Review AFL Round 7 autopsy - Adelaide defeats Geelong by 50 points

Remove this Banner Ad

Maybe we should forget Danger all together and start talking up the Poodle. ;)

Someone should have told Danger

poodle_beware_of_gate_sign.jpg

I am suprised we are not giving Guthrie a run on the ball, he is a mile classier than the dismal Stringer and of the youngsters is the best ball winner.

Smedts is the most talented player we have drafted in years but boy does he need the mother of all hairdryers this week for some of his play today. That one hand, showy stuff is not how you play in the backline. Confidence is good but needs to go hard a few times or he will earn a reputation quickly.

Taylor Hunt, great kid.

Bad day at the office, but this is the price of rebuilding whilst trying to stay competitive, we are going to be all over the place at times. I can live with it, after all we are due another flag in 2013....

I attended the game today. Naturally, I'm feeling pretty flat... Today's game brought back some memories of late 90s/early 00s beltings where nothing goes right and everything the home team touches turns to gold. That second quarter onslaught was very hard to watch

From the naked eye:
a) Midfield were smashed
b) Skills/decision making sloppy
c) Nowhere near enough run, lazy on the spread
d) Not enough forward pressure
e) Zones looked easily penetrable and disorganized
f) We struggled to move the ball from defense.
g) Trent West needs real support so he can be put to use around the ground

Clearly, there were a fair few factors, which is a concern, buts it's early days and there are logical explanations for these, which can be addressed IMO:

a) As PO mentioned earlier, we need greater output from our key ball winners. If that means playing Bundy in there more, so be it. Bartel back should help too. I'm happy for there to be rotations but we need the midfield settled sooner rather than later. This should hopefully improve midfield output.

b) I think the lack of intensity throughout impacted on the skill level and exposed us to the Crows' pressure, which in turn, creates skill errors and turnovers. This of course, is also due to inexperience. Clearly, as players return, the age/experience profile won't be as unbalanced and the side will be FAR more cohesive.

c) We are missing Varcoe and Wojcinski significantly and against running sides on fast tracks, we are looking particularly vulnerable. When Barcoe returns we should see the wings/flanks occupied to minimize opposition spread into space. As the fitness/intensity improves, we should also become more accountable on the spread and when we start winning more of the ball, we should be able to move it fairly swiftly by boot.

d) The forwards need a rocket. Chasing, pressure and tackling were considerably poor today. Also, with Pods and Hawk bring pushed up the ground, the Mids kept firing it in long and high as if they were there, and the ball kept coming out easily.

e) Probably a combination of lack of run and a bunch of youngsters still learning the game plan and finding their feet at this level. I'm confident this aspect will come together

f) Sanderson employed a formidable zone/press today based on how we like to move the ball out of D50. Having Scarlett back should help but this should be seen as an opportunity to tinker how we bring the ball back into play

g) we need to give Orren a run, try the two rucks plan. It worked well last year and could give us some ascendency in the middle

Sorry to gasbag on. I need to get a lot off my chest!

And I need a drink

Bad day at the office, but this is the price of rebuilding whilst trying to stay competitive, we are going to be all over the place at times. I can live with it, after all we are due another flag in 2013....

ha ha . i love you beth.

I think alot comes down to Scott I don't think he's coaching well at all, or atleast the group isn't coaching well, so many "bad habits" have crept in my personal worst is opposition kick In's we almost never win it back and it's usually an un-contested mark from a 35-55m kick in it's pretty disgusting.

were you at the game?

yeah, i was. put my homework on hold to go see it... unfortunately turned out to be a bad move.

traffic on the way there was horrible, and we got there ten minutes late. i missed the only portion of the game where the cats broke even :eek:

real downer.

as a result, i saw gillies come off, but have heard nothing as to how bad the knee injury was.

yeah, i was. put my homework on hold to go see it... unfortunately turned out to be a bad move.

traffic on the way there was horrible, and we got there ten minutes late. i missed the only portion of the game where the cats broke even :eek:

real downer.

as a result, i saw gillies come off, but have heard nothing as to how bad the knee injury was.

have only heard the mechanism of injury, have not seen any footage, but if it was a landing , twisting injury, not happy.

g) Trent West needs real support so he can be put to use around the ground

He was so devastating when he floated forward at the business end of last season - teams just didn't have an answer! Plus when he did ruck he was fresher. I hope that they have a plan with Orren that given his age he isn't to play all the games.

I guess the one "positive" is that the players look disinterested at times rather than being talentless hacks. Having said that I'm not sure which is more disappointing. I have no doubt that this team will click- I just hope before it's too late.

