Preview AFL Round 5 - Collingwood v Essendon - Changes and Prematch Discussion - Team # 236

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: AFL Round 5 - Collingwood v Essendon - Changes and Prematch Discussion

I say we just upgrade Caolan Mooney now and get him tagging. This may sound like sarcasm, but i tell you what - I would love to see us try it.

His fitness isnt good enough, and his confidence would get shot. He'd also prob get injured tonnes in the AFL, super pace, low understanding and very heavy bodies = bad combo. Lets be patient with him, he needs to put on some weight, but i would love to see him play afl this year. As a small forward though, provide HUGE pressure. Plus his marking and kicking are good.

Hey lads, with rain forecast tomorrow do think it favors you guys
or the bummers?

Good luck for tomorrow!

It's tough to measure with all the players who will be missing from both sides, once again we'll have to wait and see the final teams.

We are missing probably our two best wet weather footballers in Dale Thomas and Luke Ball, so from that point of view I'd prefer if it wasn't wet.

But on the other hand I think we are still a better contested ball winning team then the Bombers, even with each teams respective outs, so we should still be better in the wet then them.

Here's the current forecast, doesn't seem so bad anyway;

Wednesday 25 April

Summary
rain.png
Min 10Max 17Rain easing. Melbourne area

Cloudy. Rain, easing to scattered showers around midday. Winds southwesterly up to 35 km/h.

:)

You'd have to think that anything to limit the bombers spread would work in our favour...

In saying that, their small forward line could be an assett in the wet.

I say we just upgrade Caolan Mooney now and get him tagging. This may sound like sarcasm, but i tell you what - I would love to see us try it.

Mooney was barely sighted in the first half of the VFL game on Saturday. He looks to have a lot of learning to do, and he isn't going to come on as fast as Marty Clarke.

It is a massive game for us. Really a must win given our start to the season, and with all the inexperience we have, and the stars we will have missing it is going to be tough.
Didak and Brown in would help a little.
Really would like to see somebody play close to Jobe Watson. He is a star in close, just about the best in the league. We need to have a body at him at all stoppages. I'm not really sure whether we have a player to do it, but if we dont he will be their kickstart if they are to get going. I think the job should be given to Wellingham for best part of the day.
Let Stanton run with Pendles or Swan (whoever Hocking doesn't take) but we must have a shutdown on Watson, especially with the way Ryder is bound to smash us at centre bounces.
Bellchambers will take first ruck - whenever he's in they give him plenty of time, to develop. Ryder FF/2nd ruck - and he's not half the player down there. Certainly our rucks have been very important. I don't think one hard tag either way will make all that much of a difference. All about winning the ball IMHO. Blues allowed us a free man in the backline for large patches, don't think Pies will do that.
Hurley's a big out, but quite often we play better with a shorter, more mobile line-up. Will make us a bit more reliant on Ryder & Crameri, and possibly easier for the Pies medium defenders to predict.

Can't tip this one.
Definitely have to be wary of the Pies, they *are* better than they're showing, but I can't tell when exactly they're going to click into gear, and where it's coming from.
Quite often these games can go a bit differently to ladder position would lead you to suggest, and wet weather just throws another thing into the mix. Ground-level pluggers like Lonergan should come into the game, with no Ball I think we might ahve the edge in the clearance department, but our gameplan hasn't really stood up in the wet (GC almost had us, in the rain).
Don't think I've ever seen Pendlebury play badly against us, definitely the danger man from my POV.

Re: Changes for ANZAC Day

Not sure if any Bombers guys know their likely ins and outs.

Hurley out with a hammy? Any ins likely?

Dempsey must have been close today, but didn't play, so he'll very possibly be an in.
NFI Bruce, will all come down to fitness, who has knocks etc.
Our club's injury reports are now being written by Kim Jong Il's old information minister. EVERYONE FIT! NO ONE MISSING! YOU CHEER! YOU NO ASK QUESTIONS!

They rested a handful from the VFL - Carlisle - tall skinny CHF/CHB; Steinberg (yet to debut) medium size marking forward; Davis (yet to debut) big bodied tagger/backman; Baguley (yet to debut) little mature age back pocket player; possibly Reimers (everyone's favourite chipscab!) as well, although he might just be injured.
Dempsey will have to get through a fitness test (Dyson would go out)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The twittered training report also names Marley Williams, who did not play VFL on Saturday, as training with the senior group. How exciting if he is promoted and named in the team. Ugle also did not play VFL. No team named yet.

Is it 6.25pm on ch7 again? What a long wait.

Collingwood_FC Selection news: Nathan Brown (@njbrown16) will play on ANZAC Day says @ncb_cfc in his presser. Several more changes expected. #gopies

I smell a Rookie Elevation or 2

god I've been loving this attitude all year :thumbsu:
You mean all week.

You beat North (luckily), Port and the Gold Coast, it's not like any of those teams went in thinking "we should beat Essendon".

You got lucky last week, Carlton did underestimate you, but the day itself (ANZAC day) ensures we won't do that.

Are you a chance to win? Yes, mainly because of the unknown factors regarding the four day break and so many missing players from both sides, but let's not kid ourselves, you are not a premiership contending team yet, as we still are if we can regain our true form and get most of our players back.

We won't under estimate Essendon, in fact it may well be the other way around, with Essendon thinking for the first time in a long time they are a genuine chance to beat Collingwood, which they probably aren't.

I doubt Bucks would think that way

True.

What does the attitude at the club seem like? Obviously things arent tracking as planned, but is there any sense of panic or is it more caution without being too concerned?

I can't see the pies falling into the trap of complacency when things are going well, nor can i see them losing the plot when things arent perfect either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back