Review AFL Round 8-Geelong defeats Carlton by 77 points

Remove this Banner Ad

As for Guthrie and his guernsey-swapping, I'm just glad that it was that, rather than his perplexing sleeveless first half/long sleeve second half thing that he'd been doing this year. When your team isn't performing, it's little things like that that aggravate you.

Liked the rest of the post, but this little aside is little short of ridiculous.

Liked the rest of the post, but this little aside is little short of ridiculous.

I'm sorry about that.

Put it this way: if Guthrie was running out in black boots in the first half of every game of the season, then he changed to one fluro pink and one fluro yellow boot for the second half of every game, I think a lot of our supporters would think 'whatever' about it if we were winning, but would think 'WTF? Maybe worry a bit more about the game!' about it if the team was battling. And I really don't see much difference between that and the guernsey thing that he was doing in the early part of the year.

I'm sorry about that.

Put it this way: if Guthrie was running out in black boots in the first half of every game of the season, then he changed to one fluro pink and one fluro yellow boot for the second half of every game, I think a lot of our supporters would think 'whatever' about it if we were winning, but would think 'WTF? Maybe worry a bit more about the game!' about it if the team was battling. And I really don't see much difference between that and the guernsey thing that he was doing in the early part of the year.

MCED, when you're cracking jokes, you're supposed to use one of these gadgets upload_2015-5-23_22-29-22.png :D

Daniel Menzel - Prophet: "I hope my brother gets a few goals but the boys run away with it"
(half time interview)

I heard that, after the interview, Daniel Menzel turned to walk away and did his knee again for a fifth time.

(Not really, but it wouldn't surprised me if "hospital case" does injure his knee again).

I liked that we didn't fade out, or let Carlton kick a sucession of goals on us.

I thought that, come the third quarter, we would let through 6 opposition goals, and not kick one ourselves, like other weeks, but we won all four quarters.

You should see Gregson + Lang together :hearts: They are so cute the way they stick together + go off on adventures. I observed them last weekend, coming + going from the team hotel. They just seemed to be in a world of there own, it was adorable! So jolly + enjoying one another's company! Reminded me of -

billnben.gif

Or

b9d58fea01a8555e396316e270916887.jpg

Utterly delightful to see these two Kittens having a terrific time together, just :hearts: warming.
So you're the reason why Turbocat questioned Gregson's sexual preference! Geez, kitty! You've got a lot to answer for. Perhaps we don't have anything to worry about afterall manboob Catatonic Shock

So you're the reason why Turbocat questioned Gregson's sexual preference! Geez, kitty! You've got a lot to answer for. Perhaps we don't have anything to worry about afterall manboob Catatonic Shock
I wouldn't worry at all if he loves a bit of manboob on the side or even as his main dish! It would go some way as to explaining why he is such a good tackler... grrr.
tiger-smiley-emoticon.gif

I'm sorry about that.

If Guthrie switching jumpers really
Even causes you one minutes stress, **** man. Go see a psych and sort out your childhood. Honestly...

I'm sorry about that.

Now you're taking the piss…….

You are, aren't you?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am liking his endeavor to try and win more contested footy. That's been one issue I've personally had with his game but it's clear that the match committee are working with him on this. Similar to Motlop in that regard. If we are to slowly climb the ladder again, these guys are going to have to start winning 7, 8 contested possessions per game as our midfield is simply not good enough to play so many uncontested types at the one time.
Next week will really show where we're at, West Coast aint a Sydney or Hawthorn or Freo that you'd expect to beat us up late in the game, if we win over there it'll be our kids that do it. I think it's a massive challenge for them this week that I think at their best they're equal to...but it'll be just interesting to see if they're flat track bullies or can back it up when it counts and start to build the confidence of the whole club and start seeing this team as their own.

Last edited:
yep I agree. I'm still not sure we are heading in the right direction though. We have lost Christensen & Varcoe but gained Clark & Stanley and yet, we are now 7 goals behind the likes of Hawthorn, North Melbourne & Fremantle, three teams we beat just last year. That's an almighty drop off in such a short space of time.

