Review AFL Round 8-Geelong defeats Carlton by 77 points

Remove this Banner Ad

All that time in the Melbourne defence would put strain on anyone's body.

Melbourne forwards from that era should have the opposite effect. ;)
Would that be Neitz, Yze and Robertson?

Noticed he still made quite a few poor choices with his disposal during general play but will remain (cautiously)optimistic about his prospects...
I've got to admit he does that a lot at vfl level.
I'm not sure that will leave his game.

Pretty smart when you think about it. Because kicking 40 metres to a contest won't show up on the stat sheet as an ineffective disposal :)

Yep a 'modern great' who eye gouges and chicken wings opponents and the AFL made allowances so he can get a Brownlow he shouldn't have got.

I would suggest he stopped being a 'modern great' when he had to resort to those behaviours. No role model there or 'great' skill required.

Mountains out of molehills. Ablett Senior, Lockett, Matthews, Diesel and Carey weren't angels on the field either.

Noticed he still made quite a few poor choices with his disposal during general play but will remain (cautiously)optimistic about his prospects...
I thought this too, but they all missed a few targets. Seems to be q confidence player, had one error in the last I believe, head dropped, quickly followed with another two errors. But when he was on early, was dominating. And a game like this could do alot for confidence plauers.

Plus his man bun is a bloody disgrace
We were saying that it was time for some players to stand up tonight.
Well, Wayne Carey on Channel 7 just gave places 1-2-3 to Caddy, Murdoch and Blicavs.

There's a lot to like about that!

Guthrie also improved, while Stanley and Stokes impressed me, as well.

Rivers all class, again.
Have reassessed my attitude to Carey after last night (although Mike, still, he's definitely not the best player of all time :rolleyes:) I was ropable that BT put the stats up last Saturday, criticising Selwood for having the most frees. So it was refreshing + I was delighted that Carey kept banging home the point that Selwood doesn't duck :hearts: that he rolls his shoulder to escape the tackle, but his head, while over the ball, remains up.
Massive lols to Carey for calling people on Twitter "nitwits" for saying Joel ducks.

Mr Bean - YouKnowWhoIMean-Small.jpg

;)

As for Guthrie and his guernsey-swapping, I'm just glad that it was that, rather than his perplexing sleeveless first half/long sleeve second half thing that he'd been doing this year. When your team isn't performing, it's little things like that that aggravate you.
Geez if swapping sleeves aggravates maybe you ought take up a hobby like cross stitch instead so you can focus on details that you can control.

Why do you have to be such a nudnik, if you don’t like something move on like everyone else instead of being a little kid and replying with a rolled eyes emotion.
Oh man, abet I've been wondering that for 12 months.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Positives: we won.

Negatives: spoilt and downright embarrassing supporters. I read the game day thread from hospital and was utterly appalled.

Go follow another club you pack of entitled morons.
Hope you are OK SoG? A good win! We've glimpsed our future in this game.

As for Guthrie and his guernsey-swapping, I'm just glad that it was that, rather than his perplexing sleeveless first half/long sleeve second half thing that he'd been doing this year. When your team isn't performing, it's little things like that that aggravate you.
You cannot be cereal, surely.

Different strokes for different folks I guess but that's pretty insignificant.

I'd take Menzel if he got a haircut.
Vintage Biggy! You are priceless Biggy! + you deserve a unicorn -

giphy.gif

In terms of the 77 point margin that's a solid Par based on how Carlton are playing.
However the pleasing aspect for the Cats is we actually delivered and the main contributors were overwhelmingly the young guys.
With SJ , Motlop and Selwood below par how good was it to see Ballroom , Murdoch , Caddy , Guthrie , Thurlow and Bews lead from the front with admirable support from Lang , Gregson, Kersten and Stanley.
Great to see Murdoch taking the game on by running with the pill and actually lowering his eyes on a couple of occasions to hit up a short pass , even his long kicks were more to advantage than what we have seen recently
I'm in awe of Blicavs , he has added composure in traffic to his skill set and just gives off quality ball in tight - confidence is high and a couple of times he faked a disposal and changed direction to find a better option - that's true footy nous. The relieving marks down back were also fantastic , how much better can he get?

Great test next week against the Eagles. An interstate win would be a fantastic boost for the young guys not to mention us supporters :D

As Priddis shows you just need to chug along. Stranger things have happened.
Also now that he is playing in the middle under the umpires noses all the time mixed with his choir boy manners i.e. never back chatting might garner him some votes over more vocal players

Always good to win by a big margin, but it was hardly a great performance last night.

Carlton are not AFL standard right now and I think that kind of result is par for the course. Not only is their list weak (just consider the Hawkins matchup), their effort and confidence levels are completely down. We should have beaten them by that much and probably more. I was actually disappointed to concede 63 to that kind of team. Perhaps the fact that they were so easy to play against it affected the players, but there wasn't much defensive pressure being put on by either side. It was NAB cup like.

Obviously positives re continued strong performances of the youngsters, thought Kersten was excellent etc... all that is great. And I'm happy for Murdoch to play well and kick 4, but I don't think it proves that much. The question is how you play against the better teams, not a team that is on the verge of sacking its senior coach. Just trying to be realistic... As others have said, can't take much away from that kind of game for mine.

Bring on the Eagles!

Geez if swapping sleeves aggravates maybe you ought take up a hobby like cross stitch instead so you can focus on details that you can control.

It's more a case of wondering if a guy's mind is sufficiently focused on the game, or on some strange superstition. Some people would feel the same way about a 'look at me' hairstyle, or a player going on media street when his team is getting done by 10 goals every week. I really don't see much difference.

You've been getting your panties in a wad over Guthrie wearing long sleeve jumper in the 2nd half of games ?

5851484.gif

Remove this Banner Ad

Review AFL Round 8-Geelong defeats Carlton by 77 points

Remove this Banner Ad

Back