we should do it. With Bartel and Kelly back, and Essendon missing Watson and Lonergan we should boss the clearances anyway.

Give Enright the week off in Perth, probably Scarlett as well.

Uhmmm...no. We have games subsequent to the Eagles game that we can do that.

The Eagles game is our biggest game before Round 24, and will be a real test. We need our defensive back 6 in tact for that game.

Interesting...will Round 24 game against the Pies be a non-event???

Guesses at selection is impossible this week.

Christensen has to stay in this time, surely. As someone mentioned above Gillies will probably stay in for this game and then play against the Eagles with all their tall forward options.

Then it comes down to whose turn it is for a rest. Menzel was a little sore so maybe Brown gets a reprieve to be the third marking option.

Guesses at selection is impossible this week.

Christensen has to stay in this time, surely. As someone mentioned above Gillies will probably stay in for this game and then play against the Eagles with all their tall forward options.

Then it comes down to whose turn it is for a rest. Menzel was a little sore so maybe Brown gets a reprieve to be the third marking option.

Lynch is out of the West Coast game so the Tall Timber is reduced somewhat, aside from that i think Gillies should continue for the next few weeks.

Brown for Menzel sounds like a reasonable course, although i would prefer Menzel (if fit) to keep going given that he is really putting some solid performances together.

Hey guys, everyone says kelly will be back, but i saw him dressed in his suit on sunday and he was still limping. So im thinking he may not play this week.

Thinking ahead much?
Wet Toast game?

Uhmmm...no. We have games subsequent to the Eagles game that we can do that.

The Eagles game is our biggest game before Round 24, and will be a real test. We need our defensive back 6 in tact for that game.

Interesting...will Round 24 game against the Pies be a non-event???

Agree with that, the Brisbane game the week after the Eagles is when we should be resting people, we need all hands on deck next week at Subi. Anyone rested this week should be specifically so they are right to make that trip.

Yeah I think round 24 will be a non event because both sides will be 1st and 2nd and unlikely to be able to drop below, so both teams will rest players etc.

Woo hoo, tickets and trip organised. Cant wait, go you mighty catters!

Must be a South Australian Catter reunion this week. :D

I'm an Adelaide ex-pat now living in Sydney, and me and mine are doing the same as you couchy555. All tickets booked (and printed), and ready for our annual pilgrimage to mad marvellous Melbourne (and our first Cats game there in three years not against the Dawks).

Really hanging out for this one.

:thumbsu:

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/117291/default.aspx
Jimmy Bartel (concussion) and James Kelly (ankle) have both overcome the injury problems that forced them to miss the Cats' easy win over Adelaide on Sunday, while Mathew Stokes and Josh Hunt are free to play after serving suspensions.

Big men Brad Ottens and Nathan Vardy, who were both rested last weekend, are also expected to be recalled.
http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/117291/default.aspx

Assuming all six come back then selection is a process of elimination.

Ottens and Vardy in means no place for Simpson or Hawkins, Stokes in (assuming Byrnes also stays) means no place for Motlop, Josh Hunt probably means no place for Gillies, so there's four changes. Bundy will stay, so assuming they want to give Brown another run then you raffle the last two changes as "soreness", which could be any one of a number of players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Chris indicated in his presser that Bartel, Kelly, Ottens, Hunt (J), Stokes and Vardy should be right to go and are presently in our best 22. However, he had a bit each way suggesting they may not all be included this week. I get the impression that at least a couple of the newbies will get another run in the ones.

The way he handles the news hounds is impressive.

payback!:D Bomber Thompson, Tim Watson and his band.....Cats will fair dinkum win this game by over 12 goals. Good chance they decide to have one their long overdue blowout wins and no better team to do so than Essendon. Possible 100 point flogging?

payback!:D Bomber Thompson, Tim Watson and his band.....Cats will fair dinkum win this game by over 12 goals. Good chance they decide to have one their long overdue blowout wins and no better team to do so than Essendon. Possible 100 point flogging?

Geez you're a stirrer bobby boy.:eek:

Have a listen to Chris's presser. He not only pretty much put paid to the revenge element but heaped plenty of praise on Bomber.

Have a listen to Chris's presser. He not only pretty much put paid to the revenge element but heaped plenty of praise on Bomber.

Yes, he's a class act all right. I think Geelong winning game after game after game would already have had its impact on Bomber....a 12 goal drubbing of the Bombers wouldn't change that, or really even add to it.

Scott is dead right to focus on the game at hand and let the press have fun with the side issues.

;):thumbsu:

you don't reckon he's just playing the mind games though? Bomber Thompson did eventually have a few players turn their noses up at him due to certain player's being picked here and there etc. Even though it hasn't quite come out through the media just yet, he did make the decision to move for more dollars and the return of Hird made that decision too good to pass up. The Ablett saga hurt the club and the boys clearly have shown recently that they were always behind the little genius. The older players would definitely feel a sense of anger knowing he has effectively gone to an opposition club and given away the gameplan, players strength/weaknesses along with Brendan McCarthy being coaxed across to windy hill too.
Tim Watson didn't do himself any favours at all and the boys will always hold grudges as any competitive sportsman will.
Regardless of what Scott says..he played the game and uncompromising style and I wouldn't have any doubts he will let the player group know it's time to show the Essendon football club just some of the young talent Thompson could have blooded when he was with them. I just get a feeling they really put in one of those performances that ensures it's killed off early in the match so they then look ahead to the big game at Subiaco the week after.
I mean how will they contain Pods, Stokes, Varcoe, Menzel, Johnson, Vardy or Hawkins, Ottens (when pushed forward), Chappy and even Duncan who's now kicking goals. Add the midfield supply of Ling, Bartel, Corey, Kelly and the emerging star Bundy.........way, way too good and 12+ goals will be the eventual result;)

It would be nice if someone from the Cats cleaned up Monfires. Maybe cave his face in.

If so called "tough man" Lewis wasn't such a thickheaded moron he wouldn't have got sucked in by that actress [he does deserve a thumping].
I wonder if Hawk fans who thought Selwood was a thug now think Lewis,a repeat offender,is a thug.

If so called "tough man" Lewis wasn't such a thickheaded moron he wouldn't have got sucked in by that actress [he does deserve a thumping].
I wonder if Hawk fans who thought Selwood was a thug now think Lewis,a repeat offender,is a thug.

I highly doubt it. After all, they keep defending Matthews hit on Bruns. Anything anyone else in brown and gold does will always be defended by that mob.

I agree (maybe without the terms you used) but it doesnt change my view that Monfries staged when his team was 10 goals down and cost a player week(s). Scumbag

Neither is a thug. Lewis is not a repeat offender, his previous suspension was for a tap and subsequent dive on Pratt and that was years ago. He had no good or bad record prior to today, unfairly maligned as a thug.

Beside the point, I just wanted to sow the seed and hope someone from Geelong smashes Monfries up. Thats all.

Assuming all six come back then selection is a process of elimination.

Ottens and Vardy in means no place for Simpson or Hawkins, Stokes in (assuming Byrnes also stays) means no place for Motlop, Josh Hunt probably means no place for Gillies, so there's four changes. Bundy will stay, so assuming they want to give Brown another run then you raffle the last two changes as "soreness", which could be any one of a number of players.

Gillies will be in the side until after the WCE game.
Makes sense to me anyway

Lonergan/Taylor - Lynch/Kennedy
Scarlo - LeCras
Gillies - Darling
Enright - Schofield

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back