Preview AFL Round 15 - Essendon v Geelong, Etihad Stadium, 7:10PM Saturday 2 July

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gillies will be in the side until after the WCE game.
Makes sense to me anyway

Lonergan/Taylor - Lynch/Kennedy
Scarlo - LeCras
Gillies - Darling
Enright - Schofield

Lynch is out for 2?? or has he appealed and won?

Chris indicated in his presser that Bartel, Kelly, Ottens, Hunt (J), Stokes and Vardy should be right to go and are presently in our best 22. However, he had a bit each way suggesting they may not all be included this week. I get the impression that at least a couple of the newbies will get another run in the ones.

Hogan has had 2 very good games in the magoos now. Deserves a run if we have another case of 'soreness'.

Hogan has had 2 very good games in the magoos now. Deserves a run if we have another case of 'soreness'.

Probably missed too much footy fitness wise, unless he was to be the sub, which is wasting Hoges given when up to speed he has such elite endurance. Better to give him another couple of weeks of full games in the 2's and then bring him in for the Brisbane game, he should be ready by then to play a full AFL game

Probably missed too much footy fitness wise, unless he was to be the sub, which is wasting Hoges given when up to speed he has such elite endurance. Better to give him another couple of weeks of full games in the 2's and then bring him in for the Brisbane game, he should be ready by then to play a full AFL game

Very interesting one with Hogan. Full credit to the lad given that he had to take it upon himself to deal with something very difficult...he seems to have responded in the best way possible, shows a hell of a lot of character!

I think he is still within our plans this year and definitely the future. Has a great tank and can find the inside pill. His Senior games since 09' have been solid, even kicking a few vital goals (remember the Hawthorn (jimmy point) game!). I have always questioned his disposal, and a few others have again brought this up....but he is good enough to overcome a few minor question marks. Without Jimmy, Kelly and Selwood on the weekend it really highlighted the need to have another mature bodied midfielder ready to go...Hogan to me is the logical candidate. If we can sneak him in for a game or two in the next few rounds it might just pay dividends later in the season.

Still, hope he continues on at Geelong for the next few years...whats his contract status?

Saw that too....seems a weird move given Varcoe just returned to some good footy. Must have been a pre-determined plan though.

Hopefully it allows the opportunity for Mitch Brown or Gillies to retain their spots.

Saw that too....seems a weird move given Varcoe just returned to some good footy. Must have been a pre-determined plan though.

Hopefully it allows the opportunity for Mitch Brown or Gillies to retain their spots.

Perfect time to do it IMO. Has played every game this season and gets a rest before playing on the big ground where his run will be important.

it's good to hear Varcoe and Selwood perhaps training together, what better athlete to push yourself to the limit against than Selwood:thumbsu: He's probably one of the guys who could be the ultimate successor in Varcoe's footy and get him to do what Gary Jnr was doing pre-2007 and eventually the post-2007 player we see today.
Ryder surely won't play this weekend? If he does then Ottens will man handle him and push forward at every opportunity. Hird says Ryder is not lazy but you'd only have to look at his body shape and size to see he hasn't added on much muscle between his 1st game and recent game. Hille and Bellchambers will be the two blokes they'd play and can see us taking Ottens and Vardy in which should be a good contest.
Stevie J is just ready to kick a bag of 7 or more goals anytime soon

Bellchambers will ruck, Hille 2nd & push forward.

Two talented kids - Carlisle (stick insect) and Gumbleton (made of paper) - have actually strung together some games in the 2s, so there might (for the first time this year) be some pressure on Paddy's spot.

