Preview AFL Round 4 - Geelong v North Melbourne, Simonds Stadium, 3:20PM Sunday 26 April

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I rated NM highly last season, but really the loss of Greenwood, and Ziebell this week if n/a, and maybe Wells, and Hansen missing does make it a closer contest.
The way they played Port was super-impressive, but so was our 2nd/2.
This could be our closest encounter yet, and we've had a few.

They should be a serious contender , and that means beating a group like ours. I think the media are finally getting of the not the team they were stuff , as they realise that its not just words , we are totally different group thats regenerating and are probably not in the top group. We have played pretty ordinary 2and1/2 games but started to turn it round. How far can a real good win take a lot of young players?

Put it this way, we're better off playing some kids who'll show some ticker rather than old bodies going through the motions.

Can we win? Certainly.

Will we win? That's up to the players whether they want it enough.

In short, we're in a better position with the injuries we've copped if that makes sense.

No - i disagree with that - Geelong showed terrific spirit in that 2nd half against Gold Coast

But effort will only take you so far - Geelong could be as switched on and desperate to the hilt - but if they played Hawthorn Freo and Sydney for the next 10 weeks - they wouldnt beat them once - because talent wise at present their not good enough

I was happy beating Gold Coast- especially seeing some of the young players go well - but there were a few alarming stats - the inside 50s were 65 to 45 The SUNS way - and at one point in the 3rd qtr - they were 13 inside 50s to the GC - for no score - to Geelongs 4 inside 50s - for 4 straight goals ! - if Nth melb repeat those stats - god help Geelong

I think the bookies have got it Right - $1.65 Nth MELB $2.20 Geelong - thats about a 4-5 goal margin - not impossible for the Cats - but they would have to improve/step up from the Gold Coast performance

I'd settle for 4 solid quarters at this stage.
We are a long way from this...
I think we need someone to knock him on the head just before he runs out, then stick a bandage on him. Seems like the medics are sticking some sort of remote control embedded in the bandages that he and Selwood wear, and it bypasses their brain. See. Ball. Get. Ball. Kick. Ball.

So nobody thinks we'll bring in McIntosh or Simpson to take on Goldstein? Stanley can't do it all on his own.

If Hawkins misses, I wouldn't mind seeing Clark/Walker up forward and McIntosh/Stanley in the ruck.
No. Stanley's got the talent and now the body to be a number 1 ruck. He's genuinely built now. It's time to make it happen.
Why would you play McIntosh an extra tall in wet conditions doesn't make sense? I think we'll see Gore come in (finally), I hope Smedts doesn't come in but Scott loves him so he probably will, GHS will surely get a run too.

Why would you play McIntosh an extra tall in wet conditions doesn't make sense? I think we'll see Gore come in (finally), I hope Smedts doesn't come in but Scott loves him so he probably will, GHS will surely get a run too.
In my opinion, McIntosh is Gone, watching him over the past month, he just cant do it anymore, I reckon his legs a shot. Its a shame because I thought he was a good get at the time we got him, but the injuries have been telling. Maybe I'm wrong and he will make a contribution this year, lets live in hope.

Article in the Herald Sun mentioned Hawkins wants to play this week but the club will make a call later on in the week.

Impossible to pick the side with so many doubtful players, just one thing I'm hoping for though.

A few of us were surprised (to put it mildly) that Murdoch got the nod ahead of GHS last week and were told (correctly) that it was about team structure, so this week I hope the MC do something really radical, something that hasn't been tried in over one hundred years of footy, and that's pick players on form and stuff team structure.

In my opinion, McIntosh is Gone, watching him over the past month, he just cant do it anymore, I reckon his legs a shot. Its a shame because I thought he was a good get at the time we got him, but the injuries have been telling. Maybe I'm wrong and he will make a contribution this year, lets live in hope.

Tallied 14 disposals, 32 hit-outs and five clearances against Werribee. Presumably in only part of the game on the ball, with Simpson also playing.

I'm worried about Cunnington. I think he will do a Fyfe on us pretty much do as he pleases. Luckily, he's not as devastating as Fyfe but he's still going to gather over 30 touches and have upwards of 7 or more clearances. That is going to be telling.
Can Caddy finally have a massive game?

