Preview AFL Round 19 - Coll v Essendon Prematch Discussion, DaVe 86's Preview -post 75, Teams - post 119

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ryder will play back, and do a great job of it IMO. He is due for a massive game to make a statement, this will be it. That said, will it be on Cloke? I doubt it, he isn't strong enough. But who else can go with him?

Very unlucky for the Bombers will all their key defenders out. They can still make a game of it in the midfield with Watson back. Still, we should win easily.

Ryder will play back leaving a very small forward line.

Hille & Crameri as focal points. Hille rotating in the ruck with Bellchambers.

We have lost a bit of pace down back with Heater & Toooooooooovves missing.

Rounds will play.

Ugle wont play. I wont rule out Sinclair because gut feel says an injury will keep either Johnno or Daisy out. The other out is anyones guess.

Last few weeks without Dawes, and also with Cloke being in the form of his career, it has appeared to me that at times we have become maybe overly Cloke -centric.

Is not a good thing to become overly predictable...to the point last year the Saints appeared a better side, when Riewoldt was out with his hammy.

Carlton when Fev was on top of his game.

This may have been an issue with the Suns, I'd have to rewatch the game to be sure, but IMO there is a trend starting to emerge.

Will be a point of interest on Sunday.

Agree / disagree??

Last few weeks without Dawes, and also with Cloke being in the form of his career, it has appeared to me that at times we have become maybe overly Cloke -centric.

Is not a good thing to become overly predictable...to the point last year the Saints appeared a better side, when Riewoldt was out with his hammy.

Carlton when Fev was on top of his game.

This may have been an issue with the Suns, I'd have to rewatch the game to be sure, but IMO there is a trend starting to emerge.

Agree / disagree??

Disagree. All year our forward entries - with the exception of fast break turn overs have consisted of bombing it long and quick.

Agree / disagree??
I agree, but only since Dawes has been missing.

Without Dawes, we really do not have too many options, and if anything Lachie Keefe last week provided an option for the first time since Dawesy.

Leigh Brown has been struggling, I would have thought he would have stepped up with the absence of Dawes, but maybe he plays better as the 3rd tall anyway.

Dawes said on the Footy Show just then he wants to come back after 2 more weeks off, so that would bring him back against the Saints at Etihad.:)

Is not a good thing to become overly predictable.

Agree / disagree??

disagree swoop.

we have a squad which is clearly confident in its abilities. a group who have sufficient confidence that when attacking, from any part of the field, have belief in the game plan and those around them to run ahead of the ball, to apply pressure, to gather the ball. kicking to cloke, the best contested mark in the game by a margin, therefore sees multiple options going in for the ground ball, or defending it within the forward line, or forcing a throw in with great onballers likely to win the contest.

when you have the best on field team, such practices arent dangerous.

the saints had insufficient backup at ground level, on ball & defensively to take advantage like we can. the other teams likewise.

when you hold all the aces, play like such. no reason to fear our opponents. play the game plan and allow destiny to rule. :D

Beams back, hoorah. Cloke is going to be licking his chops for this game, real shame we don't have Dawes back yet perfect opportunity for him to dominate a game as well. The In Black and White Tonight show is becoming a pretty interesting thing now, they have Micks daughter (derp) doing the news and Eddies got himself involved as well. Now all they need to do is get it a spot on the new Fox Footy channel. ;)

Beams back, hoorah. Cloke is going to be licking his chops for this game, real shame we don't have Dawes back yet perfect opportunity for him to dominate a game as well. The In Black and White Tonight show is becoming a pretty interesting thing now, they have Micks wife doing the news and Eddies got himself involved as well. Now all they need to do is get it a spot on the new Fox Footy channel. ;)

That's Christi , Micks daughter :p

The In Black and White Tonight show is becoming a pretty interesting thing now, they have Micks wife doing the news and Eddies got himself involved as well. Now all they need to do is get it a spot on the new Fox Footy channel. ;)

That's Christi , Micks daughter :p

Oh Zahki, you made my night, haven't laughed so hard in ages, Micks wife, HAHA.:D

But yes, the show is getting better, and apparently Collingwood and Essendon will use Foxtel's Melbourne studios next year to produce their weekly shows, and with a 24 hour channel, you would think Fox would jump at the chance to show both teams shows at some time during the week.:)

Edit: Just watched this weeks video, we have already moved into the Foxtel studios, wow.

Agree with those disagreeing with Swoop on being too Cloke-centric.

In the couple of games at the G without Dawes I think we went to Cloke as we normally would and were able to get a good spread of goalkickers.
I don't think the GC game was impressive overall, I didn't get the feel that we were too predictable though, if we had of played to our best we would have won by a lot more. I'll stand corrected though because it's always much harder to assess the games on TV v being there live. Some of the camera angles weren't that easy on the eye either.

I see us returning to us having a big spread of goalkickers this week v Ess especially with their undermanned backline.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oops, you're right. Thats what I get for my constant tabbing back and forth.

I don't think the GC game was impressive overall, I didn't get the feel that we were too predictable though, if we had of played to our best we would have won by a lot more.

Huh? Didn't we have 11 goal kickers before half time against Gold Coast?

