Preview AFL Round 4 - Geelong v North Melbourne, Simonds Stadium, 3:20PM Sunday 26 April

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
What has happened to Bastinac? I remember when GWS were coming he was talked about as a big target for them wasn't he?

He seems to have gone backwards since

Not wanting to highjack your thread, but dunno. Maybe we thought his early form would progress as he got fitter and stronger.

Has stagnated unfortunately.

Not wanting to highjack your thread, but dunno. Maybe we thought his early form would progress as he got fitter and stronger.

Has stagnated unfortunately.

He apparently played a run with last week in teh second half, I haven't had the chance to watch the replay.

I reckon hes a victim of not having a defined role and being a bit of a bits and pieces guy.

wow.. Hats off to the Roo Boy posters. You guys are alright...
Best pre game discussion with opposition supporters I have seen on here in quite some time.
Too right, such a contrast to the trolling by a certain drop kick last week from the west. I am unused to seeing such a reasonable and informed discussion with opposition fans prior to a game,:thumbsu:

I entered this thread almost thinking I was on the Nth board. Their supporters have a swagger about them that I haven't seen before. Not arrogance, but one which suggests they know Geelong are on its knees.

I know I'm not alarmed with the mounting injury list. Those injured apart from Domsey are on there last legs anyway... an injection of youth and toughness is what we need.

I can't see Hawk playing for at least another 2 weeks maybe more based on what I've been told about his state of mind... give him time.

It allows Walker to be given another chance... he was good last week. The kids are looking good and need to be blooded for the future.

A win's a bonus.

I'm not expecting a win this weekend (although it is possible) but I'll be disappointed if we can't continue to show the fight and character that we displayed in the 2nd half of the GC game. Efforts like that are terrific but if we don't go on to use it as a building block and decide to pick and choose when we're going to give that sort of effort then it will end up counting for very little.

With the likely scenario of 5 of our 30+ players not playing in this game it should give us a good glimpse into the future and hopefully our younger blokes can stand up for the 2nd week in a row.

Build or break? That is the challenge that our club faces this week.

I entered this thread almost thinking I was on the Nth board. Their supporters have a swagger about them that I haven't seen before. Not arrogance, but one which suggests they know Geelong are on its knees.

I know I'm not alarmed with the mounting injury list. Those injured apart from Domsey are on there last legs anyway... an injection of youth and toughness is what we need.

I can't see Hawk playing for at least another 2 weeks maybe more based on what I've been told about his state of mind... give him time.

It allows Walker to be given another chance... he was good last week. The kids are looking good and need to be blooded for the future.

A win's a bonus.

Are we predicting a win?

Love seeing an injection of players that should be getting games to speed up there development mainly at the expense of Stokes and a fee others.

Are we predicting a win?

Love seeing an injection of players that should be getting games to speed up there development mainly at the expense of Stokes and a fee others.
Put it this way, we're better off playing some kids who'll show some ticker rather than old bodies going through the motions.

Can we win? Certainly.

Will we win? That's up to the players whether they want it enough.

In short, we're in a better position with the injuries we've copped if that makes sense.

Put it this way, we're better off playing some kids who'll show some ticker rather than old bodies going through the motions.

Can we win? Certainly.

Will we win? That's up to the players whether they want it enough.

In short, we're in a better position with the injuries we've copped if that makes sense.

Playing a higher percentage a younger guys is good . I think we should start thinking in terms of underdog V the top 4 to 6 sides. Yes we can win but the bookies will probably say we are not favourites.

Playing a higher percentage a younger guys is good . I think we should start thinking in terms of underdog V the top 4 to 6 sides. Yes we can win but the bookies will probably say we are not favourites.
Forget about this season and prepare for the future is what I was implying. Yes we can make the 8, and yes we can surprise a few sides... we will not win the flag, and this is why those injuries will be a godsend. Hungry kids gaining exposure and developing for the future. Blokes like Thurlow, Bews, Walker etc should have been playing consistent footy well before this season.

I'm excited for these kids and think they'll give it a decent crack on Sunday. They should be playing constantly regardless of whether Mackie, Bartel and the like are available.

I rated NM highly last season, but really the loss of Greenwood, and Ziebell this week if n/a, and maybe Wells, and Hansen missing does make it a closer contest.
The way they played Port was super-impressive, but so was our 2nd/2.
This could be our closest encounter yet, and we've had a few.