I don't think it's that Caddy or anyone else has to have a massive game; they just all need to contribute. We still have the incurable urge to want one player to become a star, or dominate, or whatever. While that would be nice, I don't want to put pressure on Caddy or Guthrie or anyone else. If they can keep improving, I think we'll see the results.

I don't think it's that Caddy or anyone else has to have a massive game; they just all need to contribute. We still have the incurable urge to want one player to become a star, or dominate, or whatever. While that would be nice, I don't want to put pressure on Caddy or Guthrie or anyone else. If they can keep improving, I think we'll see the results.

Exactly. Great thing about the 07-10 years was that we had Ablett who was the star, then throw in Bartel who was also a star, but then you have Kelly, Ling & Corey rounding out an amazing midfield.

For us this year, Selwood is the star, and we just need an all round good midfield. Obviously not expecting to win Premiership though that is why we have to work on that depth.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What I'd like to see.

FB: Bews - Kolo - Enright
HB: Thurlow - Taylor - Guthrie
C: Duncan - Selwood - Motlop
HF: Johnson - Clarke - Gregson
FF: Cockatoo - Hawkins - Lang
R: Stanley - Selwood - Blicavs
B: Walker - Smedts - GHS (Gore)

I've probably Forgotten someone.

If Hawkins doesn't get up, then we should have small reshuffle, and bring gore into the starting 22, with Blease as the Sub.

If that happens though I would probably pick rivers over Kolo, just so we're not starting with 2 first gamers.

If Hawkins wants to play, then why the hell does the club need to "make a call" on it.

The article says he has not trained since last Tuesday. He would be missing all the team meetings etc. Its a tough one.

I just got my tickets - have not been to Skilled for a long time. I saw the ponchos going on when it rained last week - do they sell them at the game? Or do you pick them up before? Weather is looking terrible.

The article says he has not trained since last Tuesday. He would be missing all the team meetings etc. Its a tough one.

I just got my tickets - have not been to Skilled for a long time. I saw the ponchos going on when it rained last week - do they sell them at the game? Or do you pick them up before? Weather is looking terrible.

Why don't you just bring a rain coat?

What I'd like to see.

FB: Bews - Kolo - Enright
HB: Thurlow - Taylor - Guthrie
C: Duncan - Selwood - Motlop
HF: Johnson - Clarke - Gregson
FF: Cockatoo - Hawkins - Lang
R: Stanley - Selwood - Blicavs
B: Walker - Smedts - GHS (Gore)

I've probably Forgotten someone.

If Hawkins doesn't get up, then we should have small reshuffle, and bring gore into the starting 22, with Blease as the Sub.

If that happens though I would probably pick rivers over Kolo, just so we're not starting with 2 first gamers.

Kolo will get smashed by NM's tall forwards.
Not the game for him to debut IMO.
I am all for rewarding great VFL performances, but not to completely shatter the blokes confidence.

Really? I wear one all the time. I guess I'm the weirdo then.

If you're really worried (I've done this before) you can always cut head and arm holes out of garbage bags. Works pretty well, then if there are no ponchos at the ground atleast you have a back up.

Kolo will get smashed by NM's tall forwards.
Not the game for him to debut IMO.
I am all for rewarding great VFL performances, but not to completely shatter the blokes confidence.

Fair call, I have mixed feelings both ways. I certainly won't be unhappy if he is left out at Rivers expense. Maybe I shouldn't be so confident in his(Kolo) ability.

Can't see us getting within five goals.

Completely honestly.

Hard to disagree. And if the numbers we put up last week on I50, clearance and contested possession differentials are replicated (difficult circumstances during that game notwithstanding), we will probably get trounced by more than five goals in my view.

I'll also be surprised if "the damage" isn't done in some short, sharp stint somewhere along the way where we concede a stack of goals unanswered in less than half a quarter of footy.

Seems to be our game style these days.

Despite my dire prognostications, I'm hoping to be very pleasantly surprised instead.

Although the evidence supporting the case for the contrary positive viewpoint about our chances is pretty limited, to say the least.

Last edited:
Article in the Herald Sun mentioned Hawkins wants to play this week but the club will make a call later on in the week.
might as well get back if he is able. His first game back will be his toughest. Not wishing to sound harsh but doing the familiar things will stop him brooding and, from all accounts, things will be difficult for him for quite a long time in this respect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back