We have been given a lifeline with west coast and the swans losing today re the top 4.

Lastly Varcoe is a huge out! To quote Joni Mitchell

"Don't it always seem to go
That you don't know what you've got
Till it's gone "

:D:D

Grab me a Bintang singlet, yeah? I've heard they're the thing to be seen in:thumbsu:

If I never see another Bintang singlet again I'll be a very happy girl :p

Does anyone know how bad Christensen's injury is? Is he a chance for next week ? (love how he plays, was a positive for me today until he limped off)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

have only heard the mechanism of injury, have not seen any footage, but if it was a landing , twisting injury, not happy.

Yeah it was.

It was kind of like "I'm off balance, I shouldn't really land on this leg but I need to keep my feet"

Did not look bad. But i reckon we need to let players make self assessments in the air. Sure, it may cost a goal. But we've all been there. Self preservation is not dumb.

There is no doubt we have been spoilt by this group and now the reality is we have had a huge, huge experience drain and the young guys will not be of the same calibre ......yet.
We are a real dilemma , we are the reigning Premiers but we are playing an incredible amount of inexperienced kids against Teams such as North and Adelaide who are on the rise with relatively experienced groups who have played together a long time.
We are going to get thumped occasionally and will most likely compete in Finals from outside the top four. There are many other experienced groups on the rise such as the Blues and Bombers so this season is going to be very tough.

So proud of what we have achieved but there is going to be pain before we get there again.

There is no doubt we have been spoilt by this group and now the reality is we have had a huge, huge experience drain and the young guys will not be of the same calibre ......yet.
We are a real dilemma , we are the reigning Premiers but we are playing an incredible amount of inexperienced kids against Teams such as North and Adelaide who are on the rise with relatively experienced groups who have played together a long time.
We are going to get thumped occasionally and will most likely compete in Finals from outside the top four. There are many other experienced groups on the rise such as the Blues and Bombers so this season is going to be very tough.

So proud of what we have achieved but there is going to be pain before we get there again.

A good summary.

I think we have to play another ruck man, regardless of their form. West is getting burnt out playing the sole ruck and Hawkins is not benefitting from playing in the ruck and it's messing with our forward structure. We have two of the better key forwards in the competition.. Let's keep it that way.

I've said it before but West is too small to play the 1st ruck role. He is a perfect 2nd ruck, but you saw how undersized he is against the monster Adelaide rucks. I'm not sure what his hit out stats are, but I'm banking it's not too high.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm wondering why we don't play Orren Stephenson? I mean, he is a similar size to Ottens, and we need another ruckman in. Is he injured, or is he a spud? I don't get why we would draft him, and then not play him.

Ca't believe I'm saying this, but it is too bad we don't even have Mark Blake. At least he won hitouts, and he would give West a rest for half-a-quarter.

Seeing Byrnes come in for Bartel gave me a sick feeling about the game. Obviously, losing Bartel of itself is a blow, but then putting faith in a clearly struggling player to just find something out of thin air showed a bit of desperation to me. It also went against the ethos of putting faith in the kids at every opportunity.

When Scarlett was out this morning I backed Adelaide because I knew Lonergan and Taylor would struggle to contain Tippett and Walker without him.

Then the effort just was not there. I honestly saw this as a huge game for us to shape the season and show everyone that we are still right amongst it. They barely gave a whimper. It felt like a round 22 game where we had already made the top 4 and were playing for no injuries.

Now I can't help but feel we will be making up the numbers. People will say that's an overreaction, but there's no invincibility there any more. Any team thinks they can beat us just with above average intensity.

My remaining hope is that Scott has several cards up his sleeve in terms of gameplan. Because what we have now is incapable of winning the flag. As the oft-used coach catchphrase goes - "we aren't being difficult to play against".

/rant :(

PS. I recognise that it's understandable to lose games with the side we are fielding. But I don't think the level of effort today was in any way acceptable. And it's just starting to hit me that this could be the beginning of the end for a great team. Up until now, even at the start of 2011, I had faith that we could still do it. Now I'm having serious doubts.

