Preview AFL Round 15 - Essendon v Geelong, Etihad Stadium, 7:10PM Saturday 2 July

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think this will be the side

FB - Gillies, Lonergan, Scarlett
HB - T.Hunt, Taylor, Enright
M - Mackie, Ling, Wojcinski
HF - SJ, Pods, Chappy
FF - Brown, Vardy, Stokes
FO - Simpson, Bartel, Kelly

INT - Duncan, Christensen, J.Hunt, Byrnes (s)

Corey gets the ol General this week.
Give Otto another week to rest.
Dasher wont play, 2 week achillies according to CS
Brown only named if Menzel isnt 100%

Corey I agree with as he's played every game this year (although Chappy or Pods would also be possibilities).

Resting Otto too before his duel with Cox/Naitanui makes sense.

Don't agree with Byrnes sub again though, we need to help his fitness get up to speed so he should start, and play the full game if he can.

well I dunno about you but I dislike lies and he should have just said I'm stepping away from the Geelong footy club to take up a role at my old home Essendon and it would have ended so much better for everyone.

Oh definately, he could have handled it a lot better than what he did without the lying.
I dont see why he went that way, I dont think anyone would begrudge him leaving to go to another club if he had of been upfront.
Having said that I guess we wont know the whole story or ever find out why it went down like it did - we should just be thankful that our club is much stronger than two people and have well and truly come out the other side in a much much better position!!

But the whole Hird coaching appointment was very strange as a whole and shrouded in lies from a whole bunch of people.
Looks like lying is a culture over at windy hill - fact remains, their performances cant lie!! :D

Oh definately, he could have handled it a lot better than what he did without the lying.
I dont see why he went that way, I dont think anyone would begrudge him leaving to go to another club if he had of been upfront.
Having said that I guess we wont know the whole story or ever find out why it went down like it did - we should just be thankful that our club is much stronger than two people and have well and truly come out the other side in a much much better position!!

But the whole Hird coaching appointment was very strange as a whole and shrouded in lies from a whole bunch of people.
Looks like lying is a culture over at windy hill - fact remains, their performances cant lie!! :D

There's a reason if you speak to an AFL player that the team they most likely hate the most is Essendon.

Far out ticketmaster (and my mates) are jerks. finally work out how many off us are going and they're sold out...again. what's the bet they find more in a couple of hours?

Geelong Cats
B: Josh Hunt, Matthew Scarlett, Tom Lonergan
HB: David Wojcinski, Harry Taylor, Corey Enright
C: Mitch Duncan, James Kelly, Andrew Mackie
HF: Paul Chapman, Nathan Vardy, Allen Christensen
F: Mathew Stokes, James Podsiadly, Steve Johnson
Foll: Brad Ottens, Cameron Ling, Jimmy Bartel
I/C: Joel Corey, Mitch Brown, Steven Motlop, Daniel Menzel

Emg: Tom Hawkins, Tom Gillies, Josh Cowan

In: Jimmy Bartel, Josh Hunt, James Kelly, Brad Ottens, Mathew Stokes, Nathan Vardy

Out: Shannon Byrnes (Hamstring), Tom Hawkins, Travis Varcoe (Soreness), Dawson Simpson, Tom Gillies, Taylor Hunt (Soreness)

Essendon
B: Kyle Hardingham, Dustin Fletcher, Michael Hibberd
HB: Brent Stanton, Tayte Pears, Heath Hocking
C: Brent Prismall, Ben Howlett, Dyson Heppell
HF: Michael Hurley, David Hille, Leroy Jetta
F: Andrew Welsh, Stewart Crameri, Angus Monfries
Foll: Patrick Ryder, Mark McVeigh, David Zaharakis
I/C: Alwyn Davey, Kyle Reimers, Jake Melksham, Travis Colyer

Emg: Ricky Dyson, Tom Bellchambers, Jake Carlisle

In: Kyle Reimers, Travis Colyer, Kyle Hardingham, Stewart Crameri

Out: Sam Lonergan (Knee), Jobe Watson (Hamstring), David Myers (Hamstring), Tom Bellchambers

In: Bartel Kelly Ottens Vardy Josh Hunt Stokes
Out: Byrnes (hamstring) T Hunt (soreness), Varcoe (soreness), Hawkins Simpson Gillies
About what I expected. Ottens must be a certain starter as Dawson is not an emerg-they are Hawkins Gillies and Cowan.