Appears that the coaching department has conceded this week - Probably bring Fletcher and Hurley next week against the Swans - Think they are minor injuries.

Expect with 3 rucks named that Ryder will play on Cloke.

Can't think of other options.

Huh? Didn't we have 11 goal kickers before half time against Gold Coast?

I'll take your word on that, even with your recent mixup ;) The 1st half certainly was the better one for us.

Yeah, guess I should have said continue our trend of a long list of goal kickers and get back to putting in a solid 4 qtr performance

What you said also adds to the fact that we are not too Cloke-centric I feel, the reason we didn't put 4 qtrs together against GC was not due to predictability, just a lesser standard across the board (and GC playing well).

Whether it's Ryder, Carlisle, or Myers against Cloke as long as he gets enough 1 on 1 chances and good delivery to his leads he should have a day out.

I can't help but feel the only reason Ryder's name is being suggested his is experience over the other 2 options, none of them really have the required skills to match him 1 on 1 consistently. If they try to cover Cloke with numbers it should free up our other forwards, hopefully we will see a big score.

Looks like it's going to be perfect weather for the game on Sunday also, can't wait!

disagree swoop.

we have a squad which is clearly confident in its abilities. a group who have sufficient confidence that when attacking, from any part of the field, have belief in the game plan and those around them to run ahead of the ball, to apply pressure, to gather the ball. kicking to cloke, the best contested mark in the game by a margin, therefore sees multiple options going in for the ground ball, or defending it within the forward line, or forcing a throw in with great onballers likely to win the contest.

when you have the best on field team, such practices arent dangerous.

the saints had insufficient backup at ground level, on ball & defensively to take advantage like we can. the other teams likewise.

when you hold all the aces, play like such. no reason to fear our opponents. play the game plan and allow destiny to rule. :D

I like it!! It is easy for me to forget in Canada how good we actually are at the moment. Reigning Premiers and sitting on top and for the most part easily accounting for everyone this year.

The thought of actually going back to back is making me giddy!!

Beams back, hoorah. Cloke is going to be licking his chops for this game, real shame we don't have Dawes back yet perfect opportunity for him to dominate a game as well. The In Black and White Tonight show is becoming a pretty interesting thing now, they have Micks daughter (derp) doing the news and Eddies got himself involved as well. Now all they need to do is get it a spot on the new Fox Footy channel. ;)

The show was 20 minutes long and really good. Eddie just loves us doesn't he....

I like watching the show, it is a thursday morning ritual now.

Re: R19 Match Preview: Collingwood v Essendon

The Wrap-Up
As I said earlier, Collingwood is not playing its best football just yet, but will look to continually build towards finals. This could be a sneaky opportunity for Essendon to cause an upset before the Pies look to hit peak form. However, the Bombers look undermanned on paper and will have to play four quarters of relentless football just to remain competitive.

I think the game could go much the same as it did in round five. The Bombers will push, but the Pies will be too strong as the match goes on. I can’t see the Essendon defence stopping Travis Cloke, and Collingwood’s midfield should run rampant without taggers like Hocking and Welsh to shut them down.

I’ve been pretty close with my margins over the last two weeks.

Pies by 23
You missed a zero.

Agree / disagree??
I disagree. Try 'weather' or 'styles of hat amongst the crowd' for points of interest, I doubt the game will provide many.

I hope we have quite a few.
Watson & Fletcher, obviously.
And Hocking has proved even more crucial than either of those two, organising around the stoppages and adding a hard defensive edge.
Get those 3 back, it might be a game for at least a half or three quarters.

Without them, we'll be right up against it.
Gawd.
With 4 guys they wouldn't have envisaged getting any seniors action, and another 2 with 'in case of emergency only' stamped on them in the squad of 25, to get within 8 goals will be a damned good effort.

The squad is down to bare bones.
Haven't been this down going into a game all year, not even Geelong - and I thought that'd be 10 goals.

Wrapt to see Beamsy back in the side.

That Essendon side is terrible. We SHOULD belt them.

Both sides obviously have a few players out.

The real worry for Essendon is obviously their lack of KPP.... really will miss Hurley and Fletcher.

On a side note - looking forward to seeing the following names being introduced to the side in the coming weeks in lead up to finals:

Dawes, Didak, Wellingham, Toovey, Shaw.

Tough at the selection commitee.

The selected 22 have been named, with no real surprises.:)

http://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/newsfeatures/news/newsarticle/tabid/5586/newsid/119736/default.aspx

Collingwood
B:
Leon Davis, Ben Reid, Harry O'Brien
HB: Brent Macaffer, Nick Maxwell, Tyson Goldsack
C: Dane Swan, Dale Thomas, Simon Buckley
HF: Jarryd Blair, Chris Tarrant, Andrew Krakouer
F: Steele Sidebottom, Travis Cloke, Leigh Brown
Foll: Darren Jolly, Scott Pendlebury, Luke Ball
Int: Dayne Beams, Lachlan Keeffe, Ben Johnson, Alex Fasolo

In: Jolly, Beams
Out: Wood, McCarthy (omitted)

Milestone: Darren Jolly - 200 AFL games