Good post & realistic summation I reckon. I got roundly criticized by many on here after the first 3 rounds when I suggested we were experiencing a "reality check" and that we could have been 3-0 and looking shaky to put up a serious premiership defense. Lots here were saying that because we've been great we will continue to be great. Not quite that easy. We haven't won contested possessions in a game yet - something that we excelled at previously. Someone convince me that we can still be a chance in 2012 - I'm not seeing it from where we sit now. :(

I think people forget that the team isnt trying to win it this year. Our expectations are too high after the past 6 years. We are starting the rebuild and its happening now. If people take notice of what the ceo/president/coach etc say.. we are aiming for 2016 to be up there again.
I love the way the club work. this is all apart of the plan. these young kids are doing well. just got some injuries so we cant rotate like last year

I'm fascinated to see what happens from here. After all,

(1) for me, Scarlo and Jimmy B are still the most important players in our team at this point. To lose both of them in the build-up is huge in my opinion.

(2) today was Scotty's first shellacking as Cats coach. First time in his tenure we haven't hit back in a game where we were being outplayed. His (and the club's) reaction to this will be illuminating. Will be great to gauge the response on Friday night against the Pies.

(3) we still have a number of players (if they can get back and get right) who will make a massive difference to this line-up. Varcoe, Menz, Wojak (and Daws in my opinion) would all be inclusions to the best 22, and would all have a significant impact in what's possible from this team.

I thought today's game looked really difficult for us coming in, and the withdrawal of our two most pivotal players before the bounce had me expecting a loss. The manner of the loss is the surprising point for me, and does have me thinking Tim Lane might finally be right (a couple of seasons later than he 'predicted'/hoped).

If this is the end of it all, so be it. It's been a 'season' in my life that I will never forget - a team that finally delivered my greatest unfulfilled wish in life, and went on to defy gravity year after year. But, for the reasons listed above, I'm not quite sure we're finished yet.

One thing is for sure - we're going to find out definitively very soon. And I'm ready to stand solidly behind the boys whichever way it shapes from here.

Keep the faith,
S.

Ha, the best part of my day was going to a bar tonight in Swan st Richmond (with wife and friends) and discovering they had a cocktail called the 'Tomahawk'. Not really thread relevant I know, but gave me a much needed :D

This game was the first game since that dreaded '06 match where we got thumped by 90-something points which I was unable attend at AAMI. I seem to have a knack of avoiding witnessing the floggings in SA first hand. I did however watch the game on TV, with the highlight being the delayed telecast which was shown in SA, interrupted to show (also in SA) Black Caviar win her 21st consecutive group 1 race win.

The other highlights in an otherwise shocker was the efforts of Selwood, Duncan and Poodle. I don't have much to add other than to say that these types of efforts will become less of an aberration and more a reality as we move into a transitional period where changing of the guard is not going to result in a seamless transition of the talent which was bestowed on those predecessors. The new guard will take time to develop, and this will mean some pain, but hopefully they can learn from the best, and have what it takes to be the best. Only time will tell.

I have faith, but its the same sort of faith I had in 2004; optimistic due to being a massive supporter but intellectually not thinking we had much of a chance. Same is happening this year really. We've lost alot of players over the years since 07, including replacing most of our spine. Age and general fatigue is taken its toll as well.

We wont go down without a fight; finals are still in the cards and I would be surprised if we didnt make it. But its now round 7, and this is where previously the boys would start ramping up. Instead, the form is about the same as it was in round 1. We will win more games then not, but unless there is a massive form chance we will struggle against teams that can match up against us.

However, the exciting thing now is seeing the development of our youngsters, and who knows, hopefully I am wrong and there is a massive surge midway.

If we beat Collingwood by 9 points next Friday night but once again lose the contested footy as well as a few other important stats, would you still believe in them for 2012?

Am not trying to be biased so don't shoot me down again as I just wanna know if people think we are still good enough if we defeat Collingwood on Friday is all?[/quote]

I'll tell ya after the side are announced.

When we have so many out thru injury and or retirement then hit a side running on top of the ground , thats what happens.

What we have to realise is most clubs with this amount out of their best would not be 4 and 3
Really need to take your rose-coloured glasses off. Recent thread showed the most typical best 22 of the current list only differs in personel by 3 (one of which is Menzel's inclusion, asuming the whole list is fit).

We only really have Wojo, Trav and Menzel to come in atm, so our issues ade NOT just personel. We should not have lost by 50.

I know the mantra on this board is blind faith, but really, we're not in the 2012 race. I know that's enough to have me ostracised 'round here, but it's the simple truth.

We shouldn't be ashamed a team that went 3 flags in 5 years is coming to an end, but peoples' unreserved devotion is going to make it sound like anything but a premiership this year is a failure. It's not.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review AFL Round 7 autopsy - Adelaide defeats Geelong by 50 points

Remove this Banner Ad

Back