Gillies is unlucky but I expected we wouldn't go in with 4 tall defenders.

THunt with "soreness" is a good move because he has looked tired (and hasn't had a break this year, if you exclude the matches he missed with the knee injury) and we will need his pace on the wide expanses of Subi.

Byrnes with a hamstring is a real worry, maybe we rushed him back too soon? If it's a high grade hammy (i.e. a month) that's going to put him a long way back and make it very hard for him to get into the finals side given how much footy he's missed and the form of the others competing for that spot.

I thought they would keep Motlop with Varcoe heading West. Brown stays instead of Gillies who I thought might stay in for this week and the eagles. The rest are all as expected except for T.Hunt going out. Ah, T.Hunt has the dreaded general soreness.

Rapt to see Stevie Motlop given another chance.
Despite what some on here say, he's worked very hard, deserved his opportunity and really took it with both hands.
Giving him another game will do wonders for his confidence and self belief going into 2012.

Disappointed that we're resting Taylor Hunt but i trust the club to judge the condition of the players and act appropriately.

Very disappointed to hear that Shan Shan has tweaked his hamstring.
Like him or not, i think he adds some much needed energy, movement and verve when on song so hopefully he can get himself right and get a solid month of footy in before finals.

What a team!

A mixture of old school state of origin quality players and youthful exuberance (And Josh Hunt).
lol'd.

Loving the depth this year! Sad to see Byrnes out with hamstring, hope it's not too sinister and he's back for full fitness by finals.

Excited to see Mitch Brown play, haven't watched him yet.

We have them covered anyway, just look at who we've got coming back in!

Us by 8 goals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

is this 2011 team the best-ever in Geelong footy history? We have so many choices and yet we have senior players who could quite easily miss out this week and we still wouldn't know any different. Awesome depth at the moment and we never thought we'd ever replace Ottens and suddenly we have West, Vardy or Simpson at our disposal:eek:

is this 2011 team the best-ever in Geelong footy history? We have so many choices and yet we have senior players who could quite easily miss out this week and we still wouldn't know any different. Awesome depth at the moment and we never thought we'd ever replace Ottens and suddenly we have West, Vardy or Simpson at our disposal:eek:

Best ever team - I would say no

Best ever list - definitely YES!!

What a team!

A mixture of old school state of origin quality players and youthful exuberance (And Josh Hunt).

I guess it must be Josh hunts turn to be whipping boy...even though he has been pretty far king awesome this year and is just about killing able bodied footballers with his slam tackle! Mackie, Lonners and Byrnes are now all favourites!
Great team, little disappointed Gillies didn't get another run round, but Stevie motlop should enjoy the conditions.

Nope; way too early for that talk. Not even sure we're the best side in the comp this year.

I've ranted elsewhere about what I think are little chinks I'd like fixed, and CS has repeatedly noted some areas of our game need changing - particularly around the contest.

For GFC to have gone from ranked 1st for 1%ers in 2007 & 2008, to last this year, is a trend I would like to see reversed. Would also like us not to be last in tackles for much longer either.

Would have liked to see Gillies again as well - but did not expect it.

Motlop I did not expect to get another game.

We are really giving some younger guys a real go - by having Cowan and now Motlop 2 games in a row.

I hope Dawson gets another go in the next month as well.

Go Vardy. Good to see him back as well.

Feel bad for Dawson Simpson, i thought he did a lot of really nice work and took a few strong contested grabs. I can see some teams sniffing around him at the end of this year and if he doesnt get regular senior games its hard to expect him not to go ( Mumford).

So this should probably be for another thread but if teams do try and poach him what could we get for him? Simpson and a first round Pick for Dangerfield would do me just fine.

Feel bad for Dawson Simpson, i thought he did a lot of really nice work and took a few strong contested grabs. I can see some teams sniffing around him at the end of this year and if he doesnt get regular senior games its hard to expect him not to go ( Mumford).

So this should probably be for another thread but if teams do try and poach him what could we get for him? Simpson and a first round Pick for Dangerfield would do me just fine.

I doubt many 2nd string ruckmen will get traded. Most clubs would have at least 2-3 on their list. It's a buyers market.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back