Preview AFL Round 9 - Geelong v Western Bulldogs, Etihad Stadium, 7:50PM Friday 25 May

Predict the winner and margin

• Western Bulldogs by 49+

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Western Bulldogs by 25-48

• Western Bulldogs by 1-24

• Draw

• Geelong by 1-24

• Geelong by 25-48

• Geelong by 49+

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
this kind of post annoys me.

based on the last 5 years, can you honestly tell me there is any type of game we 'usually' lose.

You needed to be around in 2007 to get the joke behind posts like that.

To cut a long story short, after the North game in Round 5 that year, we started saying each upcoming game was "the kind of game we usually lose" and we ended up winning week in, week out, so we kept saying it to keep up the streak.

I think some of us are hoping the old magic regarding that phrase comes back, so we're starting to use it more and more.

Could be updated to 'the kind of player who usually takes us to the cleaners', for the modern era, with a picture of Gia. Ever noticed how it tends to be players like Gram, Schneider, Gia, Higgins, Banfield, Monfries, Beams and that ilk who have big games against us? Not terrible players, by any means, but (without doing any research on the subject) it never seems to be the true A-graders who destroy us; it's the under-the-radar guys.

Sounds like he's putting his name forward,but considering we have got Christensen and Wojo not to far away and Varcoe and Menzel who would more likely take a smalls place to follow and to lesser extent Byrnes and Hogan on the list and I've probably missed some one not best 22 last week,were going to have a lot of smalls disappointed each week as players come back from injury and suspension.
Where as pardon the pun where a bit short on big bodied talls,so hoping your info dodgy and it's Walker:D.

I think the thing is though we are having issues with contested ball and midfield depth, and spread, and thus there's more of a spot for Simpkin than Walker as he's played permanent mid in the 2's for a while now, and other than Hogan who is MIA, he's really the only other ready to go clearance guy in our vfl team.

By contrast, if they want to play Orren through the middle part of the year, that pretty much rules out playing another tall which is harsh on Walker because he's killing it in the 2's, but that's how it is. Once we've got Varcoe and Wojo back to add more legspeed we can look at carrying an extra tall in our structure, so I have no doubt Josh will debut at some stage.

Given our midfield issues and Simpkin's current form in the 2's it's a fairly logical selection.

I think the thing is though we are having issues with contested ball and midfield depth, and spread, and thus there's more of a spot for Simpkin than Walker as he's played permanent mid in the 2's for a while now, and other than Hogan who is MIA, he's really the only other ready to go clearance guy in our vfl team.

By contrast, if they want to play Orren through the middle part of the year, that pretty much rules out playing another tall which is harsh on Walker because he's killing it in the 2's, but that's how it is. Once we've got Varcoe and Wojo back to add more legspeed we can look at carrying an extra tall in our structure, so I have no doubt Josh will debut at some stage.

Given our midfield issues and Simpkin's current form in the 2's it's a fairly logical selection.
is it his brother who is a Saint? That Simpkin has been impressive recently, that may also be fresh on the MC radar.

is it his brother who is a Saint? That Simpkin has been impressive recently, that may also be fresh on the MC radar.

Yes, Tom is his younger brother.

He started as a rookie too, hopefully for Joffa's sake he can follow the same path.

Could be updated to 'the kind of player who usually takes us to the cleaners', for the modern era, with a picture of Gia. Ever noticed how it tends to be players like Gram, Schneider, Gia, Higgins, Banfield, Monfries, Beams and that ilk who have big games against us? Not terrible players, by any means, but (without doing any research on the subject) it never seems to be the true A-graders who destroy us; it's the under-the-radar guys.

I've been saying this for years!

The names Nick Davis & Stewie Dew are relevant.

As for the game, I'm one of those that felt very optimistic after Fridays loss. It was something intangible, but they seemed sharper, or more in unison with one another for the first time this year. Now that I've said that, they're likely to get pumped this weekend (perish the thought) but I agree with those tipping us by 75+

(hopefully)

Watched a bit of Giansiracusa this year...he's on his final leg, just isn't the player he was 3 years ago and never ever took that next step up in his development as a player which was unfortunate for Dog fans but he's very much a Montagna style of player and won't ever be the type to get the pill when it's really physical.

I reckon he's too smart fro Guthrie and maybe Enright will get the job on him as his speed has dropped off considerably and won't worry Boris too much.
Higgins is totally unpredictable and very much their most important player, confident Hunt will take him and really be sure to put in a top performance this week.

The new bloke Dickson could be an issue as none of our players have played on him before and can only go by the review tapes etc.

At the start of the year he had plantar fasciitis, which explains his poor early form. Same thing as Josh Kennedy, but Gia's went all the way through or something, which is better apparently.

You're very wrong on not getting the ball when it's physical. He's been played out of position most of his career. He is easily better in the midfield than forward, but he has had to play down there due to necessity.

Also, Higgins our most important player? :eek::confused:

MC Extra Dollop, if you post your preview in our thread, I'll add it to our OP, if you'd like. Great post mate :thumbsu:

Stellar preview MC... stellar....

Like all the previews here such a classy analysis...

Leaves Hun for dead....

Go Catters

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tickets for this Friday night v Western Bulldogs

Hi guys,

I have recently bought a Geelong Melbourne Membership for this season and was wondering what I should do in regards to the game this Friday night against the dogs.

My membership gets me into all Geelong home games and access to away games in Melbourne. With the exception of fully ticketed matches, such as blockbusters at Etihad.

Anyway, this Friday shouldn’t be too much of a worry for getting access to the general admission area. Yet I am trying to grab a general admission ticket for my Dad in advance (who isn’t a member) and was wondering if the general admission area is the same for everyone or if I will only be able to sit in a certain area and my Dad in another?

If someone can clarify for me it would be great.

Thanks in advance.

Go cats!!!!!

So we know Simpkin will play and we expect Scarlett is right also. Smedts will be one out but who will the second one be? I wonder if Josh Hunt really is carrying an injury-could be him? Hmm.

That must spell bad news for Hogan surely. If we going to get a game in the seniors, it would be now, wouldn't it? Instead they bring in Simpkin, who seems like a similar player-type.
Is it heading towards trade/delist for Hogan at the end of the year??

That must spell bad news for Hogan surely. If we going to get a game in the seniors, it would be now, wouldn't it? Instead they bring in Simpkin, who seems like a similar player-type.

There's still a long way to go in the year, but yes, Simpkin's elevation isn't good news for Hogan.

Having said that he hasn't been in the vfl the last couple of weeks so he may be injured, and may get selected if he's fit in the second half of the year.

But certainly they are similar players, probably the only two players in our vfl side (until Schroder builds his fitness base) that can give us more impact at the contested ball and address our issue there.

Perhaps they are taking it slowly with Hogan given his personal issues last year & not wanting to thrust him into the limelight so soon?

But perhaps there is an injury there too and they needed to elevate one or the other to help the seniors and it was just unfortunate for Hogan he may be injured.

Hogan is injured.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back