Forget about this season and prepare for the future is what I was implying. Yes we can make the 8, and yes we can surprise a few sides... we will not win the flag, and this is why those injuries will be a godsend. Hungry kids gaining exposure and developing for the future. Blokes like Thurlow, Bews, Walker etc should have been playing consistent footy well before this season.

I'm excited for these kids and think they'll give it a decent crack on Sunday. They should be playing constantly regardless of whether Mackie, Bartel and the like are available.

Agree

Id put it slightly differently , but I agree with the essence.
Dont forget about the season , play each game to win but select for the future as much as the now.
Yes we can make the 8 by playing more of the mature group , but we can make the 8 playing a younger group as well. Some may rightfully say we would benefit from a year near the bottom due to earlier picks... but games like last Sun , when the team we have wins , and build a winning culture is more important getting call a name 5 minutes earlier.
We have been diligent in the selections we have had , we been proficient in their development and now we have several who are ready to play and more importantly need to play. Selection this week should be informative.

He apparently played a run with last week in teh second half, I haven't had the chance to watch the replay.

I reckon hes a victim of not having a defined role and being a bit of a bits and pieces guy.
Would you accept a 2nd rounder for him at the end of the year?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Id put it slightly differently , but I agree with the essence.
Dont forget about the season , play each game to win but select for the future as much as the now.
Yes we can make the 8 by playing more of the mature group , but we can make the 8 playing a younger group as well. Some may rightfully say we would benefit from a year near the bottom due to earlier picks... but games like last Sun , when the team we have wins , and build a winning culture is more important getting call a name 5 minutes earlier.
We have been diligent in the selections we have had , we been proficient in their development and now we have several who are ready to play and more importantly need to play. Selection this week should be informative.
Yes we can make the 8 playing the younger guys. Who stepped up when needed against the Suns besides Selwood? It was Blicavs, Bews, Thurlow, Walker and Gregson... hungry kids who are hellbent on keeping their spot. I also thought Cockatoo was good when he came on... endeavor and ferociousness at the contest. We we poor and sloppy before the injuries.

The older guys to me seem to be going through the motions... lack that drive and hunger.

I rated NM highly last season, but really the loss of Greenwood, and Ziebell this week if n/a, and maybe Wells, and Hansen missing does make it a closer contest.
The way they played Port was super-impressive, but so was our 2nd/2.
This could be our closest encounter yet, and we've had a few.

I'm worried about Cunnington. I think he will do a Fyfe on us pretty much do as he pleases. Luckily, he's not as devastating as Fyfe but he's still going to gather over 30 touches and have upwards of 7 or more clearances. That is going to be telling.
Can Caddy finally have a massive game?

I'm worried about Cunnington. I think he will do a Fyfe on us pretty much do as he pleases. Luckily, he's not as devastating as Fyfe but he's still going to gather over 30 touches and have upwards of 7 or more clearances. That is going to be telling.
Bastinac is the worry. Kills us almost every time from memory. Seems to step up a notch when he plays Geelong.

I'm fairly sure he snagged 4 goals and played his career defining game against us at one stage... I could have my wires crossed.

Y
The older guys to me seem to be going through the motions... lack that drive and hunger.

not sure they lack drive or hunger, just think the game has evolved so quickly this past decade that they are now looking average against most of the younger blokes in the game today.
People believed Bartel back into the middle was going to be a booster, truth be told, all midfielders today are bigger than Jimmy, and they are a lot more explosive too.
Enright is the most worrying. His decline has been pretty rapid. It's now getting to the point in which his disposal efficiency is suffering because everything is rushed.

not sure they lack drive or hunger, just think the game has evolved so quickly this past decade that they are now looking average against most of the younger blokes in the game today.
People believed Bartel back into the middle was going to be a booster, truth be told, all midfielders today are bigger than Jimmy, and they are a lot more explosive too.
Enright is the most worrying. His decline has been pretty rapid. It's now getting to the point in which his disposal efficiency is suffering because everything is rushed.
Couldn't agree more in hindsight, and Boris looks cooked.

Agree, and Gibson is another who destroyed us in the final.
He's having a solid season thus far, averaging 28 disposals, 5 clearances, 1 goal assist and just under 1 goal per game.
He's an underrated type who continues to fly under the radar and gather the ball at will... good player and the one who I'd employ somebody to play a close checking role on. He'll hurt us otherwise.

Cunners hasn't had the greatest of starts to the year.

Just an update for you guys, Petrie said today that Ziebell is "better than a 50-50 chance of playing". Not sure what to make of that. Any news on Lonergan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back