The corresponding game against West Coast last year, we won by 75 points. Will we even be able to score 75 points for the entire game this time around?
Quite sensational the fall at the moment.
Obviously having seen my previous posts this year you know I think Scott isn't a great coach but I'm still willing somewhat to give him the benefit of the doubt. I feel like we are slowly improving and I'm leaning toward thinking when we play the best teams again at the end of the year we'll get better results. We did what we had to last night by destroying a woeful team, it was the closest thing to our first 4 quarter performance of the year. As I said above this week is crucial I'd go as far to say if we win this week we'll certainly make the 8, I think an away win against West Coast could really build spirit in the team especially with the young guys. It's now a waiting game.

yep I agree. I'm still not sure we are heading in the right direction though. We have lost Christensen & Varcoe but gained Clark & Stanley and yet, we are now 7 goals behind the likes of Hawthorn, North Melbourne & Fremantle, three teams we beat just last year. That's an almighty drop off in such a short space of time.

The corresponding game against West Coast last year, we won by 75 points. Will we even be able to score 75 points for the entire game this time around?

Remove Clark and Stanley and replace them with Christensen and Varcoe and we'd still be 4-4 and have lost to hawthorn, Sydney, freo and North. That's not the reason for our drop off, plus, last year we weren't a 'top side' so to speak, we just somehow managed to grab a top 4 spot, but our 2 finals games were horrendous.

We've fallen away a bit this season but our loses have come to teams that are just better than us, simple as that, well maybe apart from North. But the other 3 are just better, no shame in that. Can't expect the cats to be top 4 every season, there was always going to come a time when we struggled and this season we will most likely break even with wins and loses.

Remove Clark and Stanley and replace them with Christensen and Varcoe and we'd still be 4-4 and have lost to hawthorn, Sydney, freo and North. That's not the reason for our drop off, plus, last year we weren't a 'top side' so to speak, we just somehow managed to grab a top 4 spot, but our 2 finals games were horrendous.

We've fallen away a bit this season but our loses have come to teams that are just better than us, simple as that, well maybe apart from North. But the other 3 are just better, no shame in that. Can't expect the cats to be top 4 every season, there was always going to come a time when we struggled and this season we will most likely break even with wins and loses.
Yeah that's what I reckon 11 and 11 come years end.

Past results are no guarantee of future performance.

What's more, Stanley and Clark appear to be excellent pickups. Effective key forwards and mobile ruck man are treasures to behold and nurture. Travis clearly needed the change, and Christensen has been a reasonable performer but not much more so far. Personally, I am more than happy to have Clark and Stanley in the hoops.

PS: We are not 7 goals behind North.

Some of our football has better than last year. I think we are building towards something for the long term, whereas last year I didn't feel that. We were going sideways, somehow holding the fort before the invevitable fall.

This team feels different. The emergence of Blicavs has been huge.

Not a top 4 finish, maybe not a top 8 finish, but at least I feel this is a new team doing it their own way and not a team clinging onto past glories with some heroic wins.

Stanley and Clark have been a big part of it. Stanley is a better player than Clark though.

Some of our football has better than last year. I think we are building towards something for the long term, whereas last year I didn't feel that. We were going sideways, somehow holding the fort before the invevitable fall.

Not a top 4 finish, maybe not a top 8 finish, but at least I feel this is a new team doing it their own way and not a team clinging onto past glories with some heroic wins.

Stanley and Clark have been a big part of it. Stanley is a better player than Clark though.
This is a good point. We've been on the precipice of this 'new era' for years but it feels real now.

I don't know that Stanley's a better player than Clark but I reckon both have huge upside. Stanley perhaps more so but Clark has been very good for us so far and would be served even better by a better midfield.

Very early call on Stanley and Clark. Clark is our leading goalkicker, Stanley has been beaten every game as a hitout ruckman (though he has helped to make it up in other ways).

o_O I must have missed Turbo's post, but I think I have pretty good gaydar, Gregson doesn't seem gay to me, upon reflection. However, it's not really usual for me to think about anyone's sexual preference, all that matters is we are all Geelong Cats. But if someone is of the Poos+Wees persuasion they're cut dead! ;)
Although, with you addressing Turbocat + tagging manboob + Catatonic Shock is there something we should know about your intentions towards young Gregson? :p :D Just let him focus on his footy FFS! :D

Remove this Banner Ad

Review AFL Round 8-Geelong defeats Carlton by 77 points

Remove this Banner Ad

Back