Game Day AFL Round 2 - Matchday Discussion Collingwood@Richmond(MCG – 7:20PM)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was only five months ago that one of the most stunning upsets in finals history occurred. Coming into the first preliminary final in 2018, many thought, including Richmond supporters, that Richmond would have an easy Collingwood managed to stun a confident Richmond outfit. Few gave the Magpies a chance going into the game, but Mason Cox had other ideas, proving to be the key difference in the first half, helping Collingwood gain a 50 point lead, and ultimately a ticket to the 2018 Grand Final. Heading into their clash at the MCG, the Tigers will be out for revenge against the Magpies.

Both teams put in rather lackluster performances last week. For Richmond, were brilliant in the first quarter, but in their last three quarters they were rather average, with Carlton managing to close the gap to two goals, before the Tigers pulled away in the last quarter. For Collingwood, they will be bitterly disappointed how they played the Cats. Their finishing skills as well as their entry inside 50 left much to be desired.

Collingwood
At times, Collingwood looked like a top tier when moving forward, however these moments were few and far between, as Geelong’s swarming style seemed to nullify any quick paced Collingwood movement, and would ultimately cost Collingwood the game. Collingwood’s entries inside 50 were messy, and their finishing in front of goal also needs plenty of work. Collingwood’s two big inclusions, Darcy Moore and Jamie Elliott were the shining lights for the Magpies against Geelong. Moore looked right at home in defense, while Elliott was outstanding in the forward line. Collingwood fans will be hoping that these two will not only retain this high level of play, but manage to stay out on the field.

The player to watch for Collingwood is Mason Cox. After a brilliant finish to 2018, the focus on Cox was well and truly amplified coming into the 2019 season. However, his performance against the Cats was a step down. Coming into this game against the Tigers, Cox will be helped by the fact that Rance will not be playing, leaving the Richmond backline shorthanded. Collingwood’s scoring was somewhat of a problem in round one, and Cox will need to become a factor in the Collingwood forward line if they are to win.

Richmond
Despite being the most dominant side when playing in Victoria for the 2018 season, and being very confident heading in the preliminary final, Richmond were well and truly humbled by a Collingwood side who was better on the day. Now, the Tigers will be out to avenge this loss, and make a move for another premiership. Like their opponent, Richmond were rather average against their round one opponent in Carlton. However, unlike Collingwood, the Tigers managed to get the win with a strong fourth quarter performance. Richmond’s fourth quarter could be the difference maker in this match up. When these two sides met in the home and away season, Collingwood was well and truly in the game at three quarter time, but the Tigers always pulled away for a comfortable win. However, Collingwood were too far in front at three quarter time for the Tigers to mount a comeback. If the game is close at three quarter time, expect the Tigers to pull away in the fourth.

The entire Richmond backline will be the ones to watch this week. With Rance out for the season, and Garthwaite not fit enough to come back into the side, the Richmond side will be shorthanded to stop a strong Collingwood forward line, in particular Mason Cox who tore the Richmond defense apart in that famous final. Dylan Grimes and Vlastuin will be the key defenders for Richmond, with Ellis likely to be a factor if he is included in the side after a strong performance in the VFL on the weekend.

Head to Head odds

Richmond: $1.90
Collingwood: $1.90

Changes

Richmond
IN
Oleg Markov, Jason Castagna, Brandon Ellis

OUT
Bachar Houli (Injured), Alex Rance (Injured), Noah Balta (Omitted)

Collingwood

IN
Levi Greenwood

OUT
Callum L. Brown (Omitted)

TV

Live on Fox Footy, Commercial Free
Live on Channel 7, National

Radio

3AW
ABC
MMM
SEN

IPTV

AFL Live Pass
Foxtel Now
WatchAFL
Kayo Sports
Tip

This is a very tough match to tip. For Collingwood, many aren’t sure as to whether they’ll be able to recapture their strong form from their back half of 2018. However, many also think that the Magpies have been able to work Richmond’s game plan out. Expect a close one.

Tigers by three points.

The Tiges gave us our most sparkly highlight last year, and I suppose they've been nursing some negative thoughts about avenging that fine day, but I've got a feeling they might be disappointed. Or maybe I'm deluded. In any case I don't think I'm mentally ready to walk out of the MCG a loser twice in the space of less than a week, and so I'm tipping:

- Mihocek to get off the leash with a bag of 5;
- JDG to create some mayhem from the middle;
- Pies off to a nervous start, followed by solid 2nd and brilliant 3rd quarter, even in the last;
- Collingwood by 19 pts at the final siren.

Odds sure have changed since the teams came out..
Not too much tbh. Richmond were slight favorites at $1.85. Would not be surprised if we're favorites come the first bounce.

Doesn't make me anymore confident though

Not too much tbh. Richmond were slight favorites at $1.85. Would not be surprised if we're favorites come the first bounce.

Doesn't make me anymore confident though
Same. Last time we were favourites.. --- actually last two; didn't work out so well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Last week's lethargic performance knocked a bit of confidence out of me for sure.

You can definitely spin the story to say we got lucky last year and rounds 1-8 this year will expose where we are really at, but I don't fully subscribe to that line of thinking. I think we have a good list and a system that seems to work - there is no reason why we shouldn't be competitive.

Last edited:
There is a few things that I want to see improved on in this game firstly I felt that a couple of our lads did not go hard enough at the contests. Secondly when we have the ball in our open 50 don't try to be unselfish take the opportunity and lastly our accuracy at goal simply has to improve I'm hoping last week was a one off and am looking for vast improvement in our better players go pies

Yeah that's what I reckon. They're a match, they go about it similar.
Funny, I always think of Greenwood as an in your face type.
Cotchin on the other hand, you need eyes in the back of your head.

If we lift defensive presssure and skill level to last years standard will win the game. Fingers crossed last week was just an off night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back