Is general admission for this game already sold out? I couldn't any information on the subject, but I thought usually public tickets were't sold out so quickly...(mind you, I've never been to Etihad before).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

yeh Gumbleton is one of your best talented players coming through almost similar to Mitch Brown for us. He's like 6ft 6 or 6ft 7 right? Forward player who could really be a massive key position player so you could have Hurley on one side and Gumbleton on the other and get a good partnership going. For me though...it's Essendon's midfield, I just reckon they need another 2 really tough players come through because the backline is solid but you don't need to worry about the backs if the midfield is dominating the centre square clearances. Watson won't play unless his hammy is right and that's the one player Essendon would not want to lose

Is general admission for this game already sold out? I couldn't any information on the subject, but I thought usually public tickets were't sold out so quickly...(mind you, I've never been to Etihad before).
No general admission as it's fully ticketed (ie. all level 3 seats are reserved). Haven't checked the website though.

My workmate (a member) purchased general admission tickets for Level 3 this morning at the club.

yeh Gumbleton is one of your best talented players coming through almost similar to Mitch Brown for us. He's like 6ft 6 or 6ft 7 right? Forward player who could really be a massive key position player so you could have Hurley on one side and Gumbleton on the other and get a good partnership going. For me though...it's Essendon's midfield, I just reckon they need another 2 really tough players come through because the backline is solid but you don't need to worry about the backs if the midfield is dominating the centre square clearances. Watson won't play unless his hammy is right and that's the one player Essendon would not want to lose
We need a lot of work in a lot of areas but mainly, what we do wrong, is not get results from what we do do well.
We've got guys who can win it pretty well; and a few guys who damage with footskills; but nowhere near enough of the latter and precious few with both.
Once you do 80% of the work, and get zero result, and then need to do more chasing, you rapidly find sides which can sit back a bit will have far more in the tank to hit you on the burst - which is what sides have done, swarm off half-back

Whole lot need a teaspoon of HTFU as well, the group's fitness & mentality is shizen, drop off just about every year rd 12 odd.

payback!:D Bomber Thompson, Tim Watson and his band.....Cats will fair dinkum win this game by over 12 goals. Good chance they decide to have one their long overdue blowout wins and no better team to do so than Essendon. Possible 100 point flogging?

They better.

I have to travel home via Essendon station after the game.

As for the "payback" stuff, couldnt care less. I will even shout Bomber a sandwich if he likes- honestly, will not be paying that man any attention.

We need a lot of work in a lot of areas but mainly, what we do wrong, is not get results from what we do do well.
We've got guys who can win it pretty well; and a few guys who damage with footskills; but nowhere near enough of the latter and precious few with both.
Once you do 80% of the work, and get zero result, and then need to do more chasing, you rapidly find sides which can sit back a bit will have far more in the tank to hit you on the burst - which is what sides have done, swarm off half-back

Whole lot need a teaspoon of HTFU as well, the group's fitness & mentality is shizen, drop off just about every year rd 12 odd.

good point and I reckon what you wrote right there is exactly the reason why St Kilda of 2009, Collingwood of today and even Geelong working at it today too are able to beat any team consistently time and time again. The athlete themselves are only a minor part of the eventual machine but it's the desire to work for minimal or no reward at all that counts in the end. A heap of that has to do with fitness and I reckon Essendon may have been overworked pre-season and we are seeing those results now which also effects mental attitude. But it's also a big reason why Essendon will make a late surge at the end of the season and will most likely play finals. Geelong, Collingwood and Hawthorn have 18 players on the field who do all the one percenters that never get recognized on camera or by the media and it's the only reason why they will eventually play in a grand final.
I guess it's like exercise, you work hard running and training but when you get home you gotta eat well too. Very easy to feel satisfied and fill those cravings with greasy junk food when you can have the soups, fish and veggies with eventual longterm effects instead:thumbsu:

no question Essendon can match it with any team in the league as we saw them nearly beat Collingwood earlier but that could also be where the senior players at Geelong and Collingwood really earn their $$$. You reckon after such a tough and grueling pre-season, to finally play the premiers they would have gone into the game really believing they would win it? Losing the game may have had some effect on them mentally and dropped off their intensity since. Senior players have experienced those situations so they rally the young players and move on much more quickly than what a young team like Essendon would have.
Lloyd and Lucas may have been better to hang around the club for another couple of years considering they were still fit enough to keep playing and may have sped up the development for some of these younger players today

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back